• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Data usage issue

Mattyxboxfan

Hi there,

I have gone from an unlimited usage data package with my old Iphone on to a limited data package on my SG2.

I have already had an email from 02 regarding the high data usage (80mb in one day!) whilst I was away from home for the day.

My only explanation for this must be the widgets that I have (sky news, weather, shares, etc etc) which must regularly sync and update and thus cause data usage over and beyond my emails (of which I get a lot).

My question is this....is it possible to instruct the phone to sync and update as much as it wants to on Wifi but to ask permission before allowing any data transfer on 3G/phone network? If so, can the phone determine the connection itself and stop me having to manually turn things off and on?

Many thanks
Matt

kchain

Looks like there are a couple of apps on the Market place that offer what you want.

Try WiSync or SyncWifi - both of which seem to allow you to set syncing only when connected to Wifi. They both have mixed reviews though.

Hard to believe though that syncing apps could account for all of that 80mb of data usage. My phone barely uses 5mb in a day although I only have a few apps e.g. email, weather, facebook and twitter.

There is an app called Traffic Counter Extended that looks like it can monitor your data usage per app. Might be worth giving that a go and see if there's a particular culprit using all that data.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom