Samsung Galaxy Note9 Review & Comments

It looks like the Note 9 (as with the predecessor) does not support aptx HD (standard aptx only). Shame - as a lot of the competition (many that are cheaper) support aptx HD.

Display and build quality rating in "The Rundawn" doesn't make any sense whatsover.
Both are best on the market and giving anything less than 10 at this point is simply stup...
While other categories might be more subjective, those aren't.
I like your reviews but it seems someone just doesn't like Samsung.... Completely nonprofessional.

I like the Note concept but the prices are really going over the roof. I think Samsung and Apple have gone into a race to see which can bring the most ridiculous prices for a phone.

512GB of storage means that one has to be backing it up regularly. If the phone dies, that is a lot data potentially lost.

I like the Note concept but the prices are really going over the roof. I think Samsung and Apple have gone into a race to see which can bring the most ridiculous prices for a phone.

512GB of storage means that one has to be backing it up regularly. If the phone dies, that is a lot data potentially lost.

I haven't had a Samsung phone for a while, but doesn't it backup everything automatically to the cloud like Apple does? So that if the phone dies everything is safe?

The Bad
  • Not everyone needs a stylus
When it comes to a phone engineered for taking Notes, designed for taking Notes, marketed around taking Notes, whose sole differentiator seems to be the ability to take Notes, such that it is named around the function of taking Notes, it seems a bit petty to criticise the very thing that enables the taking of Notes, as something not everybody needs. Surely if they don't need/want a stylus to make Notes, then they have no business considering the device full-stop?

I haven't had a Samsung phone for a while, but doesn't it backup everything automatically to the cloud like Apple does? So that if the phone dies everything is safe?
They do. However, that is the first thing I disable. I want no data of mine in any cloud or jet stream :).

The Bad
When it comes to a phone engineered for taking Notes, designed for taking Notes, marketed around taking Notes, whose sole differentiator seems to be the ability to take Notes, such that it is named around the function of taking Notes, it seems a bit petty to criticise the very thing that enables the taking of Notes, as something not everybody needs. Surely if they don't need/want a stylus to make Notes, then they have no business considering the device full-stop?
I think the stylus is the best feature. I am still on the Note 3 and love the stylus.

Last edited:
The Bad
Disclaimer: Note 4 owner

I think it reads inelegantly because the article does not really deal with the suggested negative - but some might think the negative speaks for itself and needs no expansion.

In isolation it is reasonable that not everyone has need for a stylus pen and note writing abilities. But if that is so there are innumerable alternatives. Samsung have their own Galaxy S9 and S9 plus offerings for example. The article perhaps could have detailed why a buyer may want to still opt for the Note 9 over others when taking the stylus pen out of the equation. Or conversely why a buyer should opt for other options over the Note 9 if the stylus pen does not matter to them.

C'est la vie

I love the stylus and the insane storage space.
Always been a fan of samsung's display panels.

The Bad

This comment in the bad section seems a little ridiculous. An equivalent comment on a TV review would be that not everyone needs ambilight on a Philips TV. If the buyer doesn't want ambilight then the natural suggestion would be for them to consider any of several other great TVs. The stylus is not a con, it is a feature, the value of which is to be evaluated by the reader.

I find shocking that it is impossible to find the specifications in the Samsung Website.

Does anyone know if the UK version will support dual sim as well?
There is a dual sim version but you need check that the seller is actually selling the dual sim one. We have both versions in the UK.

I can see why people would go for a Note and those people prefer a stylus and mega storage and battery capacity. 8/10 doesn't seem to add up.

I have an S9 which I bought predominantly over the Note because of it's size. I don't like super large phones I can't use in one hand. That's not a reason for me to downgrade the Note 9 objectively.

I find shocking that it is impossible to find the specifications in the Samsung Website.
Ha you are correct. Nice flashy graphics and transition effects but clearly Samsung think detail is superfluous :D

Ha you are correct. Nice flashy graphics and transition effects but clearly Samsung think detail is superfluous :D
I can only speculate that they are doing it to avoid complains from customers when a feature does not work. If it is not officially publicised, it never existed.

I hate when I cannot find the technical specifications. I know that Samsung has the habit of disabling Broadcom chips when one is on holidays in the "Wrong" country. Leaving us high and dry when trying to use any Wi-Fi feature.

The Bad
  • Pricey
  • Too big for some hands
I don't think I paid too much for a high end phone tbh.
Suits me perfectly and my petite OH (has Note 3 in a shell) finds it fine (has asked for one)
Lucky it sits tucked away for those that don't use, for me it is perfect and is used.

I change phones a lot and have never had a Samsung Note series phone, today I bit the bullet and have ordered a Note 9. Something every written and video review seems to omit is reference to a Notification LED, does this phone have one? Not a deal breaker but I find it very handy on my OnePlus 6.

So the majority of the reviews out there have declared this the best most complete phone out there period, yet you only marked it a 8 out of 10?!

Last edited:
Every review I've read has the fact it's big down as a negative. Irks me every time.

I was the same and someone who has been a long time iphone user (had my 6s for since 2012 - and others before that) I took the plunge on the note 9. After only playing with it for a few minutes I knew I was going to enjoy the experience. Yes its big, but also nice having so much more real estate and wow that screen is crisp! Yes you can go with a 'big' iphone but the whole experience with the note, s pen is what sets it apart from the competition. So much can be done that an iphone would never allow you too. I've got a lot of learning to do as I am kinda new to android but something tells me I'm going to have doing it! Defo more polished since my last dabble with android.

Also on the size point - the note has a couple of features to help negate single hand usage such as the single hand keyboard which can be shifted left or right and another feature that allows you to shrink the whole screen by either swiping from each corner or triple tapping the home button.

Reading the review yet again it looks to have been done by someone that has handled the product for a few hours and then moved on to something else.

Every review I've read has the fact it's big down as a negative. Irks me every time.
Often I find forum posts and YouTube videos are a better and more balanced resource than the review by the established-tech-site-bought-out-by-old-media

I think it comes down to needing good editing of reviews and say what context and in what perspective the pros and cons are given. So big for its class relative to competitors in the same class? Big only for people with small hands? Big if you wear tight jeans? And tell me if the size is necessary for the practical task of writing with a stylus pen

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom