Samsung Galaxy Note 20 phones. Whose buying....

So had it 24 hours and it's great other than one worrying issue which is battery life. I'll give it another 24 hours to see if it improves but so far it's way worse than my iPhone Pro.

Some amazing things and features, the screen is awesome, I like the UI, camera is different to the iPhone but excellent nonetheless. Typing is much better on this phone v iPhone.

But...

I have to have good battery life for work and if it can't last a full day with a lot of use then it's useless. I suspect the Exynos is to blame but I'll see if it optimises it I've next 24/48 hours. If not, it's going back!

So had it 24 hours and it's great other than one worrying issue which is battery life. I'll give it another 24 hours to see if it improves but so far it's way worse than my iPhone Pro.

Some amazing things and features, the screen is awesome, I like the UI, camera is different to the iPhone but excellent nonetheless. Typing is much better on this phone v iPhone.

But...

I have to have good battery life for work and if it can't last a full day with a lot of use then it's useless. I suspect the Exynos is to blame but I'll see if it optimises it I've next 24/48 hours. If not, it's going back!

only problem, same for me, is that holding most phones in comparison to the iPhone 11 Pro /max in battery life isalways going to result in disappointment. I usually buy several flagships per year and nothing has ever come close to the latest iPhone for me. Samsung phones charge blazingly fast, so that does soften the blow somewhat

I've no idea about the iPhone 11 Pro battery’s life but the “equivalent” (Max vs Ultra) with 512 GB is coming at 1500 pounds 220 more expensive than the Note 20 and no 5G yet, no 8K video recording, and the obvious selling point of the Note, the pen. I am sure that both sets will have an extremely long list of pros and cons.

From a personal point of view, the absence of 5G is really a deal breaker. If I am paying 1500 pounds for a phone, I would like it to be a more technologically prepared. I know that 5G is not widely available, but it is the future for sure. Android phones are already on their 2nd or 3rd generation with 5G.

I've no idea about the iPhone 11 Pro battery’s life but the “equivalent” (Max vs Ultra) with 512 GB is coming at 1500 pounds 220 more expensive than the Note 20 and no 5G yet, no 8K video recording, and the obvious selling point of the Note, the pen. I am sure that both sets will have an extremely long list of pros and cons.

From a personal point of view, the absence of 5G is really a deal breaker. If I am paying 1500 pounds for a phone, I would like it to be a more technologically prepared. I know that 5G is not widely available, but it is the future for sure. Android phones are already on their 2nd or 3rd generation with 5G.

Deleted as I misread the above.

Last edited:
Yeah Apple closed system is bad but also good because the Apple chips deliver battery optimisation and speed. iPhones do not need lots of ram like Android flagships

iPhone maintains value better. Samsung depreciates faster

Android smartphones are doing more interesting things with display tech (refresh rate and res)

P.s. I think the post by @Har-One is meant to read iPhones lack 5G, but going to change in two months when the latest iPhones are announced

I'm still rocking my oppo find x2 Pro. In as much as I am tempted by the long term calling of the note series, I realise I hardly touch or use the spen at all and this whole exynos vs sd issue has really made me resent Sammy phones but I'm happy and jealous of all you guys rocking your new note 20's 😂..

If the battery doesn't improve over the next week, it's going back in afraid. Shame if that happens as I do like it a lot

If the battery doesn't improve over the next week, it's going back in afraid. Shame if that happens as I do like it a lot
Usually the battery does settle down after a while. I find when I have a new phone, I use it so much more, to explore the features and after a while, it's back to basic use.

Usually the battery does settle down after a while. I find when I have a new phone, I use it so much more, to explore the features and after a while, it's back to basic use.
That's true and I'm given it a hammering today, I've used it all day, faffed with layout, transferred data over from iPhone, watched YouTube, downloaded apps, few phone calls, bit of music and I'm down to 15%.

Will see how I go, it does make me realise what a machine the iPhone is in terms of its battery.

Those who bought the note 20, did you buy it for the spen?. Reason I ask is because I have just seen a comparison with the Samsung galaxy s20 ultra and it seems to be better in most features, unless of course one needs the spen.

I would be careful with reviews, I've also seen many the opposite way, especially camera, which now has a better auto focus. In the US especially there is the upgraded Snapdragon as well in the Note. I think the Exynos chip will be the reason I return mine sadly. One review I looked at said there was a 20% battery difference between UK v US version!

I would be careful with reviews, I've also seen many the opposite way, especially camera, which now has a better auto focus. In the US especially there is the upgraded Snapdragon as well in the Note. I think the Exynos chip will be the reason I return mine sadly. One review I looked at said there was a 20% battery difference between UK v US version!
Oh yes definitely, the exynos is an issue but was just wandering, if it's all about the spen as there isn't much of a difference between the note 20 ultra and galaxy s20 ultra. If anything the S20 ultra is even cheaper. I suppose unless if you are getting the sd version of phone then yes, it's a definite improvement with the sd+ processor, sadly though we still get the same exynos in the S20!

One thing that really bugged me, with the S20 plus was the heat it emitted, even at moderate use. How's the note 20 ultra, anyone noticed any heat issues?

I swore I wouldn't get this one but scanning eBay Friday night and a brand new sealed one popped up for £795.00 couldn't resist! it arrived today and I love it!

For anyone after one who doesn't want to pay the RRP can I recommend trying eBay they aren't selling particularly well there so you'll definitely pick one up new sealed for around £950 or less if your prepared to go via eBay, I just got lucky.

I swore I wouldn't get this one but scanning eBay Friday night and a brand new sealed one popped up for £795.00 couldn't resist! it arrived today and I love it!

For anyone after one who doesn't want to pay the RRP can I recommend trying eBay they aren't selling particularly well there so you'll definitely pick one up new sealed for around £950 or less if your prepared to go via eBay, I just got lucky.
Is that the ultra or regular version? If its the ultra, that's The right steal!

Is that the ultra or regular version? If its the ultra, that's The right steal!

Yeah it's the Ultra 256gb on Three paid £795 including delivery, I'm on Three anyway but their phones are unlocked and the guy sent all the paperwork and has been selling since 2010.

I know there's horror stories of phones being blocked or insurance scams but in 8 years buying and selling it's never happened to me and when the savings are as big as this it's worth the risk the savings I've made over the years is thousands over RRP.

I've the paperwork, the eBay transaction details, and the checkmend report done so Ive done all I can to keep myself right as I always do.

Yeah it's the Ultra 256gb on Three paid £795 including delivery, I'm on Three anyway but their phones are unlocked and the guy sent all the paperwork and has been selling since 2010.

I know there's horror stories of phones being blocked or insurance scams but in 8 years buying and selling it's never happened to me and when the savings are as big as this it's worth the risk the savings I've made over the years is thousands over RRP.

I've the paperwork, the eBay transaction details, and the checkmend report done so Ive done all I can to keep myself right as I always do.
[/QUOTE
Phew, can't belive prices are already tumbling down like this!

I was lucky to get mine soo low but there's been a few going for £900 odd, so give it another few weeks and they will be about £800-£900.

Always the same with Samsung phones they drop like a stone once released

I was lucky to get mine soo low but there's been a few going for £900 odd, so give it another few weeks and they will be about £800-£900.

Always the same with Samsung phones they drop like a stone once released
Yes that's a fair point. To be honest unless I pick one up for more or less the same price as you did, I ain't touching it 😂..

I gave in to temptation and got the note 20 ultra. It arrived today. I went for the free game pad. That came last week along with an upright charger
As expected the phone feels identical to the note 10 plus. Blu Ray Videos look identical on both. But I expected that.
I don't use the pen.
Unless people like new toys or have the Samsung upgrade program then it's pointless going from the note 10 plus to the 20 ultra. Of course there's gaming.
The xbox games pass xcloud system looks vvg. I've already tried the steam streaming system with the old phone and gamepad. It's very impressive
Graphics are super super.

I gave in to temptation and got the note 20 ultra. It arrived today. I went for the free game pad. That came last week along with an upright charger
As expected the phone feels identical to the note 10 plus. Blu Ray Videos look identical on both. But I expected that.
I don't use the pen.
Unless people like new toys or have the Samsung upgrade program then it's pointless going from the note 10 plus to the 20 ultra. Of course there's gaming.
The xbox games pass xcloud system looks vvg. I've already tried the steam streaming system with the old phone and gamepad. It's very impressive
Graphics are super super.
Wait have you used the ultra with 120hz refresh rate? If so surely you must notice a difference?

Wait have you used the ultra with 120hz refresh rate? If so surely you must notice a difference?
No I've gone for the better quality screen wqhd. I don't believe you can get 120hz with wqhd. I don't want to use fhd.
Let's not forget that the note 10 plus went past human limit of perception with on screen pixels. The most humans can see is around 650. Anything above is invisible
I'll play around with the refresh rate tomorrow.
I've just compared the same bluray video using mx player on max settings on both the note 10 plus and new phone side by side
The 20 is on 120hz and 10 on 60hz
Both videos look identical. There's no improvement with 120hz. None whatsoever. Pq is stunning either way I've gone back to the higher res as the 60hz is easier on the battery.

Last edited:
No I've gone for the better quality screen wqhd. I don't believe you can get 120hz with wqhd. I don't want to use fhd.
Let's not forget that the note 10 plus went past human limit of perception with on screen pixels. The most humans can see is around 650. Anything above is invisible
I'll play around with the refresh rate tomorrow.
I've just compared the same bluray video using mx player on max settings on both the note 10 plus and new phone side by side
The 20 is on 120hz and 10 on 60hz
Both videos look identical. There's no improvement with 120hz. None whatsoever. Pq is stunning either way I've gone back to the higher res as the 60hz is easier on the battery.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the refresh rate to do with using the phone, scrolling etc? Not watching videos.

I thought it was a variable refresh rate so the display adjusts to content and when higher refresh is actually needed (also saving battery life), or can it be set to a fixed rate?

I guess that it is safe to assume that this phone has not generated as much interest as its predecessors, at least among members of these forums.

I was expecting a bit more from it. I wonder if the exynos CPU has cooled people’s interest. Saying that, I do not think most people will know about CPU. In the other hand, I think most people buying this sort of phones will be looking at the specs.

Any new owner's experience?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom