Samsung Galaxy Note 20 phones. Whose buying....

marvi0

So the note 20 phones have now been announced, sadly again Samsung gives us in Europe, the more inferior exynos processor, whilst the states will have the sd865+. Whose buying? I for one have always liked the super user form factor of the note series but since I found out how inferior the exynos is, never am I giving them my money, unless if I am buying the sd version!. What are your thoughts...

Steven

Senior Moderator
My short answer is not at those prices, however, the depreciation on Galaxy / Galaxy Note is quite something if you are willing to wait six to twelve months. For example S10+ Europe model is now below £650 for 128gb or 512gb

In the Pixel 4a thread it was mentioned Samsung's commitment and speed to Android updates is off putting.

At this event Samsung committed to updates for "three versions" for Galaxy / Note handsets. The sales drop this year must have had an effect :p

marvi0

My short answer is not at those prices, however, the depreciation on Galaxy / Galaxy Note is quite something if you are willing to wait six to twelve months. For example S10+ Europe model is now below £650 for 128gb or 512gb

In the Pixel 4a thread it was mentioned Samsung's commitment and speed to Android updates is off putting.

At this event Samsung committed to updates for "three versions" for Galaxy / Note handsets. The sales drop this year must have had an effect :p
😂 The last straw for me, was finding out that in Korea, the company's home ground, apparently they sell them the sd version of their phones, that tells you something. I'm staying away from exynos untill they at least address the difference in performance and battery life,which I doubt they would ever do!

GreyMutton

I've ordered the Note 20 to replace my mate 20 pro. Comes with the game controller and a wireless charging stand. I had a note 4 and I liked the S pen so I'm looking forward to using it again.
I'm using the Samsung upgrade programme and paying monthly 0% interest. Once I sell the mate 20 pro, pay off the contract and go sim only I'll be paying the same as I am now. I'm perfectly happy with that.
Fully aware I'm paying early adopter premium but its a treat to myself as I've been working a lot since lockdown. I totally agree that it's bollocks we don't get the SD865+ here but, in normal use, I'll never notice the difference.
I pay for game pass ultimate as well so I'm looking forward to trying out xcloud on it.
For me it looks good (getting the bronze one), has great features, great camera, slick to use and the S pen.
I hear they've toned down One UI a lot since I last used a Sammy about 5 years ago so that's welcome news too.

marvi0

I've ordered the Note 20 to replace my mate 20 pro. Comes with the game controller and a wireless charging stand. I had a note 4 and I liked the S pen so I'm looking forward to using it again.
I'm using the Samsung upgrade programme and paying monthly 0% interest. Once I sell the mate 20 pro, pay off the contract and go sim only I'll be paying the same as I am now. I'm perfectly happy with that.
Fully aware I'm paying early adopter premium but its a treat to myself as I've been working a lot since lockdown. I totally agree that it's bollocks we don't get the SD865+ here but, in normal use, I'll never notice the difference.
I pay for game pass ultimate as well so I'm looking forward to trying out xcloud on it.
For me it looks good (getting the bronze one), has great features, great camera, slick to use and the S pen.
I hear they've toned down One UI a lot since I last used a Sammy about 5 years ago so that's welcome news too.
You seem to have a great deal, once you sell off your mate 20, so it balances it out. Its just a bit or a wind up though, that we having to pay a somewhat premium for a somewhat second grade product, but at least you know full well what you getting...

GreyMutton

You seem to have a great deal, once you sell off your mate 20, so it balances it out. Its just a bit or a wind up though, that we having to pay a somewhat premium for a somewhat second grade product, but at least you know full well what you getting...
Yeah i got a great deal on the mate 20 pro contract, it worked out less than buying the phone outright at the time! Crazy.

It is annoying that they stick most of the planet with the exynos processors. I don't use my phones for anything especially demanding where it'd need the extra power of the 865 so it makes no difference to me at all.
YouTube, social media, Web browsing, clash of clans and drawing penises on pictures of friends (yes I'm a child) is about as strenuous as my usage gets.
I hope the fingerprint sensor is better than the mate 20 pro's. Well, it has to be cos its utter garbage on the mate. Might as well not have bothered with it.

Edit - also don't agree with splitting the note line. Notes were always about the latest tech etc. Splitting it with the ultra is bollocks too.

marvi0

Yeah i got a great deal on the mate 20 pro contract, it worked out less than buying the phone outright at the time! Crazy.

It is annoying that they stick most of the planet with the exynos processors. I don't use my phones for anything especially demanding where it'd need the extra power of the 865 so it makes no difference to me at all.
YouTube, social media, Web browsing, clash of clans and drawing penises on pictures of friends (yes I'm a child) is about as strenuous as my usage gets.
I hope the fingerprint sensor is better than the mate 20 pro's. Well, it has to be cos its utter garbage on the mate. Might as well not have bothered with it.
It's going to be interesting though, if it can hold up with Microsoft cloud gaming, as that is when the exynos struggles, as it throttles back under heavy load. If using for non gaming to be honest, there wouldn't be much of an issue.

GreyMutton

It's going to be interesting though, if it can hold up with Microsoft cloud gaming, as that is when the exynos struggles, as it throttles back under heavy load. If using for non gaming to be honest, there wouldn't be much of an issue.
Microsoft's servers would be doing the heavy lifting though so it shouldn't really be an issue. Unless I'm missing something?

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Not sure it could offer me more than I'm currently enjoying with the S20 Ultra tbh.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I know why Samsung chose to apply the design differences but the starting price for the "non Ultra" version is still incredibly high

Note 20 Ultra 5G: 256gb plus micro SD £1,179
Note 20 Ultra 5G: 512gb plus micro SD £1,279

Note 20 4G: 256gb no micro SD £849
Note 20 5G: 256gb no micro SD £949

**128gb version not listed on Samsung UK

Note 20 Ultra: glass
Note 20: reinforced polycarbonate (plastic)

Note 20 Ultra: 6.9in, 3088 x 1440 pixel (496ppi), 120Hz
Note 20: 6.7in, 2400 x 1080 pixels (393ppi), 60Hz

Note 20 Ultra: 108mp 50x digital zoom
Note 20: 64mp 30x digital zoom

Note 20 Ultra: 4,500 mah
Note 20: 4,300 mah

Source: Compare Galaxy Note Smartphone Range | Incl. Note 10 | Samsung UK

**I may have misread some things on the page so do not rely on this post for a purchasing decision

Last edited:

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Would love an Ultra but not a chance I'm spending my cash on a Exynos version after having my fingers burnt (literally :p ) by an Exynos S20+

Can't believe that yet again we get the poor relation when the price is so premium.

GreyMutton

Would love an Ultra but not a chance I'm spending my cash on a Exynos version after having my fingers burnt (literally :p ) by an Exynos S20+

Can't believe that yet again we get the poor relation when the price is so premium.
Apparently there's a new cooling system on it so hopefully they'll run a bit cooler.

marvi0

Hahaha 🤣 was it that bad. I had my s20 plus for 4 weeks and so glad I returned it,within the cooling of period lol. I know that others are not really bothered as they don't game on their phones,but just the thought that Samsung is definitely screwing us over, and there is a better processor out there and we get the inferior chip, is reason alone for me, not to buy!

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Apparently there's a new cooling system on it so hopefully they'll run a bit cooler.
Ah right - hopefully then - first phone I've ever had which flagged up warnings it was getting too hot. Fingers crossed they have that bit sorted then.

marvi0

Ah right - hopefully then - first phone I've ever had which flagged up warnings it was getting too hot. Fingers crossed they have that bit sorted then.
I really wonder if the cooling systems do work or it's just gimmicky?

GreyMutton

I really wonder if the cooling systems do work or it's just gimmicky?
No idea but you'd have to expect they've tested it so we can only hope.
I don't do anything really intensive on phones so I think it'll be fine. Only question is the xcloud gaming but the phone shouldn't be running hard there.

marvi0

No idea but you'd have to expect they've tested it so we can only hope.
I don't do anything really intensive on phones so I think it'll be fine. Only question is the xcloud gaming but the phone shouldn't be running hard there.
To be fair though, a good phone is cool without the need for any heat pipes. My oppo find x2 Pro, never gets warm!

mark6226

I'm part of the upgrade program. At present I'm on the note 10 plus and even though I've had the upgrade email I think I'm going to stay with what I've already got
I'll have to buy a new case and they cost around £50 for a good one. My 10 plus has a slight mark on the screen. I know its a skin over the screen that's easily replaced but I'm pretty certain samsung will try and screw some money out of me
My current phone is absolutely brilliant. Screen wise, Samsung have already gone past the human limit for seeing pixels. So they extra on screen pixels on the 20 ultra will be invisible.
I've never used the pen so I don't care about that.
I'm not sure I can be bothered to mess around sending my phone back and then have hassle with Samsung.
The note 20 ultra doesn't really offer me anything extra over what I've got.
I'm not sure I want an even bigger phone anyway.
A few years ago I would have ordered straight away.
But a bit older and indifferent these days

Slugsy01

I am getting the Note Ultra. My iphone X Pro has decided to overheat 3 times in last week and Apple are telling me it's my fault? I'm not quite sure as it is in perfect condition, no scratches, breaks etc!:facepalm:

The service and attitude was so poor from Apple, I've decided to get rid.

I have a works scheme with Samsung, so got £117 off the price and free earphones as well. Quite looking forward to a change!

GreyMutton

I am getting the Note Ultra. My iphone X Pro has decided to overheat 3 times in last week and Apple are telling me it's my fault? I'm not quite sure as it is in perfect condition, no scratches, breaks etc!:facepalm:

The service and attitude was so poor from Apple, I've decided to get rid.

I have a works scheme with Samsung, so got £117 off the price and free earphones as well. Quite looking forward to a change!
I just realised I never thought to check my work discount scheme! Dammit I need to do that now.

GreyMutton

Well that was a disaster. The employee discount system didn't have the option to use the upgrade programme.
Only options would have been take the money out of savings or put it on a credit card. Neither appealed so I've cancelled the order.
I'll just suffer the mate 20 pro for a while longer...

marvi0

I'm part of the upgrade program. At present I'm on the note 10 plus and even though I've had the upgrade email I think I'm going to stay with what I've already got
I'll have to buy a new case and they cost around £50 for a good one. My 10 plus has a slight mark on the screen. I know its a skin over the screen that's easily replaced but I'm pretty certain samsung will try and screw some money out of me
My current phone is absolutely brilliant. Screen wise, Samsung have already gone past the human limit for seeing pixels. So they extra on screen pixels on the 20 ultra will be invisible.
I've never used the pen so I don't care about that.
I'm not sure I can be bothered to mess around sending my phone back and then have hassle with Samsung.
The note 20 ultra doesn't really offer me anything extra over what I've got.
I'm not sure I want an even bigger phone anyway.
A few years ago I would have ordered straight away.
But a bit older and indifferent these days
Once you use 90 or 120 hz refresh, you won't go back to 60hz!

Slugsy01

I am annoyed that it won’t do Super Quad HD at 120hz, that’s my one thing that’s annoyed me about it