Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Z

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I came across this article on my flipboard on the S3, and wanted to get your thoughts on the new Note 2, which is likely to have a 5.5 inch screen and come with jelly bean as standard.

This Could Be The Samsung Galaxy Note II http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/17/this-could-be-the-samsung-galaxy-note-ii/

Sounds line a beast of a phone to me but is the screen size too big?

Jay

Its really verging on a tablet now. That screen is huge.

It looks almost like a phone from Trigger Happy TV lol. That is one huge screen for a daily phone. I presume many people will look at this as a tablet most likely.

It looks almost like a phone from Trigger Happy TV lol. That is one huge screen for a daily phone. I presume many people will look at this as a tablet most likely.

But in many ways, if the physical size of the phone is no different to the previous model, as is to be rumoured, then a bigger screen is a bonus, and should look no more or less ridiculous than the original Note. :)

Any ideas when then might get announced, before new iPhone?

Moviebuff said:
But in many ways, if the physical size of the phone is no different to the previous model, as is to be rumoured, then a bigger screen is a bonus, and should look no more or less ridiculous than the original Note. :)

I can't see it being any bigger than the original Note even with the bigger screen. It needs to have a Super Amoled + screen to be a significant upgrade. A quad core processor or even 2gb of ram won't be felt by the typical user but a super sweet screen will.

I can't see it being any bigger than the original Note even with the bigger screen. It needs to have a Super Amoled + screen to be a significant upgrade. A quad core processor or even 2gb of ram won't be felt by the typical user but a super sweet screen will.

Agreed - the more estabilished rumours tend to generally end up correct, so my reckoning is slightly larger display within the same sized "footprint" of the original Note.

Also, as said, a Quad Core, 2gb ram spec while nice, would offer little of use to myself personally, over what the extremely capable Note has offered up until now. They (Samsung) managed to set the bar high from the get-go.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Yeah the original Note is still a superb piece of kit.

Maybe Samsung will shock us and make the Note2 out of something classy like ceramic.

From what I've heard/read, there is going to be an announcement on the 29th so the wait isn't long. ICS was mentioned as the OS of choice with Jelly Bean being released for the S3.

For me I'll either get this or the iPhone 5, so far the note II is winning by a landslide, I'll have to wait to see both presentations.

Agree with folks here. Original Note is still a great phone.

Will wait to see what Note 2 brings and decide if the upgrade is worth it as my Note is still going strong, especially after the ICS upgrade.

Not sure I'll bother about the new iPhone. Owned them briefly from the 3GS onwards and got shot of them in less than a month.

Even if it did have the 4inch screen...... It's far too small now I've gotten used to the Note.

isnt the screen bigger by decreasing the bezel? hopefully this will be the way to increase the screen size

TROYBOY said:
isnt the screen bigger by decreasing the bezel? hopefully this will be the way to increase the screen size

If they could get closer to the edge of the existing Note, that would give them an easy 8 to 10mm of additional diagonal screen space.

If OLED is self illuminating that should be doable.

Will find out tomorrow :)

I've seen quite a few rumours punting a 1280x720 screen in a 16:9 aspect ratio for the note 2. This strikes me as maybe a little low on PPI count to a point where the density difference becomes noticeable when comparing with smaller handsets, particularly if it's uses pentile OLED. Why move from 16:10? Do apps not play nicely in that format?

Last edited:
SHATNERSTACTIC said:
I've seen quite a few rumours punting a 1280x720 screen in a 16:9 aspect ratio for the note 2. This strikes me as maybe a little low on PPI count to a point where the density difference becomes noticeable when comparing with smaller handsets, particularly if it's uses pentile OLED. Why move from 16:10? Do apps not play nicely in that format?

I've seen those rumours too. Think it was based off of some unknown benchmarks that cropped up.

Shame they can't get Retina-esque resolutions yet. Would be amazing if they could do 1600 by 1024 in a 5.5 inch OLED plus. Been playing on my bros ipad 3 and the screen is astounding.

I'm kinda itching to upgrade, but with my wife having a bun in the oven it would have to be a worthwhile improvement for me to sell my current Note for 250ish and then to shell out an extra 250ish on top for the Note 2.

250 quid could buy me a fair few nappies :p

Likewise, there's always something that needs buying... I'd be rather more excited about the reason for the nappies than what fixing the mess a leak in the roof will cost me though.:smashin: I'm convinced the missus can't tell any phone I've owned apart so will probably go 'under the radar' on this one!

Any idea what time the announcement is tomorrow?

Semi convinced we may not get the note II after the Samsung fine which is worrying as apples offering is shaping up to be a disappointment for me :/

I have seen pictures of the Note as a 10.1 inch Tablet boasting the quad core chipset and with Jelly Bean, support for 32/64 sdhc expansion.

I think its gonna be a beast. Might be the best Tab yet. :)

Jay Z said:
I have seen pictures of the Note as a 10.1 inch Tablet boasting the quad core chipset and with Jelly Bean, support for 32/64 sdhc expansion.

I think its gonna be a beast. Might be the best Tab yet. :)

If it has resolution of 1080p or higher I'm sold!

Semi convinced we may not get the note II after the Samsung fine which is worrying as apples offering is shaping up to be a disappointment for me :/

I think we might, the court case never mentioned the Note or the S3 AFAIK.

KhalJimbo said:
I think we might, the court case never mentioned the Note or the S3 AFAIK.

Furthermore, even a US jury wouldn't mistake an iphone for a Note right.......

Actually... Wouldn't surprise me :)

Have come across this

samsung-galaxy-note-2-specs-leak-0.jpg

Anyone know what time today's event is at? so we can finally see the note 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom