Samsung galaxy, brightness problem

depot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just bought a (second hand) Samsung galaxy A52s 5g phone, great phone but I have a strange issue with the screen brightness, if I use it for navigation in my car, the screen is too dim, it seems the adaptive brightness setting doesn’t put it to max, what I mean by that is the reviews say manual slider max is 400 nits, if you use adaptive brightness in sunlight it’s supposed to go to 800 nits, well mine doesn’t I can set it to manual max then turn on adaptive brightness and it doesn’t change the screen brightness at all, I’ve held my old Xiaomi phone next to the Samsung in sunlight and the Xiaomi is clearly much brighter,

I’ve checked all the Display settings and battery power saving settings that I can find and have done a reset of the settings, and it makes no difference, does anyone more experienced with Samsungs know something I have missed, thanks.

Hi, I’ve just bought a (second hand) Samsung galaxy A52s 5g phone, great phone but I have a strange issue with the screen brightness, if I use it for navigation in my car, the screen is too dim, it seems the adaptive brightness setting doesn’t put it to max, what I mean by that is the reviews say manual slider max is 400 nits, if you use adaptive brightness in sunlight it’s supposed to go to 800 nits, well mine doesn’t I can set it to manual max then turn on adaptive brightness and it doesn’t change the screen brightness at all, I’ve held my old Xiaomi phone next to the Samsung in sunlight and the Xiaomi is clearly much brighter,

I’ve checked all the Display settings and battery power saving settings that I can find and have done a reset of the settings, and it makes no difference, does anyone more experienced with Samsungs know something I have missed, thanks.
I have the same phone that I bought new to replace an S9 that was failing to hold a charge more then a few hours. Whilst the A52s holds its own against the S9 in most things the screen brightness is one area where it doesn't look as bright or clear. I also notice the screen dims for no apparent reason whilst I am using it and then goes brighter a few seconds later.
I can't offer any explanations but I would be interested to hear from anyone else.

@RicksonGracie1972 yeah I agree it’s a great phone, but the brightness makes it unusable in sunlight or for a sat nav, hope someone knows of a fix.

@depot As for now the fix i found is to quickly disable and enable adaptive brightness setting while you are under direct sunlight. It will force it to set the brightness to maximum possible. Lets just hope Samsung will fix that.

Last edited:
@depot As for now the fix i found is to quickly disable and enable adaptive brightness setting while you are under direct sunlight. It will force it to set the brightness to maximum possible. Lets just hope Samsung will fix that.

Thanks for that it does help, I can see the brightness rise a bit, overall though a great phone with a disappointing screen brightness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom