Samsung G800 just died.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dokko, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dokko

Dokko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    MY Samsung G800 has just died, which is a shame since the phone was well suited to me. I've had the G800 since Jan08 on a 17month (yeah silly i know) contract, before that 12months with a D900, 12 months with a D600, 12 months with a D500 all from O2 which i've been pretty happy with.

So big Samsung fan, and kind of liked being with O2.

Thing is it's broken, phone all lit up, blank screen, rumbles now and then, and it was sudden, fine one minute, now gone to meet the calculators in the sky. With it being like this i've decided not claim on my insurance (which is free on a LLoyds student account) because they'll want it for 30 days while they attempt to fix it and from others experience it never comes back a-ok.

So i'm going to ring O2 tomorrow and tell them its broken, i have no insurance and i want a new 18month contract with a new phone of some type (get to that in a mo) or i'm just going to cancel the direct debits.

Can i do that? I know i've got 3/4 months left, but the last time i signed a contract with them was over 5 years ago, so really it was a verbal agreement, worth nothing right?

I know people used to play this trick all the time, but i thought i'd wait to do it when i need too, and i need it now imo.

If i can do that (if not im going to anyway and they'll have to take me to court for the £100) then i need a new phone.

I've been with both Samsung and O2 for a very long time, i'm open to suggestions.

Tariff wise, 300mins, 500txts or pref unlimited. No insurance, £30pm, max 18month contract....

...top of the line phone.

Thanks for reading, all thoughts welcome.

2. amflemi

amflemi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm sure that if you are in the final few months of a contract most providers will let you upgrade, providing, of course, that you sign a new contract! I think O2 let you upgrade if you are in the last 3 months but a quick call to customer service should answer that for you.

3. SaeedB

SaeedB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    When upgrading and they agree ask them for a discount on the line rental as well - 2 months ago they gave me the max of 40% disc, 18 mth contract at £18 pm (usually £30pm) and a sony ericsson c902 (400mins, 1000txts and unlmited o2 to o2 calls). Oh yes and the James Bond Quantom Solace PS3 game as well :D

Haggle as much as you can and dont go to the upgrade dept, go direct to retentions and say you are going to cancel ;)

Hope this helps

4. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    They wont take you to court, they'll post the non-payment as a default, kill your credit scoring and pass the debt onto a third party debt recovery agency.

What gives you the right to think that you can just decide to not pay a contract you've agreed to ???

The phone should still be under warranty so O2 should offer a repair service for you.