1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Freeview box £79.00 from Tesco

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by FlimsyFeet, Oct 19, 2003.

1. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Currently have ntl digital cable, but will be moving house soon to a non-cabled area.

Saw this box for sale at Tesco:
    http://www.tesco.com/electrical/Browse.asp?type=Item&typeid=7993319

I can't really find a lot of info about it on the 'net. From the info here:
    http://www.idtv.co.uk/samsungspex.htm
    it doesn't seem to have separate phono jacks for audio output to get pro-logic sound from my receiver - not a major problem but a bit of hassle with the extra cables required.

It has RGB from the 1st SCART which is essential; it doesn't mention anything about 16:9 compatibility but I assume that's pretty standard to all boxes.

Also, are there any boxes that give an S-video output on the second SCART? My old VCR is on the way out, and I might upgrade to a new S-VHS deck in the future.

Any recommendation for Freeview boxes gratefully accepted... :)

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err.. if he wants the net yea but not for a good freeview box, goodmans in tesco is much cheaper and gets software updates.

4. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "if he wants the net yea but not for a good freeview box"

Contravercial. I know the Netgem has been discussed to death on hear but its was'nt so long ago that many forum members were saying it has the fastest menu's , best picture quaity and important for me RGB loopthrough. What more do you want?

Have other players moved ahead?

BTW I still have'nt bought one yet and my discision is getting any easier :)

5. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Fastest menus", "best picture",
    *no a good aerial gives you a good pic.
    *most boxes have similar speeds all faster than OnDigital boxes, the Goodmans is supose to be fast.

6. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    *no a good aerial gives you a good pic

agreed but tell that to a Pace twin owner. There have been many threads on the relative pic performance of different box's and a lot, including the netgem, that have improved with software updates

7. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had no help on this forum about boxes, i have a Grundig as you can see below my post, im selling it for £85 and some person is coming to visit it, i then plan to buy another box my options are:

1. Buy the same Grundig GDT1500T and keep the extra cash for something else.

2. Buy a cheap box for around 50 pounds.

3. Spend my £85 on an expensive box.

4. Go to: http://www.dixons.co.uk and buy 2 of the Packard Bell TCX170 Freeview Digital Receiver(£49 EACH)and sell one for a little extra like i did with my Grundig. Stuck with a Packard Bell in the main bedroom with around 50 pounds profit from the sale of my other Pack. Bell box.

5. Pay a little extra for a box everyone says is good, the new Pace or a Goodmans box.

Can anyone help there, some decent help. Thankyou :)