Samsung FE 4G or Pixel 5?

pembs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - any ideas which is best, the Samsung S20 FE 4G or Pixel 5 - both at £599 in UK

A LOT of the reviews online (esp from USA) suggest the S20 FE is better - but they are typically looking at the 5G version with the snapdragon 865 chip, not the Exynos 990 of the 4G model...so not comparing like for like

How does the Pixels Snapdragon 765G compare to the Exynos 990 ?

PS
ive had Samsungs for a while (S8, S9, and S10) but although i like them, i dont like all the glass and curved screen etc as im somewhat "agricultural" im my phone usage and they getting dropped / bashed around a lot. Does the Pixel look any more robust?

I went for the S20 FE 5G recently due to the Snapdragon 865 as I believe the Exynos 990 gets a bit hot and is a somewhat of battery hog. 5G was of no interest to me as service is very limited where I live, as such I've disabled it in settings. The FE also has a flat screen and plastic back (still feels "premium" though), which is another reason I went for it over the other S20 models. My last Google phone was a Nexus 5 so can't comment on the Pixel I'm afraid.... but if you can stomach the extra £££ for the 5G over the 4G FE I'd say it's a great phone, probably one of the best I've used in recent years. Not sure if that's of any help but there you go :)

If I had tried the s20 fe in hand before I bought it I wouldn't have got it.
Very heavy compared to my previous mobile,the s10e.

I vote Pixel 4a or Pixel 5 or Sony Xperia 5 II based on paper. I am not a YouTube reviewer with access to everything

Or not the Samsung in short simply because Samsung will only learn to stop messing non S. Korea and non USA customers about when ppl stop giving them money. I write that as someone still using the Samsung Note 4 in this day and age

I vote Pixel 4a or Pixel 5 or Sony Xperia 5 II based on paper. I am not a YouTube reviewer with access to everything

Or not the Samsung in short simply because Samsung will only learn to stop messing non S. Korea and non USA customers about when ppl stop giving them money. I write that as someone still using the Samsung Note 4 in this day and age
Based on paper, the S20 FE would be the obvious choice. And because Samsung give other regions a lesser Exynos chip, it's no reason to not buy a product that could be the most suitable for someone.

All signs are pointing towards next year's Exynos being quite the opposite and could well be much better than the SD 875. But I doubt we'll hear people complaining about that and demanding people boycott Samsung until they equip all devices with an Exynos chip in the way people have been complaining this year.

I'd go with the Pixel 5, and I have and it's in my hand now. It really is a thing of beauty. It seems to perform just as well, if not everso slightly snappier than my previous Pixel 4 XL did too. So no worries on that front. I will admit that I am a Pixel fanboy though, having had a Google phone since the Nexus 4.
I don't personally like Samsung phones due to the way they dick around with the UI and install a whole heap of bloatware I'd never use.

With regards to robustness, that's what cases and screen protectors are for. I don't know why but, I repeatedly dropped my Pixel 4 XL and each time either the case or screen protector saved it. I went through 3 glass screen protectors in the 11 months I had it but at no time did the phone sustain damage.
I'll add that I don't like bulky cases either. I like to see the phone itself and so buy very slim and clear cases for my phones. They seem to provide all the protection I need.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom