Samsung F86 Settings Thread

To be honest the picture looked amazing straight out of the box, the only thing I tinkered with was the 100hz Motion Plus mode. On a few HD DVDs (through the 360 player using component) it seemed to skip the odd frame here and there on more fast paced scenes (The Matrix was one of these, during the chase through the apartment buildings) so I turned it off completely.

I wouldn't mind testing out some some of the other members setups though, especially if anyone is using the VGA lead with their 360s and has a decent setup.

Come on someone has to be first ....

There must be an owner out there who's tweaked the settings on this set and is happy with the result?

well heres the settings that im using

copied and pasted straight across from the HDTV Test of the M86
with a few suggestions from the F86 review thrown in (namely not bothering with wide colour space)

Hoping to Improve on these

Mode: Movie
Contrast : 90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 30
Colour Tone: Warm 2
Backlight 1
Size: Just Scan
Digitanl NR: Off
Gamma +1
Colour Space Normal

Hope you don't mind me posting these JW.

For my sky tv picture through scart i'm using the following settings which recommended by mightymaccers for the M87. Find them pretty good, but will no doubt change them when someone who know's what they are talking about posts some for the F86

Picture
Movie Mode
Contrast 95
Brightness 44
Sharpness 26
Color 52 (Normal)
Tint G55
Backlight 4
HDMI Black Low

Detailed Settings
Black Correction Low
Color Wide
Gamma 0
Dynamic Contrast Low

White Balance
RO 15
GO 14
BO 13
RG 10
GG 18
BG 12

vic8 (and MrLOL above) - what source are your settings for please?

I currently have the following settings:

Mode Movie
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 30
Color 50
Tint G50
Backlight 7
Colour Tone Normal

Detailed Settings:

Black Adjust Low
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma 0
Dynamic Contrast Low
Edge Enchancement On (not that it seems to do much!)
Colour Space Wide
xvYCC On

I havent changed White balance or My colour control, as the colour reproduction seems fine.

I chose these myself.

I believe Darrenthebear said he prefers the PQ with xvYCC switched to off, depends what you prefer really.

I chose these myself.

I think he meant, what feed are you watching and via what input, e.g. Sky over scart. :)

It's important to state this as the settings are kept separately for each input and different sources will need different settings to look their very best.

I chose these myself.

I believe Darrenthebear said he prefers the PQ with xvYCC switched to off, depends what you prefer really.

That's right, the only changes I made were changing the Black Adjust to medium and leaving xvYCC off.

I'm using those settings with HDMI1 > PS3, HDMI2 > Upscaling DVD Player and PC/VGA > Xbox 360.

I think he meant, what feed are you watching and via what input, e.g. Sky over scart. :)

It's important to state this as the settings are kept separately for each input and different sources will need different settings to look their very best.

Ooops...I've been using this for SD Sky, though some may prefer the 'Standard' picture mode (which is brighter) with DNLE 'on', as it is automatically switched 'off' on movie mode.

Need to double-check my PS3 Blu-ray settings, but I wouldnt envisage myself changing them that much as the PQ is awesome anyway.

ive used my settings for all inputs

just obviously not selecting Just Scan for Sky

First thing I did was turn the backlight waaaay down (I think to 0 or 1).

I then set Just Scan and connected the TV to my laptop via a DVI-HDMI converter, and ran a brightness/contrast calibration program intended for HDTVs (it's an OS X program I don't remember the website, but I'll find a link and post it later!).

My settings have ended up very similar to the ones jwhalley posted for the M86/M87, so hopefully less probability of us both being wrong!

Just thought id post mine again, as ive not posted my full ones. And only doing what i said above produces a horrible image. Heres the settings in full

Freeview / Sky SD / Standard Def
======================================

Picture Settings

Mode Movie
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Sharpness 30
Colour 51
Tint 50
Colour Tone Warm 2
Backlight 5
Size 16:9
Digital NR Off

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1
Edge Enhancement off
Colour Space Wide

White Balance

R Offset 17
G Offset 15
B Offset 11
R Gain 4
G Gain 14
B Gain 30

PS3 / Blu Ray / Upscaled DVD
==============================

As Above but

Size Just Scan
xvYCC On
HDMI Black Level Low

Just thought id post mine again, as ive not posted my full ones. And only doing what i said above produces a horrible image. Heres the settings in full

Freeview / Sky SD / Standard Def
======================================

Picture Settings

Mode Movie
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Sharpness 30
Colour 51
Tint 50
Colour Tone Warm 2
Backlight 5
Size 16:9
Digital NR Off

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1
Edge Enhancement off
Colour Space Wide

White Balance

R Offset 17
G Offset 15
B Offset 11
R Gain 4
G Gain 14
B Gain 30

PS3 / Blu Ray / Upscaled DVD
==============================

As Above but

Size Just Scan
xvYCC On
HDMI Black Level Low

I tried these last night and they're not bad at all. Did you base this on the M87 suggested settings?

at the risk of sounding like a complete muppet .... how do you store settings once you've changed them??!!?? my tv seems to be dropping the settings I've made and reverting to out of the box bright dynamic mode standard settings!? ... I've not actually seen this occur, but I've walked into the room and noticed the change.

Does it not just automatically store whatever you set it to??

at the risk of sounding like a complete muppet .... how do you store settings once you've changed them??!!?? my tv seems to be dropping the settings I've made and reverting to out of the box bright dynamic mode standard settings!? ... I've not actually seen this occur, but I've walked into the room and noticed the change.

It is supposed to save any changes made automatically for each input.

Perhaps you are mistakenly in "Shop" mode, which auto resets the settings every so often to (supposedly) optimize it for a brightly lit retail environment.

This is a quote from page 9 of the manual,

"We recommend setting the TV to Home mode for the best picture in your home environment.

Shop mode is only intended for use in retail environments.

If the unit is accidentally set to Shop mode and you want to return to Dynamic (Home) mode, press the Volume button and then hold down the MENU button for five seconds on the side panel of the TV."

I tried these last night and they're not bad at all. Did you base this on the M87 suggested settings?

copied and pasted from the ones HDTVtest posted in may for the M86

they seem to provide decent colours so im sticking with these for now

are you checking the same input ?

you have to set all the settings for each input. I though this too, untill i realised id set the settings for freeview, but needed to set them again for sky through EXT1 (RGB scart)

Does anyone know if the F96 is 100Hz and whether it can handle 24fps signals?

F86 or F96 ?

the F86 is the 40"/46" sets being discussed in this thread that have 100hz and do 24p

the F96 is the 50"/72" sets with LED backlighting that arent out yet. These do support 24p but dont do 100hz.

Does anyone know if the F96 is 100Hz and whether it can handle 24fps signals?
can we keep this thread on topic there are enough threads for the various tv's/makes..etc that there should not be the need to cross post threads.

Curly

Quick question from someone new to this game :lease:... about to buy one of these 40" Samsung F86 TV's for my study. In that room I sit just over 2 metres from the TV. I will be watching TV from my Virgin Media HD box set to 1080, Blu Ray DVD through the PS3 and DVD upscaled through the (about to order) Samsung HT-TX35R. Will the TV be too big watching from this distance? Have a 30" Philips LCD at present (pixel plus and all that but about 4 years old now) and that is fine.

Slightly off topic I know - but related as you guys changing settings should have a good feel for the picture of the TV from DVD/Freeview etc - and should be able to comment.

Any help appreciated - and as soon as (if depending on your advice) I buy - I will be back here for those settings. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom