Samsung F5500 (PS51F5500) 3D Plasma TV Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 25th July 2013. As a TV for daytime watchers, it's not well suited; it's one for the discerning night time crew, who like a touch of class at a price that's right.
Read the full review...

Our Year

Distinguished Member
glad you mentioned avg sound quality I feel the same on the 60 but was shot down when I mentioned it :)

and I defo agree about the glasses they are even worse if you are a spec wearer
I purchased a different pair and they are so much better.

Last edited:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
When are you going to review the 60 inch model? I want to know if it's the best value 60 inch plasma available.

We will ask for a sample but it's dependent on whether Samsung feel it necessary to have both a 51 and 60-inch in circulation. Obviously there's a chance of better native black levels so let's hope they do.

davidcrofter

Ah nice to see the brightness pops or irritable ABL bowel syndrome getting picked up in reviews.

So near yet so far from Samsung once again and I am not sure how much extra they could have charged had they added last year's filter and simply called this a F6500 ... obviously done on purpose to direct owners towards their high end F8500 plasma methinks.

PerfectCell87

Standard Member
Nice review Mark .. Far better than the one on CNET ... CNET gave FAIL for 1080p playback and called it as Non Movie panel ... Thats wt made me surprise ... Any thoughts on hw s the 1080p playback ??

StreetBloke

I know they won't be exact for all TVs but is there any chance of posting some calibrated settings for something to work from? Would be muchly appreciated!

Stupot43

We will ask for a sample but it's dependent on whether Samsung feel it necessary to have both a 51 and 60-inch in circulation. Obviously there's a chance of better native black levels so let's hope they do.

Samsung should provide you with a sample as the 60" is a different type of panel to the 51" i.e. its a pentile screen and a lot of people will be interested in this panel because of the price/size ratio.

All of us 60" owners are eagerly awaiting a professional review.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Mark out of this and the LG 50PH660V which would say is best?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Samsung should provide you with a sample

All of us 60" owners are eagerly awaiting a professional review.

We have asked Samsung for a review sample. It will depend on what they have available and getting the 51" was a bit of a waiting game, so I can't promise we will cover the 60".

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Great review, as usual.

I'm accessing this from my phone on a beach in West Wales, which is far from ideal, but...

Just searched what I believe to be the 60" version of this (same number but with 60 in place of 51, right?) and it's less than a grand at Amazon.

Can this be correct? A pretty decent full HD 60" plasma for three figures?

Is George Formby number 1 in the charts and Pat Butcher the new Prime Minister? The world appears to have gone mad!

Steve W

Stupot43

We have asked Samsung for a review sample. It will depend on what they have available and getting the 51" was a bit of a waiting game, so I can't promise we will cover the 60".

Thanks Phil.
If Samsung doesn't offer you one, you can come and test mine. :laugh:

Always-hungry

Now 650 on amazon, seems far too cheap considering the size, not sure if we should take the plunge and replace our 7 year old sony w series lcd ??

rchads89

Banned
Has this screen just come out because no one really has the 51inch tv near me. Only pc world. Richer sounds don't have it nor do john lewis :( don't want to buy from pc world really to be honest....

joff81

I really like this tv but it does have an issue and I'm surprised the reviewer didn't pick it up and that is DSE !!!

I'm now on my 4th tv and I still have some DSE, sure its only mild but its there and can be really annoying when using my Xbox/ps3 and when watching sports.

After going through 4 its looking like samsung don't seem to check for DSE and are not bothered if the screens have it or not.

rchads89

Banned
Just about every set has dse or banding mate just got to live with it unfortunately. I bet even the new panasonic tvs still have line bleed?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Just about every set has dse or banding mate just got to live with it unfortunately. I bet even the new panasonic tvs still have line bleed?

Yep and every set has some degree of line bleed as far as I'm aware.

joff81

I find it hard to believe that in 2013 tv manufacturers can't produce a tv with clear picture and no DSE or banding !!!

Even the sharp LCD this samsung replaced didn't have DSE or banding and was manufactured over 6 years ago so why should it be accepted as the norm in2013.

What's even worse is the fact that everyone just seems to accept it and nobody is willing to push as to why it bappens and how to fix it, Manufacturers, deny it exists, customers accept it without question and reviewers even accept it as tolerable.
It just seems stupid that something affects picture quality is just brushed aside as normal.

Last edited:

dorian147

I agree with what you say.I have the 60" version and i'm on my 2nd one.This one also suffers from DSE and has become more prominant to see since the start of the football season.I have a 5yr old 50" panny as well and no DSE or banding on that,and this tv replaced a 3yr old LG which also didn't have any issues.I'm not sure whether to try another one or look for something else as nobody else is complaining about it on the 60" thread.

Always-hungry

This DSe talk is not helping guys, back to the drawing board it seems and like I said too cheap to be true

dorian147

This DSe talk is not helping guys, back to the drawing board it seems and like I said too cheap to be true

As I said other people are happy with their sets and apart from when watching sport, in particular football, mine is fine,but I'm using this tv to watch mostly football.Other members of the family can also notice it.I may have just been unlucky twice and may well give another set one more try.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon