Samsung F series, 360, 1080p over component

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by sukhy5, Dec 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. sukhy5

sukhy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I do apologise in advance as I have already asked this question on the main F series thread, but I don't want that thread to be dominated by 360 talk, especailly with the overscan firmware issue being the most important topic.

But can all owners of the F series model who also have a 360 tell me how good is their picture when running a 1080p signal through component? When I have tried mine, the text looks distorted and funny. When I use a VGA cable the picture is great albeit a little soft.

I have heard rumours that some of the older 360's (especially launch ones) have trouble outputting a 1080p signal over component. Is this true?

The one thing that I want to rule out is whether my tv is faulty or not. The picture looks lovely at 1080i over component, but I want to try it at 1080p over component.

Please respond and Happy New Year to you all!

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Are you connected to XBox live? There is apparently an update that makes 1080p work.

3. sukhy5

sukhy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yep been a Xbox LIVE customer for 3 years, and is always connected to LIVE. Got the update when it was released in November. From what I know it was to fix the problems with the VGA connection. My VGA connection is fine with 1080p as I have tried it with my HD-DVD drive. King Kong looks great!

The problem is the 1080p connection over component.

4. scottrichardson

scottrichardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    1080p looks great here on my 40 incher running 1080p. Obviously it's got a little overscan, which does cause some very subtle pixel distortion, which is usually most noticable on text.... but its really minor, and I only notice it because I KNOW there is overscan. My 1080p looks as crisp as 1080i, but even better. Not sure why yours isn't so.

Scottie

5. scottrichardson

scottrichardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    my post in main f series thread:

guys, you're mentioning the fuzzy letters and text via 1080p component.... could this not just be the results of overscan?

on big full screen images and artworks, it's fine... such as gameplay or movies... but for detailed text... fine lines... this is where the non 1:1 mapping issue comes into play and distorts your pixels... text is sometimes only a few pixels thick, and any distortion is bad.. and since the overscan on this set with component is some wierd percentage, you can bet your house that the fuzzy text is overscan related.

switching to VGA will fix the overscan issue.

BUT one thing to remember

As far as I know, the dashboard artwork and user interface has been designed at 1280 x 720 pixels. And most games have also been designed with that resolution in mind I beleive.

So any pixel artwork, graphical user interfaces, text..... basically anything that isn't being rendered in real time using the 3D processing of the xbox, will probably be designed in 1280 x 720 pixels.

So if you are running 1080p from your xbox...... it has to rescale all the artwork from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080.... then add in the overscan, and you have two bits of hardware resampling all the pixels...

New games, as far as I know, will be designed with 1080p in mind, so all menu screens and text etc should be sharper, higher resolution graphics.

Cheers

Scottie

6. sukhy5

sukhy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for both your replies Scott. How old is your console mate? Is it a launch console?

7. sukhy5

sukhy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Just swapped my old console with a new one yesterday (date of production is 30/09/2006) and I am still not getting a razor sharp picture on the 360 Dashboard. I am awaiting a callback from Samsung to discuss this.