Samsung ES6300 - PC input label, dimming, lip sync questions

scurra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just got a new 55ES6300 last weekend and am playing around with it. It replaced my 5 year old 40M86 from Samsung and I have to say that I am kind of pleased with it. Although I have some specific questions you might be able to answer:

1) PC input label
I read the review here (Samsung UE40ES6300/ UE46ES6300 (ES6300) 3D LED TV Review) which states that the TV allows full 4:4:4 reproduction when I set the HDMI input label to PC and supply a 60Hz signal. I suppose 4:4:4 means the color space/pixel format of the input signal, which in my case is a HTPC.

I can select Full RGB (0-255) in the graphics driver and select HDMI Black Level to "Normal" in the settings which results in being able to see blacks below 16 clearly. So it seems this is correct.

However, when supplying the TV with a 24Hz input signal (over the same PC-labeled HDMI port, HDMI2 in my case) I also am able to select the Full RGB setting in my graphics driver with and the test pattern is visible the same way as before.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows what happens when I set a 60Hz signal to the TV on a PC labeled input. As something clearly happens since most picture changing options are gone (even the movie mode). Input lag also seems to be minimized in this mode but it is not the same as gaming mode which still allows for more settings to be selected. Any insight?

--

2) Dimming

Yesterday I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and played with the settings a bit. I played it with my HTPC and noticed a rather huge lag (about 150-200ms) which made the audio go out of sync.

Another thing I noticed was the clouding which became somewhat apparent in dark and rather uniform scenes with slight motion (using these settings at the time, I think: Samsung ES6100 Calibrations and Picture Settings, UN46ES6100, UN55ES6100, UN60ES6500, UN40ES6100). I tried to use the "Standard" mode instead of the Movie mode and played around with some settings again until I liked the picture and were still able to see the below 16 blacks (nothing professional, though).

Watching a bit I noticed that the clouding problem was nearly invisible with the Standard mode but a few scenes later I noticed that the TV switches brightness automatically depending on the darkness of the scene. I'm pretty sure that the backlighting comes up and down. This can be very easily seen when watching the end credits with a black background and in- and out-fading credits.

I brought up the settings menu while the movie was playing in the back and noticed very easily that the settings menu got much brighter/darker depending on the font fading in (being visible) or not. I assume this about what "Micro Dimming" is about and it indeed kind of nice as it conveys stronger contrast *but* it also makes dark scenes darker which means that a lot of detail which I can see when switching to Movie mode again, just gets lost in the "black crush".

Again, I observed (with source being HDMI2, Standard mode, backlight about 10, all other "image enhancements" deactivated) a dimming of the picture with regard the current pictures brightness. Can anyone confirm this?

Personally I think this is a software bug which accidentally enabled some dimming feature which is not actually available on the ES6300 and thus can not be disabled. I also noted that this does not happen when I supply a 60Hz input with the Standard setting and that it does happen as well with 24Hz input in "gaming mode".

--

3) Lip Sync and ARC

As you might have read above, I noticed a huge lag in the image processing. Currently my setup is:

HTPC <-> Onkyo 608 AVR <-> TV (HDMI2, ARC)

The video processing in the AVR is completely disabled and I have enabled lip sync and ARC in the AVR. However I don't fully understand what lip sync does or better how it works.

My TV plays e.g. a bitstream DTS signal to the AVR along with the picture the AVR then passes the picture (and the sound?!) to the TV but at the same time seems to play the sound already while the TV is processing the frames which results in a lag (out of sync). I added a delay to the sound manually in my software which kind of solved the problem but shouldn't lip sync do this automatically?

Thank you for reading and contributing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom