Samsung E8000 (PS64E8000) Flagship 3D Plasma TV Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 10th December 2012. In fact, regardless of whether you're watching 2D or 3D content, the Samsung PS64E8000 is sure to please, with an absolutely wonderful image. Once you include the incredible features, the attractive design and competitive price, the 64E8000 becomes very difficult to resist - a definite Best Buy!
Read the full review...

Chauvinnais

Thanks Steve for this review. You would correctly guess that it holds extra interest to me. Especially the point that you picked up on that this model correctly detected 2:2 cadence which in turn shows that the Company has a willingness to still improve the product year on year without necessarily resorting to throwing the price point to the dogs to maintain or snatch sales.

May I take this opportunity to wish you, Phil and Mark, and indeed all the team at AVF, a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Hi Steve great review, One thing did you notice if this years models had the same bug as last years did with the nr not being turned of and the only way to get around this was with game mode.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Hi Steve great review, One thing did you notice if this years models had the same bug as last years did with the nr not being turned of and the only way to get around this was with game mode.

Yes Scott, I mention the fact that the NR can't be completely turned off in the review but it really is minor and I suspect 99% of people wouldn't even notice. As you say, using Game mode does bypass the NR completely, although then you are only limited to the two point white balance control.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Especially the point that you picked up on that this model correctly detected 2:2 cadence which in turn shows that the Company has a willingness to still improve the product year on year without necessarily resorting to throwing the price point to the dogs to maintain or snatch sales.

Samsung's 2:2 cadence detection has become rather erratic over the last two years, for example this year's flagship LCD TV the ES8000 failed the test but this year's flagship plasma the E8000 passed - very strange.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Yes Scott, I mention the fact that the NR can't be completely turned off in the review but it really is minor and I suspect 99% of people wouldn't even notice. As you say, using Game mode does bypass the NR completely, although then you are only limited to the two point white balance control.
sorry must of missed it:facepalm:

thanks, i know what you mean, but some like it off like me as it does remove detail.

tvstar

Standard Member
The Panasonic VT50 Plasma had some issues with flickering on big and bright, specially white areas. I could hear a few times, that the Samsung e8000 is doing a better job. Is that true? It is important for me, because i like to watch TV on daytime with bright images.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic VT50 Plasma had some issues with flickering on big and bright, specially white areas. I could hear a few times, that the Samsung e8000 is doing a better job. Is that true? It is important for me, because i like to watch TV on daytime with bright images.

I wasn't aware of any flicker with the 64E8000 during bright scenes but I should stress that susceptibility to flicker very much depends on the individual.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Great review Steve:smashin: hmmm as I need to wait longer for a new set I was thinking of waiting for a year and getting a 2013 Panasonic , or indeed Samsung.
This at a reduced clearance price would be very tempting though.
Much difference between this and the 60" E6500? guess I shouldn't be lazy and compare myself.

At the price level you put, this is more a competitor for the ST50(I know its top end but the VT is a lot more). How do the two compare in your view?.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Given the choice between the ST50 and E8000, I'd probably go for the Samsung because it just has everything at that price - picture, features etc. (although I do hate the quad foot).

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Given the choice between the ST50 and E8000, I'd probably go for the Samsung because it just has everything at that price - picture, features etc. (although I do hate the quad foot).

Cheers Steve.

So has the E8000 got much over the E6500? PQ wise.

tomhd

Steve,
Tough question if you don't mind:)

55VT50 or 64E8000?
Which one would you go for?
Normal viewing, 50Hz HDTV and Bluray.

65 VT is out of my budget, 55" max.

P.S Will I notice this undefeatable noise reduction if I am aware about this now?
Issue or not really?

Cheers,

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I think I'd go for the 64E8000 because it's a great performer and you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to the larger screen size. Unless you went looking for it with test material, I doubt you'd even notice the NR to be honest.

Thanks for great review.

Slightly confused with regards the 3D glasses which to me look identical to the ones shipped with the ES8000. If so why "3D glasses comfort/performance" is marked down on the E8000? Is it because side light results in more flicker with plasma panel?

How would you rate overall 3D experience on the Sammy E8000 vs ES8000 vs Pana ET5?

Finally do we have any idea what the Panny ST65 ST50 input lag is with new measuring device?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
They are the same glasses but after spending longer with them I felt the limitations of their design outweigh their light weight nature and marked them down accordingly.

I didn't review the ET5 but I preferred the 3D on the E8000 compared to the ES8000, although that might just be because I prefer plasmas.

In his review, Mark measured the P65ST50 at 48ms using the input lag tester.

D

Deleted member 380720

No brightness pops? My 64D8000 drives me up the wall with the fluctuating brightness, I really regret buying it.

Bought one 2 days ago and what a fantastic piece of kit it is! On the issue of gaming lag I can only say it even less than my TH 37 PX70 which I always though was next best to a CRT. I recenly returned a 55 ET5 as the -reportedly very low- lag was intolerable in COD and FIFA.

Many thanks again Steve:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon