Samsung E6500 (PS60E6500) 3D Plasma TV Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 22nd August 2012. Once again Samsung’s 6 series plasma offers a serious amount of screen, with a great deal of quality at a price that’s almost shockingly low. As a result, it’s an absolute shoe-in for an AVForums Highly Recommended award.
Read the full review...

Thanks Mark for your review.

I'm bit confused by your comment when you say this model has about the half of black level of E9k. All in all, would you say this set has better or worse black and contrast level than E9k or about the same?

Good review Any issues with screen uniformity? Measured black level, and how bright is it compared to the E8000 and Panasonic's?

Thanks Mark for your review.

I'm bit confused by your comment when you say this model has about the half of black level of E9k. All in all, would you say this set has better or worse black and contrast level than E9k or about the same?

Yes it's black level was twice as good as the 51E8000 but, as I said in the review, that's not unusual for smaller screen sizes with Samsung plasma. So, based on the two review samples, the 60E6500 had better contrast performance than the 51E8000. I'd suspect the 64E8000 would be the same or better than the 60E6500.

Hope that makes sense.

Good review Any issues with screen uniformity? Measured black level, and how bright is it compared to the E8000 and Panasonic's?

No issues with screen uniformity that I saw.

0.028 full screen and ~0.03 ANSI, on average.

Slightly dimmer than the 51E800. ANSI peak white output - approximately the same as the Panasonic's. Cross reference with Steve's 65VT review to see:)

Hi Mark,

Sorry if I missed it but what is the input lag on this set? Better than VT50?

How bright is Samsung's Cinema mode compared to the VT THX and Pro Modes?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Jason

Lag is better than a VT50 at around 38ms. There's not very much in it for brightness in real world situations but peak light output is higher.

HTH

Mark

so why this is not "reference" in value for money?
it surely looks like it deserves that grade to me

and thanks for the review I was waiting since a long time...

so why this is not "reference" in value for money?
it surely looks like it deserves that grade to me

and thanks for the review I was waiting since a long time...

I'm not sure that I've ever awarded a Reference for VFM but then I'm from Yorkshire.

I think excellent is fair but I've no problems with you disagreeing:)

Hi Mark,

I have to ask this. A lot of people are frustrated by buzzing from their Samsung plasma TVs, myself included. I hear it quite clearly on my last year's D6500 in 3D mode/white content, and sadly, no single review of that model mentioned this. As I see on the forums, the situation with E5600 is the same.

Would you please mind to highlight this aspect in your upcoming reviews?

Thanks.

Hi Mark,

I have to ask this. A lot of people are frustrated by buzzing from their Samsung plasma TVs, myself included. I hear it quite clearly on my last year's D6500 in 3D mode/white content, and sadly, no single review of that model mentioned this. As I see on the forums, the situation with E5600 is the same.

Would you please mind to highlight this aspect in your upcoming reviews?

Thanks.

Sure, good idea.

For what it's worth, there was only audible buzz on bright scenes with the volume turned right down. The usual plasma situation and nothing intrusive.

I'm not sure that I've ever awarded a Reference for VFM but then I'm from Yorkshire.

I think excellent is fair but I've no problems with you disagreeing:)

Yes of course excellent is great, I was just wondering if there was a better TV for VFM :smashin:

not so much turned right down

It was with the review sample but then I rarely have issues with buzz in my current house where the TVs back on to plasterboard. In my old house it was much more of an issue as it was all old brick.

It was with the review sample but then I rarely have issues with buzz in my current house where the TVs back on to plasterboard. In my old house it was much more of an issue as it was all old brick.

so there not to mention a big problem of the tv?

Mark, are you guys going to review the Samsung E550 soon? Im really keen to see the input lag results on this model with your new lag tester, please remember to try remaming all the HDMI inputs to pc, in case of any difference, thanks.

Mark, are you guys going to review the Samsung E550 soon? Im really keen to see the input lag results on this model with your new lag tester, please remember to try remaming all the HDMI inputs to pc, in case of any difference, thanks.

Hi

Yes, we will certainly try and get that one in too.

We will but we tried it with the E8 and E6 and it made no difference whatsoever. As long as you chose Game mode, you were good.

Dear Mark,

Don't suppose you can give the model number of those Panny RF glasses or, if not, a cryptic clue as to their identity? - advertising & all that!

Great Reveiw Mark :smashin:,
One thing i agree with 150% is those Poxy 4100 Glasses , Not quite so much about the Light entry from the Sides as i veiw 3D in Dark with just Bias on but the Fit is diabolical :eek:, like something you would fing in a cheap Xmas Cracker :laugh:.

Dear Mark,

Don't suppose you can give the model number of those Panny RF glasses or, if not, a cryptic clue as to their identity? - advertising & all that!

Probably These >Panasonic TY-ER3D4ME

Hi Mark, thanks for the review, think that glasses Panasonic TY-EW3D3LE are compatible with E6500?, Excuse my English, I am from Slovakia.

Great review again:smashin: greyscale is a bit disappointing out the box, easy to improve with a cheaper meter? the glasses and sound not being great don't bother me but colour and greyscale need to be up there with the ST50 to make it an easy purchase for me. Ill be getting a meter so if I can fix the greyscale Ill be happy.

The black level, dynamic range and colour accuracy were what made me think ST50 but with better motion and less DFC as well as colour and dynamic range of the ST and Important sold.

The brightness pops are of concern though:( still get some on my D6900. Is this a clear improvement on the D6900?.

I was hoping to demo before buying but its looking unlikely at the mo:mad: so going to have to religh on yours and others opinions more than Id like.

Oh and can we have motion having in the score board? Panasonic get a reference rating for a set that has some motion issues. Not saying it shouldn't necessarily not be reference due to this as no set is perfect, however it seems a tad unfair that Samsung's better motion isn't recognised clearly. Panasonic have it on black level and thus is made clear, but if Samsung have better motion should this also not be as clear? motion issues are one of the reasons I gave up with Panasonic.

Mark, what about the black level in 3d mode, are these like the 2012 Panasonic's in that 3d mode blacks are a lot lighter? I had a D8000 and an ST30 so I am aware that on both these 2011 models the blacks are ok in 3d mode

Also another site tested the 60" 6500 and got 0.02cd/m2 (bit lower than your reading even though they use the same meter) in all modes, was this the same on your sample, as you know the Samungs in the past had different mll using various refresh rates?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom