Samsung DVR-122 - I made the purchase...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheGame7, Jul 23, 2005.

1. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys,

The DVD Recorder I purchased, the Samsung DVR-122, is mentioned about these forums but there do not seem to be anyone who have actually made the purchase.

However, I did.

The reason I opted for it was because I required a DVD Recorder with DivX/Playback facilities. This offered me a limited choice but after some research on here and other sources, I realised that the cheap Chinese brands such as Yamada were not the option.

OK, so for those who have questioned the player in the past but could not get answers, I will start by confirming - YES it does play XVid as well as DivX, and it does a good job of this too!

Recording options, you get XP (1 hr), SP (2 hr), LP (4 hr) and EP (6 hr OR 8 hr).

When seeking advice about which recorder to go for, I was directed to this site: http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/index.HTML

An excellent site I must say and it opened my eyes to a lot of things as well as reassuring be about certain aspects.

In its top five list, this recorder was featured and since it was the only one in the list that played Div X, it was the one for me.

However, one of the features that I considered a bonus but which I also liked the idea of very much was the flexible record.

It stated that the Samsung was one of few manufacturers that provided the option, be it using the timer only.

Fair enough I thought.

Now I went about trying this once I received the recorder but a problem. In the manual, it explains flexible record and the fact that it can only be used in timer mode. But it also explains what it does - and that is that you enter the time frame you wish to record and then it looks and the space remaining on the disc and it chooses the mode, be it XP, SP, etc, to record in.

Is this how all flexible records are? Have I misinterpreted the information on this page: http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/guide4.HTML

I assumed that flexible record would adjust the bitrate accordingly so that a 3 hr programme for instance, would not be limited to the quality of a 4 hour cl

But with the Samsung this does not seem to be the case.

Or is the manual just not explaining it properly?

What test could I do? Is this a good one? Record something of say 2hr 45 in length using flexible record and see if the disc capacity is almost all used? If it is, it works how I think it should and if not, Samsungs just choose the next quality up, in this case 4hr.

Can the writer of the site please let me know where he got his info, it may need changing and I will help as much as possible - as I believe he is a member here.

Cheers!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Hi there,

The Flexible Record guide mentioned is aimed at Panasonic users - that said it should apply equally well to your Samsung when you set the Timer. The total recording time of your Timer programme should fill your DVD-RAM disc provided it exceeds 1hr in duration (any less and the Samsung can't use a higher bitrate anyway). I would urge you to actually try the machine out as opposed to reading the manual!

Yes - this would be a good test - but bear in mind there will always be some capacity left over once the Timer recording is complete - I would suggest doing a 3hr Timer FR recording and seeing what recording duration is left!

You are not alone with buying the Samsung - half a dozen of other readers have also made the purchase - in exchange for providing extensive advice I have asked them all to comeback after a few days/weeks use and write a review for the forum but none have :(

3. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Once I have used the product more and tested it to its limits, I would love to write a review for it.

I think its extremely helpful if someone can look upon another person's experiences, be it good or bad before making a decision as to whether or not to part with cash. Lessons learned by one should not become mistakes for other people too.

I only got a chance to read the manual as I am rather busy at the moment but as soon as I can spare some time I will give the FR mode a go and see if its like the Panasonic one or if the Samsung one is in fact not but instead just decides which mode to record in.

4. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    P.S. Should I use the DVD-Ram or will a DVD-RW do the same thing (I ask as I have DVD-RWs at hand), at this moment in time I cannot see the difference between the two as both can be formatted to VR Mode, is there any difference of affect, disregarding their physical attributes and the way in which data is written?