Samsung DVDR_122 picture corruption

chrispinnock

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am having a lot of trouble with this DVD recorder. I purchased it as part of a deal with a 32" Samsung LCD screen (High Def ready LE32 41) from Comet.

I've plugged in the SKY box into the DVD recorder via SCART cable and aerial. On both aerial and SKY signals I see chessboard corruption on captions - particularly seen on the SKY+ menus.

I have tried changing cables, removing the SKY box from the equation, removing the aerial and just using the SKY box, but to no avail. Obviously this corruption makes it onto the recording. The SKY box signal is completely steady direct into the TV and so is the aerial signal.

I've tried using the RGB output of the SKY box and the Video output of the SKY box.

All cables have been replaced, but no effect.

I've replaced the DVD recorder by going back and arguing, but the new box has the fault too.

Furthermore, yesterday I was getting extreme pixelation on watching a prerecorded DVD yesterday which seemed to be intermittent. The box froze for about 15 seconds before continuing on one occassion (at which point, I pulled the disc out and used my Xbox to continue watching).

The Comet engineer hasn't been particularly helpful and after explaining the whole thing 3 times, he thinks it is the television... The only way I can see this to be true is if the television is somehow interfering with the box.

I've moved the DVD recorder to another TV with a freeview box, and it is better, but there is still slight chessboard patterning on captions (e.g. BBC 3 test screen).

At this stage, I don't know whether to follow Comet's advice and take back the TV (which doesn't appear to be faulty at all) or just go out buy a Lite On that will also record more formats and take the other back.

Difficult. Any ideas anyone?? Am I doing something stupid? :rolleyes:

In the Sky Picture Settings option make sure you have the SCART Control option set to on as well as having the Video output one set to RGB.

smallmanongn said:
In the Sky Picture Settings option make sure you have the SCART Control option set to on as well as having the Video output one set to RGB.

SCART control option is on. Video output is RGB. Still no difference. The same problem happens with input from aerial.

Dont have Sky so cannot comment on your setup.
I am certain though that Samsung will have tested
various setups with their own equipment. You may purchase a Liteon and then find you have exactly the same effect.

Do you not have another TV to test with? Perhaps a relative will loan you a dvd recorder to do a test with although the fact that you have replaced the dvd recorder with another one already would seem to rule out the latter.

Okay,just a suggestion.
I had a checkerboard effect on the yellow parts of the Sky banners and it turned out to be that I didn't have the Scart control on so wasn't getting RGB.

ROYOLD said:
Dont have Sky so cannot comment on your setup.
I am certain though that Samsung will have tested
various setups with their own equipment. You may purchase a Liteon and then find you have exactly the same effect.

Do you not have another TV to test with? Perhaps a relative will loan you a dvd recorder to do a test with although the fact that you have replaced the dvd recorder with another one already would seem to rule out the latter.

Have tried with another TV, but that is a smaller CRT and it is difficult to tell. Also with Freeview box. Still getting patterning on captions (recorded the BBC 3 test page). The problem seems to be at the input stage of the DVD recorder.

If I put the SKY+ planner up, turn off the TV and remove the plug and record the picture on the DVD, I still get the corruption on the recording.

I have taken one of these recordings to another DVD player and the corruption is visible on another setup.

The next step is to ask the neighbours if they have a wireless basestation the other side of the wall or similar. And also take the kit to a friends up the road to see what happens.

My neighbours mobile phone plays hell with my freeview reception when he uses the phone. We both have wideband aerials attached to the same central chimney stack and I think that his phone signals get routed via his aerial direct into mine. He uses the mobile in preference to the landline as he gets so many free calls with his particular BT contract. Doesn't affect analogue signal as much so this is going to be a problem when the analogue signals are switched off.

I'm stumped. Very slight checkerboarding on the rubgy score top left hand corner caption at a friends today when I took the DVD recorder, but he has a CRT and that hides some of the sins. Obviously the patterning that has got recorded onto a disc showed up.

The thing is that the SKY+ signal is completely clean straight into the TV. This suggests to me that either something is interfering with the DVD recorder or the DVD recorder is not good enough to record images that can be displayed on a 32".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom