1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Dvdhd950

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mark pallister, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mark pallister

mark pallister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi all,
    anyone got one of these samsung dvdhd950
    would welcome some info

2. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mark, Ive tried one, what information do you need?
    Clyde.

3. Chanes

Chanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you like to know that can't be found on the specification? I have a 850 which doesn't have the extras for sound but is the lower model to the one you are asking about (good price too!)

4. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Does the 950 have auto Pal/NTSC switching?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    no and it is a right pain in the ****, this alone makes it useless but there are are more serious problems with this player.

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    How does a lack of NTSC switching make a player useless? I am sure that number of people who regularly import large quantities of American disks is minimal. Why watch NTSC when PAL for all its sins is better.

7. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Tried the 950 on at a friends house and it has the same trouble as the 850 playing discs burnt at anything over 4x write which really annoys the hell out of me cause i have some dvd creation software that has no speed settings so stuck at 8x burn ;/.

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    it doesn't make it useless, you just have to go in the menu and set it

for most normal people watching a movie, this means setting it once or twice a night, depending on how many movies you watch, and only if you are swapping between pal and ntsc discs

there are a few niggles about the player, but you soon get used to them. there are no real serious issues about the player. just that you have to manually change certain settings each time you turn the machine on or off, such as the front display (which is very bright)

9. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    why watch pal movies at the wrong speed and pitch to that intended by the director, when you can watch the movie the way it was intended in ntsc, in many cases weeks or months before the movies are available in the uk, and again in many cases imported cheaper from the states than available instores in the uk?

with a half decent setup you can eliminate the 2/3 pulldown jerkiness. i would bet that hardly anybody could tell if i was playing a pal or ntsc disc on my HD950 and pio505xda

10. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i've not had this problem with any discs burnt at up to 16x and it plays dual layer dvdr+ fine also. perhaps you have a problem with your dvd burner or you aren't using very good quality discs.

what burner do you have? what firmware? what dvd burning software? what type of discs?

with most dvd creation software you can author to a disc image or vob files and use other software like nero to burn a compliant disc

11. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I have to agree with a few of the comments on here....it is not all it's cracked up to be...it was a nice idea in theory.... but in reality it's a bit of a disappointment....yes it plays most discs thrown at it but the picture quality isn't exceptional ....and many will agree with me on that.

I was it's biggest fan when it came out, but after living with it for a couple of months I started looking objectively....and I can honestly say it's a disappointemnt....

Picture is avaerage not great and the upscaling is fine...nothing better than that....

I'd say hold onto your £100+ and buy a true hidef player next year....

12. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    When you've got close to 900 DVDs from ALL over the World auto switching is a must!!! ;)

13. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    When you've got close to 900 DVDs from ALL over the World auto switching is a must!!!

Happily I wouldn't have the time to watch 900 DVD's !

14. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I don't have time either.
    But I still have them. :clap:

Bought five more today that I'll have to find time to watch. ;)

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think it sums it up well. Audio and video are lacking. For those of us who have discs from around the world (inc R2 UK NTSC ones) the lack of NTSC / PAL auto switching is truely aweful. EVERY other player I have owned did it automatically from day one in 1997. Hey even LD did it over here. It for many of us (probably most) is one of the most basic things we expect on a DVD player, like a play button.

The display is dreadful. The video outputs are none standard (white lines) and it is unique in this respect (a Samsung thing).

But it is the sub standard audio and video which is the deal killer. There are many better ways to spend the money. All in all this is the weakest DVD player I have ever bought. Nice colour though.....

Re PAL better than NTSC, WOW news to me ;) personally I thought they were different but broadly comparable in quality.

16. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Looks like I won't be touching Samsung players in the, not too distant, future.

17. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i have more than double that amount and i don't find setting either pal or ntsc just before i start watching a movie a particularly hard task. it takes longer to open a bottle of wine or can of beer or packet of crips

the number of discs owned bears absolutely no relation to the few seconds involved setting pal or ntsc before spending 2 hours watching a movie. you only need to change the setting if you are watching a pal disc after an ntsc disc (or vice versa), so it's not always necessary to change all the time

it's maybe not as convenient that it doesn't do auto switching, but it's hardly the great task you make it out to be. it is a bit of a pain having to spend a few seconds switching off the front light and swapping pal to ntsc or whatever, but it's nothing compared to the time you then spend watching the disc

it should be the quality of picture and sound, and playability of formats thats of main concern. if it was the best player in the world picture wise and played multi region and all disc types, i'm sure you would put up with this and the other minor niggles (it's probably not the greatest player in the world, but it's the cheapest option to offer dvda, sacd and hdmi)

18. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Well tonight I watched the title sequence of Superman R1 then I put in Contact and watched the end sequence R2 then I put in TPM and watched the pod race R1 then I put in Lost in Space and watched the start sequence R2 Then I watched Shutter R3.

What a pain in the ar** that would have been if I had the HD950. :thumbsdow
    Luckily my Pioneer handled it all without seeing a single setup screen. :smashin:

You said it all in your past post:-

"the sammy did have both hdmi and dvi cables in the box, it doesnt look to bad either, its just the menu mucking around thats a pain."

And what a pain it is. :rolleyes:

19. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I totally agree, for £130 its not a bad player. Yes you can pay twice as much and get a better player such as the denon 1920, similar features... but then that has some "major" bugs that need you to pull-out the power and re-apply! by no mean good :eek:

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    but it isn't any good at video or audio, the player stinks so we are certainly no going to put up with it, when auto NTSC / PAL Is something that is standard on every other player since the dawn of DVD times.

Yes it can be done but this single feature made me give up on using player at any time, long before I finished testing it. Try telling my wife or my 3 year old twins they need to check for NTSC.... when they put on a Rx disc in. Hell my 3 year old don't even know about regonal coding until next months lesson ;) and my wife will never know!!

I think that even if was the greatest product on earth, if it ain't easy to use, it simply won't get used. Not when there are so many good players out there.

I would also need to:

tape over the display as it illuminates the whole cinema and kill the contrast
    adjust the KD HDL as the Samsung has a unique and non standard output.
    We won't mention th iffy upscaling as potentially this player can give it's best output at 768p (non HDMI standard) from a SCART connector using component signals!!!!!.

Geee I like easy to use players like this :) I guess that is why I keep kicking it when I walk past towards a better player.

If cheap for the money is it's best selling point them I am one that is not converted, especially when others can do better, much better and often for less.

21. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The denon 1920 was going for £199 (delivered) from Weymouth Hi-Fi, not exactly double the price. :cool: (it got a 5 star rating in What Hi-Fi and Video this month).

The bug you mentioned has been resolved by members of this forum do a search and see.

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and the player performs in a differnet league but so does the £80 Tosh.

23. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I've read the Tosh is not very good on HDMI playback. Is this true?

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    no

25. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have both sami 850 and tosh 350 and the tosh is better via comp and hdmi than the sammi and easier to use (ie auto switching).

The down side is i thought these to players would be better than my old sd330e but not realy and definitely not the sami.

by the way-attched to hitachi 42inch plama 7200

I hope this helps

The last word- if you have a good player now doent waste your money or if you have too much money send it to the earthquake apeal

azz

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    wise words

27. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i'm not trying to defend the player, just point out a few things. personally i don't watch much tv stuff at all, or when i do i will watch all the episodes on a disc. it doesn't sound like the right player for you, but not everyone will swap discs as commonly as yourself, as i say, most people will just watch one or two movies at a time, so the switching isn't such a problem. likewise how many people are going to let 3 year old kids in charge of something like that? if someone is unable to figure out how to change a few simple menu settings they are possibly unlikely to notice the difference between a disc played back at pal or ntsc, or care even

btw, the screen light is very bright, but you can turn it off, so you don't need to tape it up

oh, and although the don't appear to have had stock, empiredirect are listing the denon at £182+ delivery

at the time of purchase, the hd950 was the only option available in its price range, the 1920 was on the horizons but after i heard about the problems with it i decieded against it, although making the choice now, i would consider it

i'm just trying to give an unbiased and realistic opinion on things. as i say again, for the money it plays most formats, so for people on a budget that want to play dvda or sacd its worth considering

28. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Unique - I quite agree. It's not usual to watch a few minutes of one DVD and then a few minutes of another, and another etc... NTSC (I thought it stood for Never Twice the Same Colour) is not the standard for UK and European TV and you cannot buy disks in the main High Street shops. Why slag off something because it does not meet the standards from the other side of the globe. If I imported a car from the US is there a Website where I can moan that everyone here is driving on the wrong side of the road to suit my left hand drive ?

NTSC disks in my part of the Universe are usually pirated copies of originals obtained from the local US Air bases. As for getting to see films before they are released on DVD here, well there is still something called 'the cinema' which most of the epic blockbusters are designed for. The studios are so anxious to get a return on their money that DVDs are released much sooner than they used to be on both sides of the Atlantic.

I'm not sure why this particular piece of equipment deserves the attacks made on it. It's pretty good value for money. The sound is processed by my audio system, so that isn't an issue for me. Not much wrong with what I am hearing through the tv speaker. As for the upscaling, well I've got an expensive tv to do that. If you mess about upscaling twice you invariably get a lousy picture. In any case upscaling is just a 'faking it' option until HD comes along then we will all abandon it. As for passing the '3 year old' test that's a bit ridiculous. However user friendly a piece of gear is eventually some kid will try to stick a jammy sandwich in the 'in tray'.

It's quite a versatile player. Works adequately for the money and offers all sort of features that my LG didn't. I can watch my holiday photos on it - no big deal, but I find it useful.

I suspect most people are like me who want to use the HDMI socket have bought a modestly priced DVD to bridge the gap until proper HD players appear. Of course there will always people seeking that unachievable goal 'perfection' who will slag them off as well.

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I can live with that ;) There are many things I like about the player but much like the 3910 there are things I wish it did better.

30. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Thanks Nic