Samsung DVDHD850 - HDMI connection queries

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tonyw, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tonyw

tonyw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Have just installed my pioneer 505XDE and bought a samsung HD850 DVD player although picture looks great, i have a few questions as follows:-

1. previous DVD player was scart connection and switched AV channels automatically, with the HD850 and HDMI connetion i have to manually select the input channel..is this correct!!!

2. I know the HD850 scales the resolution to max. 1080i but my display shows a resolution of 1125i when playing a DVD, although certaining not complaing just wondering why???

any answers gratefully recieved.

cheers :)

2. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i have the hd950 and pio505xda, so similar system. i need to change the channel manually to select input 3 which is the hdmi - it doesn't bother me as i mainly just watch dvds on it

and i think your probably better off choosing the 720p setting rather than 1080 interlaced as that will give you direct 1:1 pixel mapping as the pio505 is 1280x720 (or whatever). the 1080i is for 1920x1080, so your just blowing up your dvd bigger than your tv can handle, so your tv is having to downsize back down to 720i - or something like that, i'm sure someone more technical can explain better - anyways, choose 720p on the 850. and it seems in the settings on the plasma, use the ADV cinema mode if your watching ntsc, and turn it off if your watching pal. this will let you strim out the additional frames created by 3/2 pulldown and show ntsc at 24fps, but obviously it cant do this with pal - i find these the best settings myself. haven't calibrated the screen yet, i have the nokia calibration download so going to try that soon by connecting my pc to the vga socket - you can google up the small free download and give it a bash.

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Only scart has auto switching.