SAMSUNG DVD-SH893M long films to DVD

cjhodgkiss

Standard Member
hi my DVD SH893M has film on its HDD which are over 2hrs, now i know the DVD will not burn DL DVDs. is there a way to burn them onto DL DVD's? i thought about connecting the HDD to my PC but not sure if the PC will understand the format, or can i put a DL DVD recorder in the Samsung?

Broadz

Just use a quality lower than SP if you want to fit the whole movie on a single disc - my DVD recorder will fit up to 13 hours of material on a single layer disc, though the quality is pretty ropey - or split the movie into two or more parts, each of two hours long, and archive them to disc still in SP mode.

Gavtech

Administrator
hi my DVD SH893M has film on its HDD which are over 2hrs, now i know the DVD will not burn DL DVDs. is there a way to burn them onto DL DVD's? i thought about connecting the HDD to my PC but not sure if the PC will understand the format, or can i put a DL DVD recorder in the Samsung?

Firstly, films over 2 hours are very rare indeed... so ensure the material is reduced to its minimum by editing out adverts, if present, and any trash at the beginning and end.
That may get it down to below 2 hours.

Secondly, whether or not you do the above, try to put it on a conventional disc. You may find it will go.
The two hour limity is not absolute and how the material was sourced can make a large difference to toal capacity of a disc.

Thirdly, if it will not go onto a standard disc, see if you can use the FR mode [ Flexible record mode] to copy onto disc.

Fourthly, the above may not be possible depending on where the title was sourced - If from a digital tuner, I believe these machines do not permit re-enciding of such broadcasts.

{Edit - Cross posted with Broadz}

Machloop

Novice Member
I have tried this didnt work, is there a way of taking hdd out and conecting straight to pc

Yes the HDD is very easy to remove from the Sammy. You could then connect it directly into the PC, if you have a spare slot, or fit it into an external case. [It is a 3.5" SATA unit]
I'm not sure how much good this will do you though but do let us know. :smashin:

Machloop

Novice Member
connected to pc fine but the video files are protected so they wont play and ideas round this

Are you sure that the problem is copy protection? :confused: If your DVD burner reports copyright problems, this can usually be sidestepped with additional software installed.

I was expecting windows not to recognise the file extentions or even fail completely to read the HDD but if you can see the files and move them to your PC you are half way there. [Though the other half may still be impossible].

What file extensions can you see ?

Gavtech

Administrator
Members must not discuss matters of copyright defeating.

cjhodgkiss

Standard Member
i would just like to confirm something, i wish to burn dvd's from my DVD HDD to a dvd, the dvd in the samsung is not a duel layer burner so all i wish to do it connect it to my pc and the duel layer dvd burner. not even sure if it is copywrited but is this breaking copy write any more the the samsung writing the discs?
i am just asking the question to help solcve my issue not argue about copywrite

Machloop

Novice Member
Of course not. As you say what difference is there between recording directly to DVD or going via your HDD to get it onto the disc? Unfortunately sometimes in order to get the desired effect with the Samsung the copyright protection needs to be defeated. I soon hit this problem when trying to record from my Virgin 'on demand' channel as, for some reason. I can record Corrie 'live' but not the next day from 'on demand' [crazy]. But the mods here get uptight about even talking about this stuff, never mind explaining how to do it.

I was thinking that the Sammy had a DL burner in it. I know that it will play dual layer disks. You could always put your DL drive from your PC into it. Anyway, copy the files onto your PC and try a few different programs to open them. If you can tell which files are which, maybe copying them straight to DVD then finalising in the Sammy may work? :hiya:

Gavtech

Administrator
But the mods here get uptight about even talking about this stuff, never mind explaining how to do it.

It is in the rules you have agreed to abide by... and you have been repeatedly told why it is necessary.

You know the score. Pushing the boundaries is pointless.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom