Samsung DVD SH871M DVD HDD Recorder.

C

Corf68

Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my new Samsung DVD recorder to my Samsung LE32R LCD TV, and am finding the instructions very confusing. There seems to be three ways to set it up and I'm attempting to use the HDMI cable route - nothing else is to be connected. I was advised that there would only be the three connections between the TV and DVD if doing this, i.e. HDMI cable, aerial cables and Scart but I'm now not so sure about whether the Scart connection should be used; instead, the manual appears to suggest that the colour coded jack plugs only need be used when connecting via HDMI.
I've got all the Freeview channels but the picture quality and sound isn't as good as it was prior to connecting the DVD recorder. I'd be very grateful for any clarification on what I'm doing wrong.
Also, is it correct that the DVD must be switched on in order to view all the digital channels? I only seem to be able to get analogue when the TV alone is switched on, whereas previously, all Freeview digital channels were available through the TV.

Many thanks.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my new Samsung DVD recorder to my Samsung LE32R LCD TV, and am finding the instructions very confusing. There seems to be three ways to set it up and I'm attempting to use the HDMI cable route - nothing else is to be connected. I was advised that there would only be the three connections between the TV and DVD if doing this, i.e. HDMI cable, aerial cables and Scart but I'm now not so sure about whether the Scart connection should be used; instead, the manual appears to suggest that the colour coded jack plugs only need be used when connecting via HDMI.
I've got all the Freeview channels but the picture quality and sound isn't as good as it was prior to connecting the DVD recorder. I'd be very grateful for any clarification on what I'm doing wrong.
Also, is it correct that the DVD must be switched on in order to view all the digital channels? I only seem to be able to get analogue when the TV alone is switched on, whereas previously, all Freeview digital channels were available through the TV.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

You do not require the colour coded jacks.

HDMI is optional and not really necessary.
It is probably better to setup using scart and only add HDMI later when you have the system up and running and stable.

Yes you should have all Freeview channels on the TV whether the unit is on or not.
Ensure you have the aerial lead coming into the DVDR and an aerial flylead coming out of the DVDR and linked to the TV.

The likelihood is simply that there is some confusion about what is selected on the TV and you probably have to select the digital tuner to get the digital channels on there.

C

Corf68

Thank you for the response Gavtech, I appreciate the assistance. Regards.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom