Samsung DVD-ROM, It has locked to R2, How do I make it code free?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rhinoman, Jul 1, 2001.

1. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    this http://www.firmware.fr.st/ is the place to get frimware upgrades to unlock DVD rom drives but i think you may be out of luck as not all of the Samsung drives have been sorted yet :(

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,061
    Well not being very computer literate i didnt realise that i could only change the code on the region setting 4 times and now the thing has locked on R2.

So looking around i downloaded DVD Genie to no avail, the thing needs the firmware changed. I thought i had found what was needed to change the firmware, but after downloading i had no idea how to implement it.

Any one had any similar problems and can advise. The DVD-ROM is a Samsung SD612 with firmware st04.

Any help is welcomed.

Cheers
    Phil. :(

[ 01-07-2001: Message edited by: THX 1138 /THX TEX ]

[ 01-07-2001: Message edited by: THX 1138 /THX TEX ]

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767
    I've seen DVD roms going for £38 now, so you could just buy another one (if you've got the room/connections to do it) and have two DVDs in your PC - one for R1, and the other for R2.

I've seen this set-up, and it works. I can find the guy who sis this if you want to see how he did it, and if there were any problems.

Gary.