Samsung DVD-R150M

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by furney7, Sep 18, 2007.

1. furney7

furney7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Has anybody heard anything about the Samsung DVD-R150M?

Its the only DVD-recorder i can find which has HDMI, Freeview tuner and divx player for under £100.

I have spoken to dabs and they say it will be in within the next two weeks.

Carnt find any reviews on it,

Any information would be great,

David

2. hemalv

hemalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for this product for while and most sites seem to be out of stock/pre-order.

dabs.com seems to have priced theirs at about £82 but I reckon they have mistakened it with the dvd-r150 (without the m at the end) which is a previous model. All other sites including argos which seem to have it in stock are retailing at the £150 mark? So is dabs really stocking what they have advertised. hmm... not so sure.

the r150m model has hdmi as mentioned on the samsung website but not sure aif it has the record one and watch another feature made possible by having twin digital tuners. that would really set it apart form other recorders for its price. the samsung dvd-sr150m, yet another model sold by comet seems to be an exact match and is available more easily. So is it really worth the wait?

Hemal

3. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    as far as i know, no dvd recorder available in Europe has twin digital tuners.

a dvd recorder here may be advertised as having "twin tuners", but only 1 of them will be digital, the other will be analogue. so if it has freeview, you can record 1 channel from freeview, and then switch to the analogue tuner to watch something from terrestrial TV (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5).

this depends on the quality of the analogue signal in your area though, so if it's a poor signal and you can't watch these channels comfortably on your tv with just the aerial plugged in, then don't aim your sights at a recorder with twin tuners as one of them (analogue) will be useless to you.

4. hemalv

hemalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure a poor signal in your area would mean that your anologue tv signal would be fuzzy when connected directly to the aerial as well when its coming through the DVD device. In that case you could either get a booster to improve the signal or get a set top box so that you can always watch tv regardless of what recorder you have.

the HUMAX DUOVISIO PVR9200T allows you to record one and watch another (both freeview) as well as record onto its hard drive, opening up other functionality(time-slip and so on). I've not been able to confirm if it plays divx however so will wait for r150m to be in stock in high street so i could go and have a look.

5. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung DVD-R150M has HDMI output and Freeview.

I think the Freeview is attractive for two reasons ...
    1) Record from TV Guide without having to manually type in date/time
    2) If TV also has Freeview you can record one freeview channel whilst watching another.

I agree that Dabs appear to have got the price or model number wrong! I'm buying one ASAP!

There are two other Samsung DVD Recorders with similar name -
    1) DVDSR150M - Freeview but no HDMI, £120-£150
    2) DVD-R150 - No Freeview or HDMI, £80

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Just a correction on this Point.

You are correct that DVDR's advertised as dual tuners will be analogue and digital and not twin digital... but I don't know of any that permit you to access the tuners individually.

They are usually dualled to present and behave as a single tuner, and so if you record from the digital tuner you cannot access the analogue tuner.

7. badmrtoad

badmrtoad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered this from Dabs last week @ £82.20 plus delivery when it was showing as 'due in 3-4 days', but today (11th Oct) I see that it's been changed to 'due in 3-4 weeks' :( and the price has increased to £90.24, hopefully my original order price will still be honoured as this seems like a bargain, my local Argos says it has them in stock for £149.99, as mentioned in the posts above there does seem to be some retailer confusion over the model numbers:oops:

8. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too ordered from dabs (on 9 Oct) for £82.20. I am pretty sure that our price is guaranteed. It still says 3-4 weeks and play.com says "due for release on 29 Oct" which makes you wonder how Argos have got it in stock already! Let's hope we get it soon, it is the right model and it proves to be the bargain that it seems.

9. badmrtoad

badmrtoad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I see Dabs have just changed the stock info to 'due in 1-2 weeks' so it looks like the play.com release date of 29th October is correct.

Don't mind waiting as it's such a good deal, although I am tempted to get one from argos now to 'test it' and then return it when I receive the dabs machine:devil:

10. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos web page says,"Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee".

11. badmrtoad

badmrtoad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dabs must have got a very limited supply in today as the item showed as 'in stock' for only a few hours this morning and then went back to 'due in 1-2 weeks' , just got email from them saying my pre-ordered machine has been shipped today at the original price i ordered (£82.20):clap:

UPDATE: Doh! Useless Dabs have just sent me a DVD-SR150M! it does NOT have any HDMI output or upscaling, only component output, the front of the machine is all black rather than the black/silver of the DVD-R150M aswell.

Just emailed them for an RMA but not sure when they will be getting the correct model in stock. I must say that a lot of the blame for this cockup lies with samsung uk and their confusing multiple model numbers.

I've also just seen that they have changed their website to only list model DVD-SR150M, so it looks like I will have to find a R150M somewhere else.

12. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes my order has metamorphasised into a DVD-SR150M too.
    Anyone know how much better an HDMI output is than a SCART to a 26" Sony Bravia LCD TV?

13. dtm123

dtm123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I bought one of these - Samsung DVd-SR150M

It has a Freeview tuner builtin as opposed to the DVD-R150 which is Analogue.

Has anyone else had problems with theirs ?

1) Playing a divx is ok but if you fast forward or skip it freezes and you have to stop then play which starts at the beginning again.
    2) Rec Mode button on the remote does not do anything and defaults to 2hours per disc.

Could be a faulty unit and I have arranged for the supplier to collect just wondered if anyone had these issues ??

Cheers
    D

14. badmrtoad

badmrtoad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding dtm123's above post about his problems with this dvd recorder, dabs.com sent me this model last week instead of the samsung DVD-R150M (with hdmi) that i had ordered.

I was pretty annoyed, as dabs.com hopeless and uncaring customer "service" drones only offered me a RMA/refund rather than sending me the model I ordered or offering any alternative for the same price, but I've now had some time to test it out and it's not a bad machine for the money that i paid (£86 inc delivery) and I will probably be keeping it rather than the hassle and delay of waiting for the rma and then finding a new machine with a similar price and spec.

NO HDMI but the component output does give a good picture with both the built in freeview and dvd player/recorder when connected to my samsung PS42Q97HDX plasma.

I've tried a wide variety of divx and xvid encoded files (all recorded on high quality verbatim 16x DVD-R discs at 8x speed) with this machine and they all played very well (even those encoded with QPEL,GMC, packed bitstream,etc despite what the manual says) with a surprisingly sharp,colourful and noise free picture with good sound (AC3, stereo, pro-logic etc) via the component and toslink optical outputs, no freeze problems when using fast forward,skip, pause etc on any of these files either, it also played every subtitle format (.srt, .sub, etc) that i tried.

The 'record mode' button on the remote only works when you are in 'external mode' or normal analog TV mode (ie watching or recording from an external freeview box plugged into the scart inputs)), record mode can't be adjusted when using the built in freeview (or DVB-T as the samsung manual calls it), it only uses FR mode (flexible recording 1-8 hours) when recording from the built in freeview tuner, having tried both 'instant' and 'timer' recordings of various lengths on a single layer verbatim DVD-RW disc I was pretty impressed with the results, although you obviously get better video quality with shorter length record times.

dtm123 have you tried re-recording your problem divx files onto a good quality disc at a recording speed of 8x or less?

15. dtm123

dtm123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mrbadtoad

I have sent the recorder back for a full refund.

I have a Panasonic and a Pioneer freeview recorder and both allow me to choose how much I fit on a disc. I enjoy neing able to set the recorder to 4 hours and press record then walk out of the house which you cannot do without being able to manually set the record quality.

Also the Pioneer plays all my Divx files without a problem and if I had to re-encode them that would defeat the convenience of being able to burn and watch in minutes not hours.

If I had paid £86 I would be more than happy but I paid full price and so my expectations were higher.

I am now looking at either a Toshiba, Pioneer or Sony.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Freeview DVD recorder that plays Divx and lets you choose the record quality ? :lease:

16. smokeyhowle

smokeyhowle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought the Samsung DVD-SR150M, paid full price it's ok for the money.
    When using the free view tuner I've noticed that my screen will for no apparent reason flicker from colour to black and white, back and forth randomly, i've checked signal quality and its at 90% or above when it happens. is anyone else having similar problems?

17. Chris15

Chris15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm the information in Shanz's post on 9/10/07. There is no model with this exact number. It is in the Argos catalogue, but what you actually get is a DVD-SR150M.

The Argos catalogue says it has a twin tuner and a record one programme/watch another facility which is not the case. I have sent a e-mail to Argos to point out the mistake in their catalogue, which they have acknowledged. However, the description on their website is still wrong.

I have some comments on this recorder, but to avoid confusion I have started a new thread with the correct model number. See below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663432

18. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm giving up! Dabs status has fluctuated and they've even charged me already for the delivery! Now the status is "in constraint" so I'm about to cancel my order and look elsewhere. Funny how another poster received his from dabs but not me. I wonder whether they'll realise I need a refund for the delivery (guessing not).

19. daveha

daveha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my recorder from dabs on the 9th of oct. The delivery date has gone back and back so I cancelled it today. Not happy.