Samsung DVD-R125 owners help!

F

finn1581

Hi,

I purchased the mentioned DVD player yesterday to go with my LE3241BDX LCD.

I have conected it up using the HDMI conector and plyaed the new star wars dvd.

Now in the instructions it says that to enable 720p progressive scan I need to press the progressive scan button on the front of the DVD of which I did, the tv then went green for a second then 720p was highlighted in the corner of the screen, but according to the instructions Psan mode will be displayed on the display actually on the front of the dvd player, this does not happen!!
The only time it has lit up is when I disconected the HDMI cable and put in a scart cable, although the picture would not view then,

Can someone who has this player please confirm that this is right or wrong??

Many thanks in advance.............

Kalos Geros

Because HDMI can be nothing else but progressive scan so it needn't indicate this specifically on the display...it does indicate 720p(rogressive) and that's correct...the P(rogressive) scan and I(nterlaced) scan indicator only need to display when you are using analog connections (like SCART and component) and as soon as you connected the SCART, the player detected this and indicated PScan mode for the SCART...this was designed in such a way to let you know what mode the analog outputs are configured in so if you don't get a picture, you'd know that it's because the payer is in progressive mode which your TV may not be compatible with...accordingly, of course you could not see anything because the DVD-R125 doesn't output PScan from RGB SCART, only from component but it indicated that by displaying Pscan so that you can immediatelly tell that you are using the wrong mode for SCART...if you connected component after disconecting HDMI you would get a picture on LCD...don't be alarmed, everything is OK and is working as specified in the manual...

F

finn1581

Hi Kalos,

Many thanks for your reply,

So what your saying is that HDMI can only be progressive scan so it does'nt need to dispaly it on the DVD player which it doesn't?

Also my TV can display at 720 x 576 pixels, so would setting the dvd player to 720p give the best picture over 1080i??

Thanks again

Finn.

Kalos Geros

finn,

you need to let me know what's the native (physical) resolution of your display (is it Plasma or LCD)...I haven't heard of a 720x576 LCD or plasma so I must assume that it is either 852*480 (SD plasma) in which case I'd recommend you use 576p or it's an LCD with 1366*768 where I'd recommend 720p...it is best that you experiment and decide for yourself which is best to you...I can only talk theoretically since with some combinations you may get a better rescaling to 768 from 1080i than from 720

a little correction on my part - HDMI can produce interlaced 1080i signal but it should still report as 1080i and not IScan (which seems to be reserved only for analog outputs)...

F

finn1581

Sorry Kalos,

I got my figures wrong it was 1366 x 768 so thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards

Kalos Geros

No problem, I can now see you have stated your TV's model in the first place...basically what you did initially connecting your DVD to your LCD is exactly how it should be done...

Top Bottom