Samsung DVD-HR725 opinions wanted please

D

DaveP

I'm in the market for an upgrade to my Panny hs2. I quite like this Samsung but I'd like to hear what you guys that have one, really think about it.

I shall be connecting by HDMI to a new 42" Tosh LCD and I'm hoping this will replace my existing Denon 2900 that lacks the HDMI capability but will give me similar quality pictures.

Am I expecting too much and should I be saving up for Sony 910?

Thanks

Dave

So, not a single person, reading this forum, owns one of these?

I suppose that says it all really. It must be a really cr@p recorder.

It looks like I'll need to buy the Sony, or find a forum where the members are more helpful!

lurcher said:
usually sarcastic comments dont produce results.

It would seem that polite requests don't either.

But thank you for yours, I had done a search and found that thread lacking

I have one arriving next week.

It will replace a Toshiba RD XS34

Gus

Samsung 725

Well it's arrived and I've hooked it up and had a 5 minute play.

There are both HDMI-HDMI and HDMI-DVI cables in the box.

RAM disks have to be taken out of the caddy.

It's a bit noisy, louder than the Toshiba, however I think I had a really quiet Toshiba going by all the comments, it's not like a PC or anything but you notice it's missing when you turn it off, I never did with the Tosh. This is in a bedroom though on top of an open rack, I doubt if you would hear it in an AV cabinet.

It's easier to use than the Tosh, the menu's etc are simpler, at least that's the first impression.

DVD playback is good via component and s-vid, about as good as a Pioneer 575 I reckon. Haven't tried HDMI into my Samsung 23 inch LCD yet as it needs wall mounting.

Recording Sky to HDD looks spot on via RGB Scart into AV2.

Gus

Thanks for the udpate, very useful information:smashin:

Let us know how the HDMI goes please!

Can you also confirm that the Sky input as RGB gets passed through to the HDMI output? Does it get upscaled at all?

Cheers

Dave

Dave

I have Sky connected to the Samsungs AV2 scart socket using an RGB scart lead.

Samsung is connected to the TV by a component lead.

Sky is also connected to the TV by an S-Video lead.

There is a button on the front of the Samsung which needs pushing manually to enable Prog Scan, which I did.

The picture is just a bit cleaner via component, it's a worthwhile improvement.

Will check out HDMI later, I can tell you that if you connect HDMI it shuts off all other video feeds and it will only do 576P.

Gus

337GUS said:
I can tell you that if you connect HDMI it shuts off all other video feeds and it will only do 576P.

Gus

When you say "video feeds" do you mean that the signal from sky is switched off? In which case what does it show, TV, play back of recordings and DVDs?

And please please as this is very important to me. Is it possible to arrange MP3s and movies into folders on the drive?

Bruce Willy said:
And please please as this is very important to me. Is it possible to arrange MP3s and movies into folders on the drive?

I dont know for Samsung but after an extensive search i found only LG an Hitachi having this feature. They both saddly dont suport RGB IN but apart from that are very easy to use recorders and easy HDD upgrade ;)
Copying MP3's and DIVX video's to HDD make LG (RH7800H-RH7900H) for me my next recorder plus HDMI :smashin:
(i'm trying to sell my pio530 for an Lg, am i crazy or what ?)

gaspap said:
I dont know for Samsung but after an extensive search i found only LG an Hitachi having this feature. They both saddly dont suport RGB IN but apart from that are very easy to use recorders and easy HDD upgrade ;)
Copying MP3's and DIVX video's to HDD make LG (RH7800H-RH7900H) for me my next recorder plus HDMI :smashin:
(i'm trying to sell my pio530 for an Lg, am i crazy or what ?)
The Photo/Music partition is 10GB and seems fixed.

MP3: Up to 1500 files and 1000 subfolders can go into the MP3 folder

JPG: Up to 4500 files and 1000 subfolders can be copied into the Photo folder

You can only copy from DVD to HDD

You cannot copy Audio CD's

You cannot copy DiVX

Gus

DaveP said:
When you say "video feeds" do you mean that the signal from sky is switched off? In which case what does it show, TV, play back of recordings and DVDs?
I mean only pictures are available via HDMI so you cannot run another TV off S-Vid or component for example.

Gus ,
Are you saying thet the 725 doesn"t allow copy from HDD to DVD ?

DaveP said:
Thanks for the udpate, very useful information:smashin:

Let us know how the HDMI goes please!

Can you also confirm that the Sky input as RGB gets passed through to the HDMI output? Does it get upscaled at all?

Cheers

Dave
Sky gets passed from RGB Scart to HDMI 576P and damn fine it looks, very clean image with crisp bright colours :smashin:

I have it connected via HDMI-DVI cable to a Samsung 23T51B.

Gus

lurcher said:
Gus ,
Are you saying thet the 725 doesn"t allow copy from HDD to DVD ?
you cannot copy MP3 and JPG back to DVD according to the manual.

Couple of other questions,
1.The catalogue I have show the machine capable of upscaling to 720P is this correct ?
2.I have a 950 player and its looks compliment my Samsung LCD , I havent seen the 725 apart from a small picture in the brochure. Is it the same matt black finish. I did have the 125 Recorder but returned it after the RGB problem but liked its looks.

lurcher said:
Couple of other questions,
1.The catalogue I have show the machine capable of upscaling to 720P is this correct ?
2.I have a 950 player and its looks compliment my Samsung LCD , I havent seen the 725 apart from a small picture in the brochure. Is it the same matt black finish. I did have the 125 Recorder but returned it after the RGB problem but liked its looks.

1. 576P only, page 132 of the manual

2. It's matt black like the 950 and matches my Samsung 23 inch LCD nicely

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/dvdrecorder/dvdrecorder/dvd_hr725.asp?page=Features

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...=UM/200509/20050915075955875_HR725_XEB_BM.pdf

Gus

Thanks for the reply and the links , just was a little concerned as the Catalogue spec shows upscale to 720P/1080i like the 950 does, but the manual clearly states to 576P only. Dont know if this matters though !.

337GUS said:
You cannot copy DiVX

Does that mean you can only play them from CD/DVD?

gaspap said:
They both saddly dont suport RGB IN.............

But 337GUS is saying they do:
'Recording Sky to HDD looks spot on via RGB Scart into AV2.'.............
I have Sky connected to the Samsungs AV2 scart socket using an RGB scart lead.' 337GUS

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom