Samsung DVD HD950 HDMI setup in PAL

ivan1912

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I would need some assistence! :)

Ok, I have a 32 inch LCD HDTV/HDMI ready TV.

The specs are as follows:

- HDTV i HDMI
- P/S BG DK NTSC playback
- 3D comb filter
- Multi language & Windows-style OSD
- Multi screen layout: PIP,POP, 9-picture mode
- 2 x tuners with multi TV system
- Rezolution 1366x768 with 16.7 miliona colors
- contrast 1000 : 1
- 550 cd/m2
- NICAM/A2
- Auto memory picture and sound status

HDMI display formats suported:

480i @ 60Hz 480p @ 60Hz

576i @ 50Hz 576p @ 50Hz

720P @ 50/60Hz

1080i @ 50/60Hz

EDIT: if you guy's need more specs on the LCD TV let me know. It's not a name brand LCD, but it has a very good picture and supports HDTV/HDMI. And it wasnt all that expensive! :D

Ok so here is what happens. When the display mode in the Samsung DVD is set to PAL I can only get the picture to be at 576P @ 50Hz. I go into the settings and I try to change it to a higher rezolution but it wont let me. 576P @ 50Hz is the only display format I can set the DVD to when it is set to PAL.
So, I set the DVD to NTSC. Then my LCD sets the display format to 480p @ 60Hz, I go to the HDMI setting of the DVD and now I can change it to a higher setting 720p @ 50/60Hz or 1080i @ 50/60Hz and I can see that the picture is much nicer on the 720p and 1080i then it is on 480p.
So, my question is what cant I set the display format to 720p and 1080i when the DVD is in PAL mode but I can do it with no problems what so ever when my DVD is in NTSC mode? Should I just leave the DVD in NTSC mode? Will that hurt my LCD?

I live in Europe BTW :) Also what does the p and I stand for in 576i and 576p?

Thank you for helping me out!

EDIT: When the DVD is in NTSC mode the sound on the TV is much lower then it is when the TV is in PAL mode. When in NTSC mode I have to turn up the volume to get good sound.

ivan1912 said:
Hey guy's I would need some assistence! :)

I live in Europe BTW :) Also what does the p and I stand for in 576i and 576p?

Progressive
Interlaced

swb

Ivan this seems to be a bug with Samsung players...they may be running in 50Hz actually from a PAL disc even though you need to switch to NTSC to get upscaling via HDMI...

You can check by looking what input mode yout LCD reports (usually it may be displayed briefly when DVD gets online or you can press a menu/remote button usually labeled display/info or something

Secondly you can find a panning scene on one of your DVD discs and if it staggers unevenly then the player is really converting PAL 50Hz to 60Hz which in my opinion is unacceptable and you should return the player!

Kalos Geros said:
Ivan this seems to be a bug with Samsung players...they may be running in 50Hz actually from a PAL disc even though you need to switch to NTSC to get upscaling via HDMI...

You can check by looking what input mode yout LCD reports (usually it may be displayed briefly when DVD gets online or you can press a menu/remote button usually labeled display/info or something

Secondly you can find a panning scene on one of your DVD discs and if it staggers unevenly then the player is really converting PAL 50Hz to 60Hz which in my opinion is unacceptable and you should return the player!

When I turn the DVD on and it's in PAL mode the LCD say's 576p @ 50hz briefly. Dosent matter if I have a DVD in it or not I cant upscale the rezolution to 720p or 1080i. When I set the Samsung DVD to NTSC output at which point I get upscaling and everything now works on 60Hz and all of the display modes now work on my LCD (476p, 720p, 1080i)

Panning scene? I am sorry but I am new to all this can you please explain to me what that means?

mate i have this player and had exactly the same issues....

when you insert a disc it does not tell you if its NTSC or pal... thi sis not ideal if like me you leave discs all over th epalce and forget which ones are imports :O(

Anyway go into the main menu and select the output resolution - set it PAL or NTSC then to HDMI720p, then I beleive there is another menu that allows you set it to RGB expand - set this as well....there is also another to set to HD in stead of SD (standard defition).Phew !!!

Hope this halps matey :O)

Yeah, Paul. But the problem I have is when I set the output to PAL I only have 576p option. But in the NTSC output I have the 576p 720p an 1080i

neilmcl said:
Ivan, what is the video system on your LCD set to - Auto, PAL or NTSC?

I belive it's PAL but I will check. I do live in Europe so I am allmost 100% it's PAL.

If you have an Auto setting on the LCD, try using that and see if it works.

You guy's think that could be the problem? I mean I can watch E.U DVD's normally it's just that I have to set the DVD output to NTSC.
To me it sounds like the DVD cant send out 720p and 1080i in PAL (maybe it's locked!?)

...Or maybe your display can't really accept 720p/50 or 1080i/50 like it says it can.

HAving just had a read of the HD950 manual can I check how you are trying to output 720p/1080i over PAL. If TV system menu option is set to PAL and Video Output is set to HDMI/COMPONENT(P-SCAN), do you use the HDMI Sel button on your remote to change between 576p and 720p or are you just trying to use the DVD menu.

Hrm, maybe :D

Gona call up the place where I bought it and I will ask :) In anyway it works in NTSC mode so I am ok I guess :p

neilmcl said:
HAving just had a read of the HD950 manual can I check how you are trying to output 720p/1080i over PAL. If TV system menu option is set to PAL and Video Output is set to HDMI/COMPONENT(P-SCAN), do you use the HDMI Sel button on your remote to change between 576p and 720p or are you just trying to use the DVD menu.

I use the samsung DVD menu and I tried to adjust it via the HDMI Sel button.

Just talked to the people that sold me my TV. They said that the PAL system dosent have a set stander for HDTV yet. Hence why my DVD cant send out the 720p and 1080i signal via PAL.

So for now I have to keep it in NTSC and when the standered comes along I just have to upgrade my software on my DVD and TV I guess.

I think the confusion here is that you're referring to PAL/NTSC and HD Video Signals as if they were the same thing. There is no such thing as a PAL or NTSC HD Video. There is PAL (576 lines) which can be ouput as 576i or 576p or NTSC (480) lines, output as 480i and 480p, and there are the HD Video signals of 720p/50, 720p/60, 1080i/50 and 1080i/60. The question here is whether you've got the DVD player set up correctly to output 720p/50 and 1080i/50 and does you're TV really accept those signals, and whether you have to setup anything on the TV specially for this. It would help if you name the manufacturer and model of the LCD.

OK I've had another read so try this.

Without a DVD in the player select the Display Setup Menu and set TV System to PAL (make sure the TV system on your TV is also set to PAL or Auto - preferable).

Set Video Output to HDMI/COMPONENT(P-SCAN), making sure that it has been saved.

Now in HDMI setup are you able to select 720p, if not try setting the Format to RGB-Normal. If you still can't select 720p it may mean that your LCD won't accept it so go back to Video Output and set it to HDMI/COMPONENT(I-SCAN) and see if you can set HDMI to 1080i.

This is the way it should work according to the manual and you should be able to change these settings on the fly by using the Video Sel and HDMI Sel buttons on your remote. If you're still have no luck then I'd suggest that it's probably something to do with your display.

Gona try it but all of the resolutions 478p 720p 1080i work perfectly in NTSC.

ivan1912 said:
Gona try it but all of the resolutions 478p 720p 1080i work perfectly in NTSC.

but like I said, you may be getting 50Hz converted to 60Hz in the player which causes jerky pans (panning is when a camera rotates around it's axis or moves sideways (technically not a pan but we'll use it here anyway) - if you are from HR like as I suspect then "švenk" would be the word to describe it)!!!

Anyway, proposed (and most likely) HD standard for Europe is 50Hz so don't see the problem there to include720/1080 50Hz modes...HD is supposed to be a worldwide standard so ALL HD devices should accept 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz signals...

Pozdrav...

Kalos Geros said:
Anyway, proposed (and most likely) HD standard for Europe is 50Hz so don't see the problem there to include720/1080 50Hz modes...HD is supposed to be a worldwide standard so ALL HD devices should accept 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz signals...
But his display is a cheap Chinese made no-name that although has HDTV written on it doesn't mention "HD Ready" anywhere. So although the specifications say that it accepts both 50Hz and 60Hz HD video formats this may not be the case.

Kalos Geros said:
but like I said, you may be getting 50Hz converted to 60Hz in the player which causes jerky pans (panning is when a camera rotates around it's axis or moves sideways (technically not a pan but we'll use it here anyway) - if you are from HR like as I suspect then "švenk" would be the word to describe it)!!!

Pozdrav...

Ok I thought that is what panning ment :) Nope panning works 100%

Just something I noticed is that I cant set my DVD to HDMI (I-scan) in the options.

neilmcl said:
But his display is a cheap Chinese made no-name that although has HDTV written on it doesn't mention "HD Ready" anywhere. So although the specifications say that it accepts both 50Hz and 60Hz HD video formats this may not be the case.

Yes, it is a possibility that it was made for markets other than European and that's why it came cheap (but not a bargain, LCDs of that size from well known manufacturers can be had for just a fraction more) but without 50Hz support...perhaps the LCD is reporting 60Hz-only when handshaking via HDMI...anyway if there is no jerkiness then it seems to be running at 50Hz regardless of what is set in the Samsung's menu...

it seems that you can only get progressive on SD sources via HDMI...

guys,

I dont think its the DVD...... if you connect your DVD via DVI with LCD I bet it is working 1080i /50Hz

I had the same thing.... and the problem is the LCD which is not excepting the signal in PAL

Its a know issue with the LG 32lx2r

LG provides a firmware update....

I have the feeling ur LCD has the same issue.

HDMI standard has to support 1080i on 50Hz

If the DVD player doesnt get to OK from the LCD to show it.. it wont do it, so no option.

Samsung is not aware of any problem with the output.. been there.. got the T-shirt.. :)

edit:
and another thing.. HDTV is not HD ready..... HDTV just means the LCD has the resolution to display it, doenst mean its compatible with HDMI or HDCP standard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom