1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DVD-HD935

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richard Moore, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen many posts on this one. DVD PS + DVI plus all the usuals. Only £176 and it's not so ugly as some of the Chinese players - step up to the plate Bravo !

I rang the company today who are selling this unit. They were a bit coy about the mutli-region hack (if there is one) with suggestions to "go and check the web".

It seems like a really well specced unit - what am I missing. No need to buy from DE or HK either.

Oh and while I'm here am I right in thinking that some of these DVI players have to switch off some copy protection signal on the DVI output so PJ's and FS's will use it ? Or am I just hopelessly confused :eek:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Richard,

This appears to be the European version of the HD931 which has been out in the US for a few months - check out the dozens of threads about it on www.avsforum.com You will need an HDCP enabled DVI input to make use of the upscaling - it is not available from the component output. Hope this helps.

Steve

PS My Momitsu's not ugly!:eek: :smoke:

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I’ve been holding out for this player over the Momitsu as it should be a perfect match for my Infocus 5700 - its native res it 1024 x 576 and the hd935 does 576p via dvi. It does seem like a well specced unit, I’ve been waiting over a week now for it to arrive, so I hope it’s worth it! When I get it I'll try the usual Samsung hack and report back if it works or not.

Like Dutch says, the hd935 needs to be used with a display device that is HDCP (High Definition Content Protection, I think!) compliant. If your device isn’t compatible, the 935 wont work, but the V880 would as it doesn’t use HDCP to encrypt its output.

4. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yersss - well as I'm also getting a 5700 I think we can both hope it will work fine !

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Would I gain anything using a Momitsu or other DVI player on my Sony KP-44PS2 Rear projection TV? I am getting a little confused reading about this new technology. I guess not as I only have Scart connections, 1 RGB, 2 SVID.

6. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbeetle.

Unless your TV has a DVI input the Momitsu, Brainwave,Bravo et al will be wasted on your TV. In addition as far as I am aware , unless your TV has component video inputs then progressive scan will also not be of much use. I may be completely wrong on this but it would help if you mentioned what inputs your TV does have.

7. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    I said above it only has scart sockets, one RGB enabled and 2 S-Video

8. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey give me a break it's late you know :cool:

9. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    :laugh: :rolleyes:

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is there any way to "unlock" this player to output 1080i via component? my screen like most UK versions of plasmas doesn't have a HDCP complient DVI socket.

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just thought you should know that I've just tried this unit with my NON HDCP Projector and got 720p out of the unit! All the other modes fail.

Interestingly outputting 720p my PJ is reading that it is getting a 1280x720 signal, which is a 1:1 mapping! ;)

The region hack had already been done on the unit so I have no idea if that makes any difference.

Not sure if it is any better than the V880 as it just won't work for me, even though it should.

Cheers
    Marc

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Marc,

That's good news that you're getting 720p from the DVI into a non-HDCP compliant projector - I'm sure it's not supposed to! :smashin:

Steve

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You're right it isn't supposed to let me. It even says it in the manual!

Maybe the multi region hack did it? I never had chance to try it unhacked.

It's very annoying that I can't get a non HDCP player to work with my non HDCP projector!

I'm going to give it some good testing over the weekend, looking forward to it.

Cheers
    Marc

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I asked DigiUK if this dvd player outputs 1080i via YPbPr component, and their answer was

"Thank you for your enquiry,

The DVD-HD935 is capable of outputting 480p~ 720p/1080i through Analogue/Digital video

Kind Regards
    Alastair Morgan - Digi-UK"

So is that a yes or a no?

15. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, the HD935 does not scale its output over component, only DVI. Although you could use a converter from DVI -> VGA if you have a VGA input.

I would also recommend that anyone interested should demo the player first. I have had 2 players now and both seemed to have trouble when deinterlacing PAL disks; unstable images full of artifacts and blocky edges. I found it so bad that I actually preferred the picture using component, and as I bought the player for its DVI output it had to go!

Interestingly, region 1 doesn't show the same problems, so it looks like Samsung haven't done their homework on the conversion to PAL. Until this is sorted out I would not recommend this player.

One last point, when the player outputs 720p / 1080i it does it at 60Hz. So as a final insult introduces stutter and jerky panning to PAL disks!

16. tapani

tapani
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD935 works perfectly with my non HDCP compatible projector Optoma H56 with DVI in 576p and 1080i modes

Tapani