Samsung DVD-HD935 Firmware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JohnWH, Jan 28, 2004.

1. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Any one know if there's any firmeware updates for this player available? Or perhaps anyone know if there's some service menus that can be gotten into?

Only asking as the player is generally good, however for some reason I can't get it to pump out 580p on PAL sources from the DVI output when "native" mode is selected (component output is fine), instead is sticks out 800x600 for some reason.

As it stands I'm using it in 720p mode as it gives an excellent picture, but I can't help think that 580p into a projector with 576 lines native would be better as all scaling should be bypassed...

Thanks,
    John.

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I take it no one has an answer to this?

John.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Scaling wouldn't be bypassed .. as in 1:1 mapping bypassed .. and though the re-scaling will just have to eliminate 4 pixels horizontally a scaler could still manage to mess up the PQ somewhat, depending on its' intelligence.

What display device are you driving?

4. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Pushing through a Sharp XV-Z200.

My understanding is that 580p actually only has 576 active lines, so shouldn't actually incure scaling. Naturally I could be wrong in this as I'm only making this assumption based on the fact that 580p doesn't correspond to any "standard" resolution that I've ever heard of, so am assuming that 580p is just 576p after having been passed through a "marketing-marketing-marketing" mangle.

But yes, invoking the scaler to go from 580 to 576 lines is possibly going to be at least as bad as scaling up and down to/from some higher resolution. How bad this is really depends how different the scalers are in the player and the projector, a mismatch here may mean that going to a higher scaled up resolution for teh transfer bvewteen the devices migth produce less visible artifacts. This certainly seem to be the case at the moment where I'm see better results using 720p output than using the (incorrect) 800x600 output...
    John.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have never seen a resolution of 580p mentioned before so don't really know what you mean by 576 active lines .. methinks I'm out of my depth. :)

6. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I think 580p and 576p get used to mean the same thing, for example my PJ reports 576p as 580p. Confusing really.

Now come on, some one out there must know how to get into the service menu's on these things, or at least know if they even exist...