1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DVD-HD850 or HD950?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by genison, May 20, 2005.

1. genison

genison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Samsung DVD-HD850 at Best Buy and so far I am pleased! However, I have not yet purchased an HDMI to DVI converter because I have a Monster DVI cable for my old HD931 and DLP Samsung TV. The though occurred to me that for a little more, I can buy the HD950 with the HDMI and DVI rather than buying an adapter. The reason I'd want to do this is twofold. An HDMI to DVI adapter could cause slight signal loss, couldn't it? Or is that just not possible since it is digital?

Secondly, although I don't plan on using SACD at all, could the HD950 be better than the HD850 for any other reason? One review said the HD950 used the DCDi upconverter where the HD850 did not.

Appreciate any thoughts!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, adapters can and do cause signal loss. Probably not an issue if the signal remains well "within tolerance", but if you are "edging" it eg with long cable runs it's certainly advantageous to avoid adapters. That's why I went for the 745 rather than the 945 ' cause it has DVI output, if I was going for one of these newer units now I'd definitely hang fire for the 950...PJ :)