1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAMSUNG DVD HD850 & HD950 upscaling players to 768p

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jrturbo, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there guys

I currently own a pioneer 435 XDE ( I have a samsung DVD HD935 on loan and i am not impressed by it ) and I am looking for a reasonably priced DVD player with HDMI output to connect to the screen which will upscale, i am unwilling to invest 800 + which is would would cost to purchase a denon 3910 or a pioneer 868 which in theory are very good players but cant justify the price they are asking for them, It would seem this leaves you the choice only of the samsung current player the HD945 or the panasonic S97 as an option.

However looking around for information on the samsung models, I have come across the PDF file of the owners handbook for the HD 850 the replacement model for the 745 and 945 which are due to be launched soon april/may. The models are DVD HD 850 and HD950 and they both incorporate a resolution that is new to me "1024 x 768p" in addition the commonly known 720p and 1080i (it would appear that the only notable difference between the 2 players is the fact that the HD950 will play DVD audio and SACD )

This resolution would match the exact resolution of the 43" pioneer screen and possibly other 42" screen from other manufacturers, so it would seem ideal to use as DVD player.

Does anyone know wether any other manufacturer is likely to introduce in the near future a DVD player that offers this facility as I don't mind waiting a couple of months to purchase one but don't wait to delay much longer than that, I beleive that LG are introducing a new player but I am not certain it will upscale to 768p.

thanks

Joe Rubido

2. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HD 745 and 945 already do 768p (1024x768). Which is perfect for a lot of LCD's whos native res is 768.
    945 is HDMI, 745 is DVI. Both also upscale in component after MR hack.

For the money nothing to touch them (yet)

3. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

just downloaded the pdf manual for the 945 and you are quite correct, I wasnt aware that the 745 and 945 upscaled to 1024 x 768p which is the native resolution of current pioneer 43" screens.

Having said this the new 950 has a wider adjustment of brightness to to improve blacks I presume and general PQ

Thanks anyway, all I have to decide is wetrher to wait for the new model or buy the 945.

Anyone out there got a 945 connected to a 435xde screen, what are your thoughts ?

thanks

Joe Rubido

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    1024*768 is a native 4:3 resolution

Steven

5. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there guys

Well there goes my idea down the shute, I didnt stop and think about that the fact that 1024*769 is 4/3 ratio.

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how does the Pioneer plasma screen screen use its native resolution of 1024*768 to display a wide screen image.

Its seems somewhat of a contradiction in terms, I appreciate that 1024*768 may be a 4/3 ratio image, but the screen itself is a wide screen format.

Would there be any advantage in using 1024*768p or should I assume that selecting that resolution I will have a 4/3 ratio image displayed with black bars at either side,and would have to use 1280*720p in order to achieve full screen image.

Maybe someone with a samsung 945 and pioneer 435 screen can confirm this.

Regards

Joe Rubido

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1024x768 is a 4:3 format if the pixels are the same size. I think the XDEs pixel are wider than they are high so 1024 is widescreen. To compensate, I would have thought they would have to take out 256 vertical lines, the difference between 1280 widescreen and the number of pixels on the XDE.

I'll be looking at them new 850 and 950 models though. Hope they don't use the Faroudja chips that are a nightmare with Macrblocking !

Richie.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Richie is correct - the pixels on the XDE are rectangular. However, 256 pixels aren't "removed" as such, the image (720, 1280 or 1980 pixels wide) is just scaled to match the 1024 pixels across the screen.

The problem with the 435XDE though is that it can't accept native resolution (1024x768) via the HDMI - only via the VGA input. So you would need to feed it 720p from the player, and then let the media box scale it up to 768p. Or just let the media box do all the scaling from 480p or 576p. Hope this helps.

Steve