• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung DVD-H1080 DIVX issues

Blumoon

Standard Member
I have bought the Samsung DVD-H1080 recently. The DVD is excellent and has a really useful function to play DIVX (avi files) from hard disk or flash memory via a USB port on the rear of the player.

I am currently busy ripping my DVD collection to my hard disk for backup and use Pavtube ripper. I use settings which produce a no quality loss avi file and the files are on average 1.5gb in size. These files play fine on my laptop via Microsoft Media Player.

However when I access the file via the DVD player the film plays very smoothly but always stops about 3/4 of the way through - very frustrating!

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm currently waiting for Samsung Support to answer this too. I hope it is just a firmware issue that will be fixed soon!

Has anybody got the DIVX player on this DVD to work - if so how are you creating the avi files?

Teks9

Standard Member
I don't have an answer for you, but since I have ordered the same player I am itnterested, is it strill possible to continue reading the divx file from the 3/4 after it has stopped?
And does this plyaer upscale the divx movies?
Thanks

Blumoon

Standard Member
No, unfortunately it is as if the player 'crops' the length of the films and it just stops 3/4s of the way through and continues onto the next film in my library.

Actual playing quality is superb smooth and clear - I have ripped at 1600 bit rate same size and aspect ratios. Not really sure what upscaling really means - all I know is that it looks great on my 32 inch panasonic viera 1080i LCD.

Blumoon

Standard Member
Right, I have just got off the phone to Samsung's customer services. They were very good. I am going to recieve a upgrade CD (which they have verified) in the post (7-10 days) - I should be able to share the disk image if it really does work!

Alpinestar

Right, I have just got off the phone to Samsung's customer services. They were very good. I am going to recieve a upgrade CD (which they have verified) in the post (7-10 days) - I should be able to share the disk image if it really does work!

Did you ever receive the upgrade cd and did it resolve your issue ??

Blumoon

Standard Member
The Samsung customer services let me down first time round - I need to get them the serial number off the player and apparently then they will send a cd... - I'll get this done on Sunday.

jaztim

There is a firmware on the website.
Problem is that it does not work......

been escalated within samsung i heard today.

Netnemo

Standard Member
Hi to all,
as I wrote in another thread I upgraded the player's firmware...:thumbsup:
BUT I'm sorry to tell to you that high bitrated divx still don't play. Almost all of my divx are over 1700 bps... so I can hear sounds, but I cannot see video, except at 2x, 4x, 8x etc.:thumbsdow
But I noticed it can read mpg video files... good... because I can convert them... I have to check if the problem is only the bitrate... maybe is something else.:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom