Samsung DVD-1080P9 - Poor performance

DarkConvict

Standard Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Samsung DVD-1080P9 Upscaling DVD Player. I know that you can only do so much when you enlarge an image but i have been testing it between my old cheap DVD player.

My old £10 ASDA DVD player seems to produce a better image over its scart connection, than this new Samsung one over HDMI. The image on the new Samsung seems to contain more digital noise, not alot but noticeable so overall seems to be of worse quality? In addition during playback there is a hissing/clicking noise which you do get, but it is louder than the cheap £10 DVD player.

I do have a Samsung B530 32" TV.

Does anyone think i may have a duff unit, or is the Samsung DVD-1080P9 just poor?

Thanks.

bonzobanana

Reminds me of when I had a Compacks DVD5000 dvd player and a Toshiba 330 dvd player. All reviews stated the Compacks would have been massacred by the Toshiba but in just about every way the Compacks was superior to the Toshiba on my setup. I don't know if it was my specific Toshiba or not but all I can say is if it doesn't work well on your setup take it back if you can. Samsung's are generally pretty good but there are loads of exceptions.

DarkConvict

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice.

I have already packaged it up, and got the return sorted. :thumbsup:

Its a same, i thought samsung would do well also.

Anyone have any tips for a quiet dvd player, with decent upscaling, or should we just skip it and get a blu-ray player and let the TV deal with the upscaling itself?

blaster9999

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice.

I have already packaged it up, and got the return sorted. :thumbsup:

Its a same, i thought samsung would do well also.

Anyone have any tips for a quiet dvd player, with decent upscaling, or should we just skip it and get a blu-ray player and let the TV deal with the upscaling itself?
not always good upscaler does make a diff i've had several gen of upscaler
blu ray and hd dvd player. My current upscaler is a tosh xde 500, pq deff better than my pvr which inputs via scart or my bdp 350 via hdmi for dvd's

DarkConvict

Standard Member
Ive read about that player, alot of reviews mention a high pitched whine and a lack of features like resume and a lack of a timer on the front. The noise it makes would be my main issue, but for a £90 player it lacks features of a far cheaper dvd player :eek:

blaster9999

Novice Member
Ive read about that player, alot of reviews mention a high pitched whine and a lack of features like resume and a lack of a timer on the front. The noise it makes would be my main issue, but for a £90 player it lacks features of a far cheaper dvd player :eek:
I may be getting old but i've never heard it whine :confused:
( and I'm someone who bought a 4 mt hdmi cable so I could watch films without hearing the fan kicking in on my PS3 by putting it in another room, thank god for a bluetooth remote)

As for lack of function?. times (there is a button on the remote which gives alot more info) if its usb then I don't miss it, Tv got them and can playback divx direct so not an issue, (not that I ever do ) what you do get is a darn good upscaler
with damn good PQ:smashin:

and I didn't pay 90 quid, £60 with a year free love film :smashin:

DarkConvict

Standard Member
£55 used is the best i have found that for so far.
Then its about £80+ for a new one.

I may just hang my head and wait for a reduction in cost of BluRay Players.

blaster9999

Novice Member
£55 used is the best i have found that for so far.
Then its about £80+ for a new one.

I may just hang my head and wait for a reduction in cost of BluRay Players.
Well the xde 600 about to be launched, expect xde500 to get cheaper. . As for blu rays as upscalers some are better than others. My bpd350 pq for blu is excell and matches my ps3, but as a dvd upscaler, not a patch on xde 500, or even the ps3.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom