Samsung DVD-1080P8

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nevermore80, Jan 29, 2009.

1. nevermore80

nevermore80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last Samsung budget DVD upsclaer (Samsung DVD-HD870) got some pretty good reveiws but now seems to be discontinued...

Does anyone own the Samsung DVD-1080P8 or know of any reviews of it? Is it as good as the HD870 was meant to be?

Also, how does it compare to the Sony DVP NS708 and the Panasonic DVD-S54? ... I'm after a budget DVD upscaler (£50-£70) with resume play (therefore, unfortunatly not the toshiba xd-e500 - call me fussy if you like :)). Ideally id like the Panasonioc to go with my Panasonic TH-37PX80BA - but it seems to get the worse reveiws... would i notice the difference? Even if im letting the TV do the upscaling?

Any info would be much appriciated!

2. maris_

maris_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Both, Samsung and Sony, are Zoran V8/V9 players and should have comparable video perfomance. Some reports state that the Sony has some problems with pan jitter in case of swift camera moves. Deinterlacer and scaler of the Panasonic should be slightly better than those of the Zoran players. Another advantage of the Panasonic is the implemented film mode / video mode switch allowing to switch of manually deinterlacing in case of DVDs with wrong flags (which almost seems to be the rule rather than the exception).

With best regards, maris