Samsung DVD 1080p Firmware (Europe) Need help to Install

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xma1e, Sep 19, 2007.

1. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have just purchased a Samsung DVD-1080p7 DVD Player and find that the picture is slightly out of sync. When people talk fast, the sound is a fraction of a second behind the image. When I play the DVD on my PC, lip sync is ok (using the same LCD TV but different connections)

I want to check to see if my Samsung has the latest Firmware and the only way I can see to do that is to put the firmware upgrade CD in. I've tried downloading it from the the UK site but I can't get it to read the disk. Here is what I do using Nero:

1. Download from Samsung
    2. Unzip 2 files
    3. Copy both files to CD-R and burn at x8, ISO 9660, No multi session.

I've also tried using various programs to try and burn the "BUILD.IMG" file as if it was an ISO, but this gives various file format errors int he program.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Xma1e

2. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    you just need to copy the 2 files to the disk not as iso image, I think the player is a bit picky with disc's I have the same film on 2 makes of disc and one flatly refuses to read, can't remember now if I did the firmware disc with Nero or with a proggy called image tool burn.

Curly

3. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Curly

Thanks for the response. I have been trying to do that to no avail. Not sure if it's worth purchasing other blank disks.

I tried talking to Samsung UK Support and they tell me to open the IMG file in Nero, but Nero doesn't like the file. I also tried ISOMagic, which also fails to open the file.

I spoke to Samsung again and all they can say is speak to Microsoft about why Windows doesn't read the IMG format.

Unfortuanly he wasn't very helpful.

Xma1e

4. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    you don't need to open any files you just need a blank disc and you copy over the "BUILD.IMG" and the "UPDATE.VER" files to it using these options:

1. Multisession - No Multisession
    2. Character set : ISO9660 or Joliet Format
    3. Finalize & Disc at once

Curly

6. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Curly

Tried that too to no avail. To rule out the discs I was using, I wrote a few Divx files to disc which the DVD player was able to playback.

Is there a way of founding out what firmware I have without trying to use the firmware upgrade?

Xma1e

7. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I'm not sure if or how you can, if you are really stuck I can find the disc I made and post it, pm me a name address to send it too and I'll try to get the disc sent before the weekend.

Curly

quick tip time, it always handy to have a few RW discs to save on wasting normal disc's ;) :)

8. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Follwing your instructions, when I put the CD in the player I get the title screen which would normally list the DIVX or MP3 files, but it does not display the Build screen discribed on the samsung website. It does look like I have to creat a disc from the BUILD.IMG file

9. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    no.... you just copy over the "BUILD.IMG" and the "UPDATE.VER" files to a blank cd.

Curly

10. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, didn't make myself very clear.

Yes, copied the files onto a cd. When I put it into the DVD player it did not come up with a screen for the upgrade process, I just had the movie/mp3 file browser with no files (it didn't see the build.img or update.ver).

;-)

11. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...ps. also did the same on a RW DVD (burnt too many CDs today. lol!)

12. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news!

I copied the 2 files onto a CD-R disc (did not like DVD-R or -RW).
    With Nero selected the followign options:
    no multisession, ISO 9600 Only. Unchecked all boxes in ISO TAB, BURN TAB=Disk at once/96.

I think it was the last option that helped.

Thanks Curly, you should work for Samsung, they wanted me to open the IMG file and burn it as if it was an IMG, when Nero and Magic ISO failed to open it, they wanted me to call Microsoft Support.

13. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the icing on the cake is that the multi-region codes I found elsewhere in this forum works with the new firmware! I'm one happy bunny!

* turn on dvd player
    * make sure there's no dvd in closed tray
    * press 'repeat' button
    * 'no disc' disappears in left corner
    * 57538 if you have a R2 player
    * current region code is visible in left corner
    * press 9 for code free
    * press 'Standby'

14. Masterflash

Masterflash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi xma1e,
    you haven't said if the lip sync has been cured as this was your underlying problem aside from not being able to execute the firmware. :smashin:

15. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Nah they couldn't pay me enough ;) :)
    anyway glad it worked, did it fix the problem?

Curly

16. brandondanger

brandondanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi curly. dont mean to crash the thread but i was wondering if you managed to find out the firmware upgrade disc you said you might be able to post to the op... its a bit cheaky i know but if i sent you a blank disc and a prepaid envelope think it would be poss for you to forward me the firmware disc please..? ill send it back of course, only im a bit of a numpty when it comes to burning discs etc... :lease:

17. xma1e

xma1e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

After all that, I decided to take the Samsung back because the lipsync problem was still there. I replaced it with a Cambridge Audio DVD86. Unfortunatly, even though the CA DVD86 has a much better picture than the "Cheap as Chips" Samsung, it still suffers from the lipsynch problem. I am sure that both DVD players are playing back at a few frames faster the 24fps.

I've finally decided to call it quits and link my PC up to the LCD TV, this is much better and plays back at the correct frame rate. Films pan left to right at the correct speed, and lips sync.

Anyone looking at purchasing a DVD player for use with an LCD TV should test it with several films first before walking out of the shop, I wish I did.