Samsung Drop the Ball ?

Delta38

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been a Loyal Samsung owner for a few years now , More than happy with my TV and Tablet.
Don't get me Wrong but it seems that Samsung Keep making Bad Choices ?
The Latest is with the New Phones Galaxy S21 , the Specs look nice but No SD Card , It is the one thing that people Need.
I for one do not like to pay for Cloud based rubbish , Id prefer an Micro SD Card.
The next is the Upgrade from the Q90 Sound Bar , They replaced it with a Model that is Covered with Cloth , Not Metal easily marked or Broken.
They Have gone from Next Gen Tech Panels made by Samsung Panels after investing Billions to outsourcing Cheap Chinese Rubbish.
We are not ready for 8k yet , It's Expensive , You need to have a Large Panel to see the Benefits , There is No Content available , The File sizes
for Movies are Huge even with the New H266 file Codecs.
The cost for a 4k UHD TV in a typical 55" is affordable now , But a 8k is right out of the reach of most People.
Give it another Five Years , We might even see some Movies in 8k , But as Technology Changes so do Connections.
At present The HDMI 2.1 standard has thrown a Spanner in the works of the New Games Consoles.
If a 12 Bit Panel with 68 Billion Colours and 10,000 Nits came out in a 4k Panel that would be better than a 8k TV.
Luminescence is how Bright a TV gets , and we are sitting around 1,000 Nits right now in 10 Bit Colour.
So to rush out and Buy a 8k TV will not Guarantee Future Proof due to any new Standard or Plug.
I bought one of the Second Gen Plasma's it only Had RCA connections , No HDMI and ran Hot and was Laggy Slow response Time.
Samsung need to pull a Rabbit out of their Hats if they want to stay on top , A lot of Good Business have gone under for far less.

Possibly unrelated but Samsung seem to be havi g some legal leadership issues

Not sure it's entirely related but I'd say a defenitely a distraction for the company.

So you would rather trust your data to a 1sqcm memory card that can fail (and they do) or get lost rather than to a branded cloud service that guarantees data security - not sure what you mean by 'cloud based rubbish'. Good luck with that.

It is not so much that Samsung are making bad choices, rather they are not making the choices you want. Samsung follow the market and maintain their position by ensuring they are meeting, and beating where they can, their competitors. If they have removed the SD card expansion from their phones it is because memory has become cheap and phones now have more installed memory (Galaxy S21 options are 128, 256, 512GB - more than enough for most people) than ever and the market is not clamouring for expansion - maybe because the market direction is toward cloud services.

8K TVs are just testing the market, common sense would be to wait and see how that settles and if there is going to be 8K content. It hasn't stopped the production of 4K so you still have that option

Samsung removed the SD card support from the S6 line and then brought it back after a lot of complaints. Let's see what will happen with this move.
They have removed the SD card expansion from the S21 line to up-sell users to higher storage options, which generate more profit for them - just like Apple do. They removed the 3.5mm headphone port from the high end devices to up-sell Bluetooth options - just like Apple do. You can buy Samsung phones with SD card support and 3.5mm ports (so more and better features) in the mid and low ranges. The A71 comes with 128gb of storage built in, just like the S21. Why does it qualify for better features then?

So they haven't dropped the ball, they are following market trends and acting like a free market manufacturer according to your post. You are not required to buy Samsung's bluetooth headphones - there are thousands of other makes and they make phones with the options you need - what's the problem?

Personally I also hate the "install £10 worth of memory, increase the price by £100" business model.
Also made famous by apple.
My guess is it will just open the door for one of the upcoming manufacturers.
Have always had Samsung phones, this is the first year I havent upgraded. Mainly due to the headphone jack missing.
Now they are taking away sd card options as well I think ill wait for the new king of the android hill before I do

I've always been of the same mind and didn't like the lack of SD or Headphone ports.

However on my previous phone I found I didn't use the space as I'd finally got a phone with enough space built in. It's also inconvenient to use for backup purposes as it was so hard to remove.

I've since bought one of these USB memory sticks with both USB A and C plugs that just plugs straight in to the USB C port.

Amazon product ASIN B010HWCFDA
I've also got ever the headphones thing, I was disappointed I couldn't use my decentish Sennheiser in ears but honestly my Cambridge Audio Melamania headphones are so convenient and sound better than my wired ones. I've also got a direct USBC to 3.5mm cable that I can use with my over ear BT cans

I get that and I've been looking at ca buds too, just waiting for them to be reliable on the new model.
Its more the principal of it that I don't like with the memory thing.
There should be no more than £50 difference between the larger memory options. And that in most cases would still be a massive mark up. £100 is just plain taking the p!$$

I get that and I've been looking at ca buds too, just waiting for them to be reliable on the new model.
Its more the principal of it that I don't like with the memory thing.
There should be no more than £50 difference between the larger memory options. And that in most cases would still be a massive mark up. £100 is just plain taking the p!$$
100% agreed

I'm now just mildly irritated by the lack of ports and slots as I've learned to accept it and work with it.

£100 is indeed taking the piss (I also think they'd probably just add £50 to the smaller size to give the impression of a smaller cost)

Have been a Loyal Samsung owner for a few years now , More than happy with my TV and Tablet.
Don't get me Wrong but it seems that Samsung Keep making Bad Choices ?
The Latest is with the New Phones Galaxy S21 , the Specs look nice but No SD Card , It is the one thing that people Need.
I for one do not like to pay for Cloud based rubbish , Id prefer an Micro SD Card.
The next is the Upgrade from the Q90 Sound Bar , They replaced it with a Model that is Covered with Cloth , Not Metal easily marked or Broken.
They Have gone from Next Gen Tech Panels made by Samsung Panels after investing Billions to outsourcing Cheap Chinese Rubbish.
We are not ready for 8k yet , It's Expensive , You need to have a Large Panel to see the Benefits , There is No Content available , The File sizes
for Movies are Huge even with the New H266 file Codecs.
The cost for a 4k UHD TV in a typical 55" is affordable now , But a 8k is right out of the reach of most People.
Give it another Five Years , We might even see some Movies in 8k , But as Technology Changes so do Connections.
At present The HDMI 2.1 standard has thrown a Spanner in the works of the New Games Consoles.
If a 12 Bit Panel with 68 Billion Colours and 10,000 Nits came out in a 4k Panel that would be better than a 8k TV.
Luminescence is how Bright a TV gets , and we are sitting around 1,000 Nits right now in 10 Bit Colour.
So to rush out and Buy a 8k TV will not Guarantee Future Proof due to any new Standard or Plug.
I bought one of the Second Gen Plasma's it only Had RCA connections , No HDMI and ran Hot and was Laggy Slow response Time.
Samsung need to pull a Rabbit out of their Hats if they want to stay on top , A lot of Good Business have gone under for far less.
I am not sure ‘IMHO’ trumps The Leadership knowledge of a $200 Bn South Korean Blue Chip Company

Samsung removed the SD card support from the S6 line and then brought it back after a lot of complaints. Let's see what will happen with this move.
They have removed the SD card expansion from the S21 line to up-sell users to higher storage options, which generate more profit for them - just like Apple do. They removed the 3.5mm headphone port from the high end devices to up-sell Bluetooth options - just like Apple do.
Absolutely. I wish Samsung would stop trying to be Apple. I have bought Samsung products because they're not Apple, and think that Apple is great at marketing but isn't a company I would ever buy anything from. I bought a Samsung S20 last year mainly because of the flexible camera and still wonder if I'd have been better off with the cheaper OnePlus alternative.

So, basically Apple then?
Yes. They mock Apple - remember and advert for the S5 where a guy is an an airport and everyone else is tethered to a charging lead with their iPhones but he as a Samsung S5 and he can just swap the battery and is good to go? They did something similar with the 3.5mm headphone port.

At least Apple set out mediocre and didn't change - well except for the 3.5mm headphone port. So that analagy is wrong. Maybe it should be "Apple, we only got a little bit shitter".

Yes. They mock Apple - remember and advert for the S5 where a guy is an an airport and everyone else is tethered to a charging lead with their iPhones but he as a Samsung S5 and he can just swap the battery and is good to go? They did something similar with the 3.5mm headphone port.

At least Apple set out mediocre and didn't change - well except for the 3.5mm headphone port. So that analagy is wrong. Maybe it should be "Apple, we only got a little bit sh*tter".
I think Apple still sets the tone for most other manufactures to follow. It is a shame that whilst previously it was set on the basis of tech advances, it is now mostly reliant on people who simply don't want to switch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom