Samsung Drive Reliability

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mattclarkie, Jan 30, 2009.

?
  1. My Samsungs are great.

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. My Samsungs have failed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My F1 1TB is great.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. My F1 1TB has failed.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    I'm not trolling I promise.

I've done a forum search, and in fact a general google and I am getting mixed reports so I wanted to see what the forum thought.

Now I personally like Samsung drives, I have used many and never had a problem, but the F1 1TB in my NAS has just died (incredibly loud grinding on start-up and no longer recognised by BIOS), after only 4months or semi-regular use. A quick google seems to show that the F1 isn't very reliable, but others seem to say they are the best drives and have one numerous awards.

I wanted to know whether Samsungs now suffer from issues of reliability, the last thing I want is to RMA the F1 and get another one that will fail so catastrophically, I have back-ups, but I would sooner choose another brand for the replacement than get another Sammy if that will fail.

I don't mind if you say that Samsungs are great or unreliable, I just want to gauge whether it is worth risking a like for like replacement.

If you have an F1 1TB that has failed or served you well that would be really useful. I'm thinking there is a bad batch of the 1TB floating around and I was unlucky to get one.

2. forsaken991

forsaken991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my F1 1TB last September and havent had a problem with it (touch wood). Was just thinking about buying another one actually :)

3. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I had 2 1TB F1s die in my NAS at the same time, around October last year. I suspect, because I bought them at the same time, they were from the same batch.

Got them RMA'd within 5 days, replacements have been fine for a few months now.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The volumes of this model sold are immense. I have never seen a more advertised HD. Ebuyer stock levels indicate they likely ship a thousand a week. You will undoubtedly see more failures.

MattClarke - what NAS were you using?

I have 3 Samsung 1TBs...
    1 in a dock
    2 in Linkstation Lives
    All currently working fine for the last few months - still early days I guess.

Regardless of manufacturer I don't trust any of them. Every brand I have had has at least had one failure...

Hitachi x 1
    Maxtor x 2
    Samsung x 1

But then I have had over a dozen Samsungs running in XBOXs, Sky+ boxes, Netgear Toasters (SC101s). So as a brand goes the Samsung has been the most reliable for me.

5. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    I built it myself and run FreeNAS.

I did have a 500GB and a 1TB Samsung in it, the 500GB seems to be fine at the moment, I think the motor has gone in the 1TB, just bad luck I guess, with the number of HDDs I've had this is actually the first one I've ever had fail, although I've had drives come close.

I guess I'll ask ebuyer for a straight swap, and hopefully I wont have another failure.

6. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi,

Running 6 of these drives in a RAID 5 array, no problems at all with mine, running since last October (initially started with 3 purchased in September, then added 3 more in November), and I've had no problems.

I also have 3 of their Spinpoint 250Gb drive which I'm using as boot drives in my server, HTPC and Windows MCE, and these have worked faultlessly for the last 3 years, so right now I have nothing but good things to say about Samsung drives. they are also fast, economic to purchase, run cool and seem to use very little power, making them ideal for use in a domestic setting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave