1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DLP 50" and PS2 Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by carlstewart, Jun 23, 2005.

1. carlstewart

carlstewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Sammy DLP 50" a few days ago and the picture quality is excellent - apart from when I connect my PS2 - it just doesn't look right, alot of motion blur etc etc. Anyone know how to rectify this, or know of any settings to play around with that may help??

My ps2 is connected via RCA (Red,White and yellow plugs) via a scart connector/adaptor - I tried going directly in with the RCA's but picture is exactly the same??

I appreciate any feedback.

Carl

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    the ps2 is a old console now and not the best ! i get a few blurs on pro evo but thats the console. my xbox is fine. also depends on the games etc.

3. carlstewart

carlstewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for that!

4. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's your problem. The RCA connection is still composite video, whether you feed it into a scart convertor or not. You need to buy a PS2 RGB Scart lead, and you will see a big improvement in image quality.

5. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    logan i have my ps2 connected via rgb scart. Still there is a slight motion blur. Its the way the ps2 is. On a small screen u will not notice it. Ps2 technology is quite old now. My xbox is fine however. U will see improvement in quality but will not totaly eliminate the motion blur im afraid. But get the rgb lead tho.

6. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rgb scart will not solve your problem Im afraid, I have tested the ps2 thru rgb and component and imho both suck..
    See the problem lies with the fact that roughly all but I think 5 or so games are interlaced on the ps2, and the way dlp works it seems to me that if it isnt progressive it sucks, see whatever trickery the dlp's proprietry chips perform dnr dine etc, it doesnt seem to be able to make anything interlaced look even remotely sharp or detailed, also dlp and lcd displays have response time problems with pixel shifting quicklyon games like pro ev fifa etc, whereas crt tv's are imho are splendidly fine for interlaced console games.

See crt technology by design has mostly always been displayed interlaced till recent crt projectors came along, thereby hiding texture detail and even disguising jagged wireframe edges on 3d models et al, also the ps2's lack of video ram forces devolopers to reduce to rendering low resolution textures lacking pixel shading and realtime lighting which the ps2 gpu cannot do.

Topped off with very rarely any decent aa oh and no anisotropic filtering, put simply the ps2 is one ugly texture mapping monster! and I should know Ive had 3.
    And yes Ive played gt4 at 1080i and it aint no doom 3!
    p.s. the ps2's colour bit presicion seems to suck aswell.. must be all that dire compression.

7. carlstewart

carlstewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what you are saying is - Wait for PS3 or buy an Xbox or Xbox360 when out?!

Damn it! Do you think that buying the RGB scart will not make a difference then?

8. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Put simply the ps2's lack of games that support progressive scan coupled with the fact that the ps2 jus cant do nice lookin texture maps sux big time!
    I tried my gamecube with res4 on progressive and rgb las night and I was very dissapointed the lack of any decent anti aliasing, horrible missing vertical lines.. and ugly brown colourless textures.

for me the xbox just about gets away with 480p due to the direct x8 features of the nvidia gpu.. pixel shading good colour presicion on games outrun 2 conkers bad fur day spring to mind, help disguise the consoles low resolution. I mean think about it most console games use only half the dlp's mirrors!

To sum it up.. hook up a pc via dvi-hdmi and crank up your graphics cards aniso and anti aliasing, and wait 4 the ps3 or xbox 360.