1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung details 8K AI Scaling Technology

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,356
    2. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 15
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    3. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,278
      Of the 4 main manufacturers, Samsung really looked to come out fighting with the MicroLED Wall and the Q9s. Personally the 8k screen seems overkill - especially as it probably won't be able to play 8k content via HDMI.

I know its also an LCD TV but if it does have 10000 zones (the 100" ZD9 has 1000zones and regarded as the 'best' for HDR), 4000nits, 100% DCI-P3, Game VRR with 15ms input lag, eARC, then I would be seriously interested. I would hope they bring a 4k version out as I can see 8k costing too much for something that may not be overly useful.

It will be interesting to see how it copes with a DVD or freeview SD channel. Full HD would need to be upscaled by a similar amount as SD is on a 4k screen so SD is a mammoth task. Full HD can fit 16 images on one 8K screen!!

4. boyarin

boyarin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Right thing that they are thinking about the future but... 4k era is still skidding.
      I hope a lot that 2019 will be a better year for the vitally needed features will be in every top TV.

5. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,278
      If they were really thinking of the future, then this should have HDMI2.1 - especially with an 8k screen. Hopefully they build it to be upgraded fully to 2.1 as and when but without it, they will struggle to bring 8k via HDMI so only streaming. It kind of reminds me of the HU 4k series, too early for 4k as it only had 2.0 ports and required a SEK just to get 2.0a and HDCP2.2 support on more than just the MHL port.

I know its got a lot of the features of 2.1 but if it can't deliver 8k via HDMI, then its still limited for future use - unless all 8k content is delivered via in-built Streaming. Samsung seems reluctant to support 'streaming' apps beyond a year or 2 - look at iPlayer - not even 4k, let alone UHD on 2016 and older Samsung TV's!

6. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +260
      Come on Samsung, just show us what you have to offer in 2018 with 4K panels, instead of headline grabbing nonsense that no one will seriously buy.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +439
      Hi

Yes very much headline grabbing and the only people to buy one will be those people who have tonnes of cash to have one for the bragging rights or for niche cases.

As for getting 8K out of lower resolution inputs it's all snake oil, you can't create something that wasn't there in the first place.

Basically the TV runs some sort of algorithm over each frame and tries to identify the best resizing method and what edge or contrast enhancement to apply. It can't do this on a scene by scene basis either, as it would need to see the whole scene first then decide what works best, otherwise it would be running with a picture delay of up to many minutes whilst it views the whole scene, so that is clearly stuff of PR.

Samsung can't even get their motion interpolation working reliably on their current TVs, with odd judders and the occasionally white frame showing up, so good luck to them getting all this "AI" stuff working.

Regards

Phil

8. AndretheTVguy

AndretheTVguy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45

I wont be the 8K that makes it cost the MEGA BUCKS it will its the 10,000 Zones of Local dimming behind the screen so even if built in 4K it would still effectively the same price to manufacture and sell.

I agree less of this headline grabbing crap. Samsung are basically releasing these first so that people will think their consumer 'Q' LED range of edge lit VA panels look better, when in reality they wil be slight upgrades t last year and still miles behind OLED

9. Daz1969

Daz1969

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +63
      I'll never buy another samsung set after my last one developed a terrible pink banding that they refused to fix. My current LG has been flawless, however i have as yet not seen anything in the pipeline to make me think wow i MUST have one of them. Guess i'll wait a couple of years to let the 4k dust settle or die as the case may be.

10. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +507
      Let me guess - 16K panels will be announced at CES 2019. Why can't manufacturers get current technology right first i.e HDR 10, HDR 10+, DV, HLG, HFR etc!
      Must go down the bookies and have a " Leicester " bet.

11. AndretheTVguy

AndretheTVguy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      Thats the result of a very competitive Market. 4 Big players and when the BIG BIG 2 Samsung and LG cant beat the legacy 2 Panasonic and Sony when it comes to to picture they turn to marketing buzz and 'End game' future concepts to sell.

LG at least seem to be trying to perfect 'the now'

Samsung haven't had a best in class TV for 4 Years! with Sony, Panasonic and LG Sharing all these Awards

12. RMP888

RMP888

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I can imagine that a 8k screen would be good to for showing photos.