• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung D900 - The Good and The Bad.

hot-fuzz

Banned
Hello,
I know there are a couple of threads on the D900, but i dont think this phone is discussed enough.
I have gone from the Sony Ericsson W810i and im kind of regretting changing.

Whilst the D900 is a bloody gorgeous looking phone and i like the sliding phone now it has too many "working" issues.

For example :

1. T9 dictionary doesnt remember most used words, so you have to change them EVERY time you type it. The SE W810i did

2. When you scroll back to a word, you cant edit it, you have to delete the whole word then re-type it (as for words thast use the same keys (e.g gone + home)The SE W810i did

3. You cant change the SMS tone The SE W810i you can

4. when you are in the process of sending a text and slide the phone shut it cancels the sending then saves it in drafts !!!! Then when you make the slider do nothing when you close it (one of the settings) the phone stays unlocked until you open it and close it again.

5. You need to keep the camera still for about 3 seconds if you take a picture. No the case with the SE W810i

6. When you want to send a text you have to go into the list of contacts to add someone instead of having a list of recently sent people (there is an option on the D900, but it tkaes longer to get too !!!!!!!!)No the case with the SE W810i

So im thinking, i know the above are small annoyances, but they are starting to grip me (especially No.1) and i am thinking of going back to the SE W810i or even the K800i (though i dont like the idea of the nipple, easy to break ??).
BUT, the Samsung D900 is such a good looking phone. It has a wonderful screen and the menu is excellent along with call quality.

Whats anyone thoughts on it.

D900 all the way and get used to it, or K800i/W810i ?????

:thumbsup:

tbourner

Standard Member
I'm getting a D900 hopefully this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a D600 at the mo though which has very similar problems. I HATED it when I first got (from a Nokia 6230), and wanted to get another Nokia. This year there again aren't any that I like (except too expensive N-series) so I'm going for the D900 - mainly because the little issues are not that important too me any more, I've got used to the problems and found my own little ways around them. The only issue with it now is that the battery goes flat after about 20 minutes of playing any kind of music - so I have to have it on silent ALL the time!!! I'm guessing the D900 will be the same. :(

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I think the "Niggles" you have are pretty much the same as most people have when they change from one brand of phone to another. Give it time and you'll forget about them. you'll probably even find some things that you prefer the way the Samsung does to the Sony

some manafacturers just do some things differently

Now if you'd moved to a Motorola you'd be having real problems :smashin:

hot-fuzz

Banned
Sorry, thought i would give the D900 another go and thought i would stick with it ...... 10 minutes later im on the phone to Orange and now ...

K800i is in the post.

Just got too fed up with it. Im sure if you havent tried a SE before then it will be fine, but the SE software is SOOOOOO much more user orientated.
Changing SMS is a very underated function, being able to change a word, list of contacts all adds up and the D900 is just too infuriating. Camera is terrible (couldnt get 1 decent picture of a slowly moving image)

Trouble is, it is a very good looking phone and i love the sliding (if it had a combination of sending tesxts + keypad lock, which it doesnt).

I used to be a very steadfast Nokia man, but now i dont think i will touch anything other than SE until i can propery test another make.

I thought about the N73, but for someone who just wants to take photos and send them, text and make calls the N73 is like having an Xbox 360 just for a DVD player.

M

milesoneill

Ok, this is a reply to an old thread, but some of these issues bug me still and I was wondering if anyone has discovered a solution to them:

from list above -
1. T9 dictionary doesnt remember most used words, so you have to change them EVERY time you type it. I add the words to dictionary, but it still defaults to the T9 word first (eg, "Newcartle" (is that a word!??!), then change to "Newcastle")

2. When you scroll back to a word, you cant edit it, you have to delete the whole word then re-type it (as for words thast use the same keys (e.g gone + home) This is still my biggest gripe with the D900, anyone have a solution please!!

4. when you are in the process of sending a text and slide the phone shut it cancels the sending then saves it in drafts !!!! The message DOES send, it just also saves a copy in draft. Would prefer to have it saved in sent items, but I can't figure out how to do this without hitting "send & save" for every message

5. You need to keep the camera still for about 3 seconds if you take a picture. Yeah, it's pretty slow, I have lots of blurry photos of the ground/sky/shoes/etc!!

6. When you want to send a text you have to go into the list of contacts to add someone instead of having a list of recently sent people (there is an option on the D900, but it tkaes longer to get too !!!!!!!!)Bugs me too. What also bugs me is when you select a recipient, you see their number in the list, instead of their name. But if you move down to add another recipient, the first recipients number reverts to the persons name.

If it weren't for these little niggles this phone would get top marks from me.

Miles.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom