Samsung D8000 plasma *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Is there going to be a 59" D8000 Plasma in the UK? Samsung finally updated their website showing the 64"version but I think that is about it?

Suave!

spanky2k

Wow, been away from the forum for a few days enjoying my TV so much and this thread has now split to a second one. A far cry from the first few pages when I was desperate for info and no one was posting!!!

The way I look at it my HD DVD DVD player makes an audible noise, so does my Tivo, my BD player, my wii, Ps3 and Xbox. Does the buzz sound louder than these, probably not, so why let it bother you.
Mine doesn't have any buzz as far as I can tell.

RussKingUK

Standard Member
Smurfin, somebody over on the us forums seems to think they have managed to resolve the brightness pops (albeit on the D550) simply with settings. Take a look at this...

Yoeddy1 said:
Ok, I normally wouldn't admit this, but I am really enjoying my TV with minimal changes to the settings. I think I may have figured out the brightness pop thing...in my case anyway. Give this a try guys as a starting point by setting everything to default and making changes as I have noted below:

Blu-ray (Pioneer Elite BD-05FD 1080p/24Hz) Input:

TV Settings:
System Settings/Eco Solution: Everything Off
System Settings/General: Game Mode Off
System Settings/Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Off
Picture/Picture Mode: Movie
Picture/Picture Options: Color Tone:Warm 2/Digital Noise Filter:Auto/MPEG Noise Filter:Auto/Film Mode:Cinema Smooth

Satellite(Directv) Input:

TV Settings:
System Settings/General: Game Mode Off
Picture/Picture Mode: Movie
Picture/Picture Options: Color Tone:Warm 2/Digital Noise Filter:Auto/MPEG Noise Filter:Auto/Film Mode:Auto 2

Game(XBox 360) Input:

TV Settings:
System Settings/General: Game Mode On
Picture/Picture Mode: Standard
Picture/Picture Options: Color Tone:Standard/Digital Noise Filter:Auto/MPEG Noise Filter:Auto/HDMI Black Level:Low/Film Mode:Off

I would be curious to hear if these settings are mirrored by anyone else, if you see the black level pops any longer. I don't. YMMV.

Thanks,
Jason

Herbiefish

Buzz is definitely louder than any other av/gaming equipment I have. I can't notice it if the volume is set past about 10 which is fine because I don't normally have it that low, it's just really late at night I may be watching the golf or something and will be able to hear the buzz I'd the volume is low.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Russ

The only thing is - he says he's selecting Film Mode: auto 2, but this is blanked out on anything other than BluRay for me? :confused: hmmm methinks I need to investigate further!

Cheers
Matt

Mrb1972

Russ

The only thing is - he says he's selecting Film Mode: auto 2, but this is blanked out on anything other than BluRay for me? :confused: hmmm methinks I need to investigate further!

Cheers
Matt
It shouldnt be greyed out for sky HD, its not on my sammy anyway

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Ooo might be the last problem solved for me then! Will give it a try later.

I've watched about 5 hours of sky now - basically the Apprentice and the You're Fired! program in HD - in 5 hours I think I spotted 2 flucs, but this is with fast scene transitions so I'm not 100% sure (and it didn't really annoy me either). It's more if there's a fluc in a single scene with no camera cuts where it becomes obvious.

WATTS

Just taken delivery of my third C7000 stand to fit on my D8000. Finally at last this one is not damaged so I will be fitting it on tonight and will post pictures later...

I can finally say goodbye to the old one and I reckon it should look spot on with the silver bezel matching the base. Not only that but it has a lower profile I think which means less clearance from unit to TV which hides the wires and other stuff behind the TV nicely!! ;)

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
Just taken delivery of my third C7000 stand to fit on my D8000. Finally at last this one is not damaged so I will be fitting it on tonight and will post pictures later...

I can finally say goodbye to the old one and I reckon it should look spot on with the silver bezel matching the base. Not only that but it has a lower profile I think which means less clearance from unit to TV which hides the wires and other stuff behind the TV nicely!! ;)
quick question for those who have come to the D8000 from the C7000 is the mounting plate the same.

My C7000 was wall mounted and i am hoping just to be able to remove the 2 metal hangers on the back of the C7000 and stick those on the D8000 and put it on my existing slim vesa wall mount. I am trying to find out if the mounting holes are in the same location on the back of the 2 tv's

also will the clearance if mounted on the same mount be the same at the bottom of the screen to a mantle below.

Basically i have my current 63C7000 mounted above a center speaker on my fireplace. there is a one cm gap between the bottom of the frame and the top of speaker.

what i need to know is will i simply be able to remove the old TV and simply put the new one in its place and still have the same clearance for the center speaker - i really do not want to have to remove the mount from my wall and re-drill etc.

Last edited:

Steve Zodiac

The mounting points are the same and the bottom edge of the 'D' range TV will end up about 20mm higher than that of the 'C' range model.,

spanky2k

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Samsung now. Why haven't they released the 3D starter kit for the 2011 models yet?? I really want to watch Megamind and all the Shrek films in 3D but despite them being Samsung exclusives, I have no way of watching them. I'd happily buy a starter kit with another pair of glasses but for some inane reason Samsung still haven't released it. I've just been on the phone to Samsung and the lady I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I said "3D starter kit" although after going off to speak to her manager she said that it will be released in June or July. :(

peedroo

Novice Member
First I want to thank Smurfin and WATTS for both your answers.

Today I finally saw a 64D8000. I liked "almost" everything.

Here in Portugal the price difference between the Samsung 64D8000 and the 65VT30 from Panasonic it´s quite high (comparing with the price of these sets in the US). Just for record the Samsung 64D8000 it´s priced at 2650 Euro and the 65VT30 3400 Euro (best prices available now). So we are talking about 750 Euro difference (ok the Pana brings glasses)..but, if I want to buy the 65VT30 it must justify 750 euro more on picture quality also.

I saw the 64D8000 and the 50VT30 side by side. Overall I liked them both

What I didn´t like at all was the motion in the Samsung.
It was playing Gulliver´s Travels from Bluray do the Samsung at 1080p/24Hz. The motion was not smooth at all…with judder effect

I selected the Cinema mode, and activated also CinemaSmooth, but it didn´t made much difference…only on the black level and more natural colors.
All the rest I switch off (like noise reductions, eco modes etc... )

Was I doing something wrong? Can you give me suggestions? Or does this display have problems with motion/judder?
The 50VT30 didn´t have that kind of motion problems, and IFC was off.

Motion is a critical factor for me because I have two Panasonics, the 50PV500 and 50PX70, still working, excellent picture but with LOTS of stuttering...
On them I understand because they are old and do not support 24Hz inputs, but on these new sets I thought that the question of motion smooth was not a problem…

I would like to go back to the store but with some advices from you guys because you both have the model I want. If the error was because I made something wrong, then I would buy the Samsung and not the Panna because the black level performance was very good on both as well as was the contrast and colors, which means it doesn´t justify 700 euros more (that´s my opinion). But if not....if motion is a problem with 24hz input on the samsung, then i would have to go to the Pana..
Thanks again for all
Pedro

Last edited:

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
whats the 2D - 3D convertor like on this model. Is it better than last years convertor which i found to be quite useful.

barryd

sunshine willy

sorry for late reply but i just asked about the 64" in richer sounds and said that i heard that had price matched with robertwhyte in the edinburough branch so he rang them and gave me the price of £2500 for tv plus £250 for 5yr garranty and £20 delivery. but no glasses he seemed to think.

andreasorfanos

Standard Member
hi guys
what is the model number of the slim wall mount used for the 51" plasma d8000?

also has anyone got any words of wisdom that might help me choose between the plasma 51" d8000 and the led 55" d8000?

Thanks guys

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
First I want to thank Smurfin and WATTS for both your answers.

Today I finally saw a 64D8000. I liked "almost" everything.

Here in Portugal the price difference between the Samsung 64D8000 and the 65VT30 from Panasonic it´s quite high (comparing with the price of these sets in the US). Just for record the Samsung 64D8000 it´s priced at 2650 Euro and the 65VT30 3400 Euro (best prices available now). So we are talking about 750 Euro difference (ok the Pana brings glasses)..but, if I want to buy the 65VT30 it must justify 750 euro more on picture quality also.

I saw the 64D8000 and the 50VT30 side by side. Overall I liked them both

What I didn´t like at all was the motion in the Samsung.
It was playing Gulliver´s Travels from Bluray do the Samsung at 1080p/24Hz. The motion was not smooth at all…

I selected the Cinema mode, and activated also CinemaSmooth, but it didn´t made much difference…only on the black level and more natural colors.
All the rest I switch off (like noise reductions, eco modes etc... )

Was I doing something wrong? Can you give me suggestions? Or does this display have problems with motion/stuttering?
The 50VT30 didn´t have that kind of motion problems, and IFC was off.

Motion is a critical factor for me because I have two Panasonics, the 50PV500 and 50PX70, still working, excellent picture but with LOTS of stuttering...
On them I understand because they are old and do not support 24Hz inputs, but on these new sets I thought that the question of motion smooth was not a problem…

I would like to go back to the store but with some advices from you guys because you both have the model I want. If the error was because I made something wrong, then I would buy the Samsung and not the Panna because the black level performance was very good on both as well as was the contrast and colors, which means it doesn´t justify 700 euros more (that´s my opinion). But if not....if motion is a problem with 24hz input on the samsung, then i would have to go to the Pana..
Thanks again for all
Pedro
Hi Pedro

No motion issues whatsoever here. What was the bluray player set to output at? And was it a bluray?

WATTS

Your welcome Peedroo. I have no motion problems whatsoever so like Smurfin said it's probably the Blu Ray player not setup properly. ;)

peedroo

Novice Member
I am answering by phone now, so I can't write a lot...

I believe in both of you.
yes it was a bluray for sure and on the tv it stated 1080p /24Hz
and I think we can only activate cinemasmooth when fed with 24Hz, wright?

so the only reason should be the settings of the bluray player. it was a stylish Samsung bluray player all in silver. don't know the model...

but with your answers, for me are enough to conclude that the Samsung plasma is not the guilty one.

thanks again for all your help

Pedro

thej

Well it's decided, I'm ordering my D8000 tomorrow. Big thanks to saj14 who's given lots of support and advice, but also to everyone who's contributed useful info on here.
Realized one of my friends works for Samsung, and suffice to say staff discount is significant. So I can actually afford the damn thing!
Looking forward to seeing what this beast can do.

glypto

Novice Member
I am answering by phone now, so I can't write a lot...

I believe in both of you.
yes it was a bluray for sure and on the tv it stated 1080p /24Hz
and I think we can only activate cinemasmooth when fed with 24Hz, wright?

so the only reason should be the settings of the bluray player. it was a stylish Samsung bluray player all in silver. don't know the model...

but with your answers, for me are enough to conclude that the Samsung plasma is not the guilty one.

thanks again for all your help

Pedro
Hi Pedro,
while I do not own D8000 and cannot give any advice concerning the settings, I'm interested in your findings as for me good motion handling (smooth motion) is an important factor in choosing TV.
I'm not an expert but from what I know (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong) with Cinema Smooth ON the TV should display 24Hz material at 96Hz and produce smooth motion. When Cinema Smooth is OFF, TV displays 24Hz material at 60Hz producing 3:2 pulldown judder (mostly visible on camera pans which is jerky).
There should be a way (button on remote) to make TV report what type of input signal is it fed with. You should check whether BR player is sending 24Hz signal to TV - in case it is sending 24Hz, then The TV is responsible for bad motion handling.

So far I only have experience with Panasonic G20, which didn't handle 24Hz sources well - didn't produce smooth motion (few owners reported the same for V20) - so I'm a bit surprised you says VT30 had smooth motion (seems like a good news).
Surprisingly the low end LG PK350 I had for a week had very good/smooth motion handling for 24Hz source.

Thank you in advance for sharing your further findings...

supraman

Standard Member
I'm getting a bit annoyed with Samsung now. Why haven't they released the 3D starter kit for the 2011 models yet?? I really want to watch Megamind and all the Shrek films in 3D but despite them being Samsung exclusives, I have no way of watching them. I'd happily buy a starter kit with another pair of glasses but for some inane reason Samsung still haven't released it. I've just been on the phone to Samsung and the lady I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I said "3D starter kit" although after going off to speak to her manager she said that it will be released in June or July. :(
I went through a similar experience yesterday. I haven't bought the tele yet and the only thing stopping me is deciding what glasses to buy. I don't want to splash out on 2 pairs of glasses only to find I need to buy two more to get access to the exclusive content. I was hoping to email somebody so that I could explain my query in detail, but the Samsung website only lists a contact number. The person that answered the phone had very poor English-language skills and he struggled to understand my enquiry. He just kept repeating "You will find all the information you need on the Samsung website". Well I've searched for both "megamind" and "shrek" on the website and both titles return no results.

spanky2k, what number did you call?

As I've mentioned previously, I ordered a PS63C7000 which included the Shrek movies but it was discontinued before I took delivery. However I was told by the retailer (who still have my original deposit) that the Shrek promotion had ended and that there were "no copies left". Is Shrek definitely still a Samsung exclusive?

supraman

Standard Member
sunshine willy

sorry for late reply but i just asked about the 64" in richer sounds and said that i heard that had price matched with robertwhyte in the edinburough branch so he rang them and gave me the price of £2500 for tv plus £250 for 5yr garranty and £20 delivery. but no glasses he seemed to think.
Which branch of Richer Sounds was that?

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
Can anyone tell me what the kids glasses are this year as every time I search I just seem to find last years model.
Thanks Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton