Samsung D7000 vs Sony HX723 for gaming

byron_hinson

Can't decide what TV to get at the moment and as I'll probably be playing more games on it than films or TV I'd like to know some impressions for such as smoothness and picture quality in gaming. I had a Panasonic GT30 Plasma for 5 days but couldn't put up with the awful panning double image issue that plasma's have.

My current TV is a Sony 40-HX803 which isn't bad for gaming but would still prefer better.

blockbusterboy

Standard Member
First things first. I'd be really interested in hearing more about the double image problem you encountered on the GT30 as I was considering a plasma but heard about this problem but when you mentioned it to sellers then it wasn't a problem. If you get my drift.

Now onto the other. I looked at the D7000 and the HX723 and went with the HX723. Just waiting for it to arrive. Of course the promo price helped but having said that, and after comparing them, I would have still chosen the Sony in this instance. That's the conclusion I came to and you could very well fall on the side of the Samsung.It was close though.

When I get it and sort it out I'll fire up the PS3. Of course by the time that might get sorted you'll probably have had feedback to your inquiry.

playyourtune

Standard Member
Hi... I am about to buy a tv (40-42 inch) and after spending hours in shops and on the internet got down to...... hx723 and d7000 (others were Panny gt30, Lg w650 (with extra sky 100 quid discount )! So i am really curious to know how will you get on with hx 723 because i will be too using a lot of PS3! (as well as sports and hd..)

Hope you will have a good experience with it so i can too buy the same tv and not waste any more time looking for alternatives.... It's been really frustrating experience for me to choose one.....:confused:

Thanks in advance...

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi... I am about to buy a tv (40-42 inch) and after spending hours in shops and on the internet got down to...... hx723 and d7000 (others were Panny gt30, Lg w650 (with extra sky 100 quid discount )! So i am really curious to know how will you get on with hx 723 because i will be too using a lot of PS3! (as well as sports and hd..)

Hope you will have a good experience with it so i can too buy the same tv and not waste any more time looking for alternatives.... It's been really frustrating experience for me to choose one.....:confused:

Thanks in advance...

Good to listen to otheres experiances, but we all see things differently, as an example I have no issue myself gaming on my GT30. Theres pros and cons of all sets and all sets have their issues, this is why its worth taking the time to see sets yourself, demoing properly when and where you can. Also read the review section, we have the best demos on the web:)

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Can't decide what TV to get at the moment and as I'll probably be playing more games on it than films or TV I'd like to know some impressions for such as smoothness and picture quality in gaming. I had a Panasonic GT30 Plasma for 5 days but couldn't put up with the awful panning double image issue that plasma's have.

My current TV is a Sony 40-HX803 which isn't bad for gaming but would still prefer better.

I had the Sony 40HX723 for 3 days and have Virgin HD and a Xbox 360. I found it to be a very good display, had no edge bleed or clouding issues. Only issue i had was slight banding at the top and bottom of the screen.

Other than that it was a very good tv. Excellent motion, black levels and even off axis was great (obviously the blacks dipped but i was expecting far worse).

I only returned as i had always had my heart set on the monolithic design.

In my opinion bar the design i would chose it over the Samsung, for me the Samsungs this year were not on my radar due to their clouding/edge bleed issues compared to other sets.

Get John Lewis to price match. ;)

Buy Sony KDL40HX723BU 40" Full HD 3D LED TV with £100 Cashback Claim from Sony online, £699.00 Television-Blu-Ray-DVD-Televisions-3D-Televisions - Hi-Spek

Aaron

byron_hinson

Have they prices matched them before?

byron_hinson

Cheers did you do it online as just went in store and they said no as it was more than 3 miles from them.

byron_hinson

Thanks - now awaiting a response from John Lewis - knowing my luck it'll take them ages and it'll then be out of stock!

playyourtune

Standard Member
Actually i wanted to buy GT30 too but then i saw one in Curry's and the picture looked like it had a green coloured film layer on top!!! It was absolutely awful so i started to think again...

I totally agree that we should try tv sets thoroughly... but people in Curry's were not really helpful to say the least...

I do read the reviews on the internet... but still personal taste is different for everybody..

Actually what would be nice...to be able to -test drive- the sets for a day or two... Because let's face it, that would be the only way of really knowing how the tv is? In stores, lightning, ambience, your mental state and focus would be different then at your home...

I'll wait few more days of for the more info from the users then make my mind up...

Thanks anyway for positive mark for GT30..... maybe i should not write that tv off yet...

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Actually i wanted to buy GT30 too but then i saw one in Curry's and the picture looked like it had a green coloured film layer on top!!! It was absolutely awful so i started to think again...

I totally agree that we should try tv sets thoroughly... but people in Curry's were not really helpful to say the least...

I do read the reviews on the internet... but still personal taste is different for everybody..

Actually what would be nice...to be able to -test drive- the sets for a day or two... Because let's face it, that would be the only way of really knowing how the tv is? In stores, lightning, ambience, your mental state and focus would be different then at your home...

I'll wait few more days of for the more info from the users then make my mind up...

Thanks anyway for positive mark for GT30..... maybe i should not write that tv off yet...

RS, Sound and vision and many indipendent dealers have demo rooms you can book for a decent demo. Well worth it.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Where do you live?

playyourtune

Standard Member
Thanks mate! :smashin:

It will be a day spent in Southampton then next week (working at weekends)...

Will look for JL first. Never been there but i know it's a big store. So hopefully will make my mind up there...

But still will read all the posts here just to get more input on the models i'm interested...

byron_hinson

John Lewis price matched my Sony from Hi Spek no problem. ;)

Bear in mind its £699, the £599 is after cashback from Sony but its still cheaper than JL.

Thanks mate - got them to price match it online and ordered earlier. Though they never asked for the three number security code off the back of our card which makes me wonder if it went through!

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate - got them to price match it online and ordered earlier. Though they never asked for the three number security code off the back of our card which makes me wonder if it went through!

No worries.

They didn't ask us for the 3 digit number either and it went through....well i tell a lie, it would have gone through bar lloyds blocking it and then we had to ring fraud line :rolleyes: and again when we ordered the new Sony. Apparently not allowed to spend your own money these days. :laugh: It did arrive though and the new Sony is due any time now. :D

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member

Just to add, when asked about the 3 digit security code they said it wasn't needed.

If using your bank card, if they are anything like lloyds i would give them a call to make sure the transaction has gone through. ;)

byron_hinson

Called and all seems to have gone through. They just got my name wrong on the card!

blockbusterboy

Standard Member
A quick report back. Have had the 723 for a couple of days now and initial responses are very positive. Absolutely no crease (on mine), stunning picture. Of course I haven't really done any tweaking apart from bringing the basic colour/brightness/contrast levels down to a more bearable level. Other tweaks I'll do as I get more use to the screen.

As for PS3 gaming I'm in the process of loading my games up to the hard drive. I wiped all my save data,I know !! So far have done A-F. Haven't actually taken the PS3 for a spin yet. At the moment it's downloading update data for "Heavy Rain". It took about six hours to download the update data for "GT5"; And I'm suppose to be on 50mb. I think they might be a bad joke at virgins expense hidden there. But any way if opinion is needed regarding any game A-F let us know which one and I'll take it for a spin. Certainly on the opening cut scenes the image leaves, in my opinion, nothing to be desired.

I had this plan to load all my games to the hard drive but it's taking a bit longer than I expected so like I said anything A-F, that I have obviously, and I'll take it for a spin. Of course every body here might already have this purchased/on order and in that case the box of delights is about to or already delighting.

Have to head back to reality now. Am being summoned.

Last edited:

playyourtune

Standard Member
I just ordered my 40hx723 from JL with a price match of 699 quid (after the cashback will be 599):D! Will receive it on 29th of december but i'm well happy with the price so hopefully the quality will not let me down...

It was between this, GT30 and d7000..... but the price of 599...! No hesitation :smashin:!

Let's see how will i get on with....

I'll post later my impressions about the set after i receive and fiddle around a bit...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published