Samsung D7000 / D8000 - Settings & Calibration thread

PuntNL

Established Member
Reaction score
As more and more owners of the new Samsung D7000 and D8000 start to appear, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to posting and sharing our settings to get the most out of our television. I will also try to post the settings of some of the top review sites when they come up with them.

I think it is nice to share all of the settings around the web and the ones we come up with our selves. However keep in mind (as most of you probably already know) that settings for white balance and color management are very specific for each individual set.

Last edited:
FULLHD.GR Settings of the UE55D8000

Βacklight: 10
Contrast: 88
Brightness 36
Gamma: +2
White Balance

10[IRE] R[0] - G[1] - B[-5]
20[IRE] R[0] - G[1] - B[-10]
30[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-8]
40[IRE] R[0] - G[0] - B[-7]
50[IRE] R[0] - G[0] - B[-9]
60[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-9]
70[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-10]
80[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-10]
90[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-10]
100[IRE] R[1] - G[0] - B[-10]

Last edited:
Well here a first rundown of my own settings after a week of play with my 55D7000.
So here goes:

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 8 (3D: 12)
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Sharpness 10 (SD: 20)
Color 50
Tint 50/50

Black Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
Motion Lighting Off
xvYCC Off
Led Motion Plus Off

Colour Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black level Low
Film Mode n/a
Motion Plus Clear

Thanks for the setting, I wasn't happy with mine, yours looks better...

Have you had any issues with the screen going black for a few seconds every few hours or so then showing the picture again?

Used your settings- so far spot on, and a lot better than the default ones, thanks.

Nice to hear. In the coming weeks I will probably receive a colorimeter and some calibration software (probably ChromaPure). I will than take the set through a calibration myself, will post my findings and settings by then (probably somewhere by the end of this month)

My new settings. Very similar to yours but with a few alterations. Warm2 for colour tone felt a little TOO warm for my liking.

backlight 8 / 3D 12
contrast 95
brightness 35 /3D 38
sharpness 40
colour 50
tint 50/50

black tone off
dynamic contrast off
shadow detail 0
gamma 0

colour space auto
flesh tone 0
edge enhancement off
motion lighting off

colour tone standard
digital noise filter off
mpeg noise filter off
motion plus clear

Good to know that both FlatpanelsHD.com and HDTVtest.co.uk, 2 of the best television review sites (next to this one of course ;)), currently have the D8000 for testing and reviewing. So both reviews should land in the next two weeks or so and therefor also there settings resulted from the professional calibration. Always nice to compare and adjust from there.

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 50
Gamma: 2
IRE 100: R0 G1 B2
IRE 90: R-1 G0 B-1
IRE 80: R0 G0 B-2
IRE 70: R-2 G-1 B-4
IRE 60: R0 G-2 B-5
IRE 50: R-1 G-3 B-4
IRE 40: R0 G-2 B-2
IRE 30: R2 G0 B2
IRE 20: R1 G-1 B1
IRE 10: R10 G7 B7
R-Offset: 19
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 23
R-Gain: 20
G-Gain: 27
B-Gain: 21
Colour Space Red: R86 G2 B1
Colour Space Green: R0 G61 B0
Colour Space Blue: R3 G7 B92
Colour Space Yellow: R57 G50 B0
Colour Space Cyan: R0 G54 B56
Colour Space Magenta: R74 G4 B74

i suggest putting the firmware version used for each group of settings - as they release updates you will probably have to tweak.

IRE 100: R0 G1 B2
IRE 90: R-1 G0 B-1
IRE 80: R0 G0 B-2
IRE 70: R-2 G-1 B-4
IRE 60: R0 G-2 B-5
IRE 50: R-1 G-3 B-4
IRE 40: R0 G-2 B-2
IRE 30: R2 G0 B2
IRE 20: R1 G-1 B1
IRE 10: R10 G7 B7

Where are these settings to be found? What does IRE stand for?

i suggest putting the firmware version used for each group of settings - as they release updates you will probably have to tweak.

Agreed.

I did notice on my settings that I am actually losing shadow detail, but found the brightness setting improved that more so than the backlight. More tinkering ahead :D

I have found that using the same settings both for Freesat and PS3 and USB does not work, as the lower brightness settings required for Freesat meant I was actually losing shadow detail on PS3 BD's etc. So I have now reviewed my settings to make sure there is minimal shadow detail while still keeping the blacks where needed on all sources, which meant having separate settings for Freesat due to its brighter picture:

(Firmware 1009)

PS3 / USB: (3D +2 for backlight and contrast)

backlight 9
contrast 91
brightness 44

Freesat:

backlight 8
contrast 95
brightness 34

Other settings:

sharpness 20
colour 50
tint 50/50

black tone off
dynamic contrast off
shadow detail 0
gamma 1

Colour Space:
Red: R89 G0 B0
Green: R0 G62 B0
Blue: R0 G7 B100
Yellow: R55 G51 B0
Cyan: R0 G56 B58
Magenta: R72 G3 B76

White Balance:
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 28
B-Offset: 21
R-Gain: 21
G-Gain: 24
B-Gain: 23

flesh tone 0
edge enhancement off
motion lighting off

colour tone standard
digital noise filter off
mpeg noise filter off
motion plus clear

Where are these settings to be found? What does IRE stand for?

Thats the 10 point white balance.

How did you guys (djtobyward and wastedyuthe) came up with the white balance and colour adjustments? Just by the eye?

Thats the 10 point white balance.

How did you guys (djtobyward and wastedyuthe) came up with the white balance and colour adjustments? Just by the eye?

Thx. I cheated and used some of the calibration settings from that website posted about a few pages ago on the owners thread :D

Just thought their brightness was too high, especially for Freesat, so made a few adjustments.

Last edited:
Score:

User friendly9Max 10 points for each, max 110 points in total! The bigger the difference are in score before, and after calibration, the need for a calibration raises!Quality8Calibration settings7Design10Functions9Sound5Contrast8
Pre calibration
After calibrationRGB Balance69Color temperature79Gamma79Color space79Total8392
Black/white:

0.038 cd/m2Lower are better, advantage in darker rooms 149.86 cd/m2Higher are better, advantage in bright roomsContrast ratio3959:1Higher are better
Power usage:

Standby< 1 wattThink about the enviroment, save power! 74 watt 74 watt 74 watt

no i found it on this website Samsung UE46D8005 at AVDB
its free to sign up.. but the model is the samsung d8005.. think its the usa one..

Nice find. So those settings posted are the calibrated settings from that site (than I don't have to sign up :)?

Kind of surprised by the fact that the standard movie mode is still looking quitte off. Color temperature pretty okay at 6300 kelvin, but R G B values and Gamma are way off.

Contrast, black and white levels looking very solid for an led lcd!

But enough possibilities for improving the image via some calibration I see.

Are u sure u guys are doing the right thing lowering sharpness so much?

I have tested this with the BD of Beowolf tonight as an example:

Sharpness at 10% :
4ece392a.jpg

Sharpness at 50% (notice the extra detail in her hair) :
9ea8c999.jpg

I'm also going to have to change my settings again. Just went from Movie to Natural and noticed how drab my settings looked compared to that, and how my blacks seemed to have a green tint to them in comparison. Doesn't help when these settings look good enough in daylight, but not at night. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
i found them settings i found a bit washed out.. a bit gray looking for my liking.. so hard trying to find the right settings. might just have to pay someone to come out me thinks

i found them settings i found a bit washed out.. a bit gray looking for my liking.. so hard trying to find the right settings. might just have to pay someone to come out me thinks

I agree. Once I'd changed to Natural from my Movie settings then went back to Movie, I noticed immediately how "grey" they were, except as I said it had a greenish tint to that grey too compared to Natural. So I have moved to Natural for now and reduced backlight and brightness but tried to keep shadow detail. Seems fine so far, but definitely need to spend more time tinkering. Most of those settings were from that link above too.

only thing with natural setting is you cant change all picture settings.... going to wait a month see what settings people come up with... then if no joy ill pay some one...

I'm actually finding these new settings very satisfying so far, especially with Freesat. Going to see how it goes with these for a while:

Picture mode: Standard
backlight: 8 (3D: 10)
contrast: 98 (3D: 100)
brightness: 46 (Freesat: 38)

sharpness: 30
colour: 50
tint: 50/50

black tone: off
dynamic contrast: off
shadow detail: 0
gamma: 1

Colour Space: auto

flesh tone: 0
edge enhancement: off
motion lighting: off

colour tone: standard
digital noise filter: off
mpeg noise filter: off
motion plus: off

Natural colours, good blacks without losing shadow detail. Motion seems to be perfect without anything enabled.

Just bought my new ue46d7000 model on Friday ( uk ), very pleased, running it through my sky hd box with old hdmi leads from previous set up.
Most of the hi def content absolutely stunning especially Pacific showing on
Sky 1hd at present.
Just a few questions if anyone could help?

1. Should I buy a couple of hdmi 1.4 leads to increase picture quality or does
It really not matter?

2. I think that some hi def programmes are better quality than others, is this
To do with the specific channel there on or the actual programme?

3. I also watch alot of sport (hd)i.e football / rugby. Have tried lots of mucking
About with settings but can't seem to find a happy setting. Can anyone
Suggest settings and calibration for sport and movies? Should they be
Different?

Many thanks.

any you guys got banding... i never noticed it.. but its started to happen when watching football.. few lines down the tv on the grass areas.. when panning... im not happpy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom