Samsung D6530 series LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
In store mate

I have the 40D6530 and think that 3D is fantastic! watched the NBA final and Wow is best way to describe it, and I haven't eve fiddled around with the settings, all standard out of the box.
That's really interesting... Is it possible we paid £200 more for a TV with a different stand? :p

That's really interesting... Is it possible we paid £200 more for a TV with a different stand? :p

I haven't seen your TV in action but I'm really impressed with the D6530, hopefully get it even better when I play around with settings and ind out what half the stuff on it does.
I had a quick loo and the only differences I could see between the 2 sets is the D6570 have Mirco Dimming and comes with a pair of glasses in the box, everything else looks the same, and the stand of course.

Are you sure the D6570 has Micro Dimming? I did a compare and this is what came out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29871/TV/SamsungComparison.png

According to this list, the D7000 is the only one with Micro Dimming. (What is micro dimming anyway?)

And of course, the D6750 is a foot smaller than the D6530. I get the feeling these stats are rather inaccurate... ;)

I made a few recordings with this tv to a external hdd its worked fine in the past but when i went to play them back one day the tv does not recognise that i have a hdd connected to it, i switched the tv off at the mains but still no luck so i tried making another recording and the tv said i would need to format the hdd first but i know if i do this i will loose all my recordings on the hdd, anyone else had the same trouble with the hdd i guess i will never see what i have recorded because the hdd must be corrupted for some reason makes me think its not very reliable but why? If I need to buy another one which hdd would be reliable.

Hi, I've also had issues with the PVR on my D8000 - I used a WD Elements 2.5 USB powered drive - TV recognised it and it worked for a bit and then suddenly it wasn't there :( reconnected and had to reformat (losing all my recordings) and then disappeared again. after a few goes the TV stopped recognising the drive completely so took it back to Comet and got another one - this lasted a few more weeks before the TV stopped "seeing" it and I couldn't even use it as a PC backup drive as the PC couldn't format it either. I've taken it back and got myself a WD My Book powered drive now - hoping the self power will make it more reliable (the TVs have very strict rules on power consumption, speed, etc but the elements drive met them all). Hopefully the issue is with the power.

If you search for samsung PVR there is a cnet discussion and someone has started a spreadsheet with which drives work with which TV (this maybe American however). the My Book is on the list of drives that work so keeping my fingers crossed (I think i'll be pushing my luck with Comet if I return a third drive :))

what drive/s are you using ? USB or self powered ?

I'll let you know how I get on (although it may take a few weeks of reliability to ensure it really works).

Are you sure the D6570 has Micro Dimming? I did a compare and this is what came out:

According to this list, the D7000 is the only one with Micro Dimming. (What is micro dimming anyway?)

And of course, the D6750 is a foot smaller than the D6530. I get the feeling these stats are rather inaccurate... ;)

Yes, the D6750 does have Micro Dimming. It says so when you look at the tech specs on the Samsung UK website. I also saw to 40D6750 in the flesh yesterday in House of Fraser (Oxford Street) and it had Micro Dimming icon on it.

This could be a very good reason for getting the D6750 over the D6530.

Yes, the D6750 does have Micro Dimming. It says so when you look at the tech specs on the Samsung UK website. I also saw to 40D6750 in the flesh yesterday in House of Fraser (Oxford Street) and it had Micro Dimming icon on it.

This could be a very good reason for getting the D6750 over the D6530.
Cool! I'd like to think that the extra cost was based on more than just a crows foot ;)

However, the Samsung site doesn't fill me with much confidence, since depending on where you look it says different things. Oh and the D6750 Features page contains loads of pictures of the D6530... :rolleyes:

40" D6750 Smart 3D LED TV | 6 Series LED TV

Some useful dude has made this excel comparison for D range 5-8 series TVs.
It seems pretty accurate tbh:

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/articles/samsung-led-lineup-d-series.jpg

it shows the 6750 as having micro dimming...

AFAIK micro dimming is side lit LED screen where the LEDs are dimmed to give zones of backlight brightness control. Not the same a local dimming which is backlit LED and gives finer granularity 'dimming zones'

Some useful dude has made this excel comparison for D range 5-8 series TVs.
It seems pretty accurate tbh:

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/articles/samsung-led-lineup-d-series.jpg

it shows the 6750 as having micro dimming...

AFAIK micro dimming is side lit LED screen where the LEDs are dimmed to give zones of backlight brightness control. Not the same a local dimming which is backlit LED and gives finer granularity 'dimming zones'
That's awesome... Thanks!

I caved in yesterday and bought the TV for £774 from amazon but that did include 2 pairs of 3D glasses and 3 months subscription to lovefilm.

Which is nice.

It arrives today thanks to Amazon letting me try its Amazon Prime delivery service again for 30 days.

:D

In case anyone is interested , crampton and moore are doing the 46d6530 + BCD5900 blu ray player, 2 pairs of 3d glasses, and a 3 year warranty for £1089 + delivery, bargain really and from a well respected store, considering only 3 weeks or so ago i paid roughly that for just the TV alone from amazon.

Just got a ue32d6510, from Amazon. Mini review follows:
The good:
- style : chrome and white with thin bezel looks good. Viewing area is much larger than my old CRT and only takes a fraction of the space.

- picture : previous tv was a 28" SONY CRT. SD material is comparable, and HD material (when encoded right) is really good. Today;s Wimbledon was a joy to watch. Took a bit of tweaking to get rid of harsh edge artifacts though, and some modes seem to make picture, well, just dim. Arrived at a setting which suits just fine in the end.
Watched DVD upscaled from a Sony RDXR770 to 1080p - perfectly fine.

No banding or clouding, as reported in some larger screen sizes.
Detailed colour adjustment options provided, including whitepoint and providing expert patterns.

- connectivity : 3 USB, 4HDMI + composite / SCART inputs. What more do you need ?
- interactivity : haven't had much of a chance to play in detail, but iPlayer looks fine, equalling the Humax sat box I have.

It found my NAS no problems, and allows me to stream movies, photos and music. Interface is fine, nothing stellar.

- sound : for a small flat thin rectangle, it's pretty damn good. Certainly not hard on the ears after a few hours, like some models. The virtual surround mode is pretty effective too, and doesn't sound bad.

- networking : plugged unit into Ethernet, it found the O2 router just fine, auto-configured via DHCP. Internet connected in seconds, downloaded the firmware (0001011) quickly. Updating the SmartHub gadgets took ages though.

and the not so good...
connectivity : Amazon and Samsung sites both claim this has an S2/satellite input. It doesn't. Called samsung, they confirmed it should. Called amazon, they said it should. they're investigating if the other units are DVB-T only too. Further digging showed an obscure footnote that UK-only models don't have satellite, everyone else does. Pants, and close to a deal breaker for me. Do any other models or screen sizes have satellite?

Interactivity: - the samsung EPG, while pretty, is S L O W. Pretty unforgivable in 2011, how hard is it to update a row of text in less than 1-2 seconds.

Channel organisation : pants and slow process to move or generally re-arrange channels. It's also a feature hidden away in SmartHub, and not in the Settings menu.

Channel acquisition time: swapping from one channel to another is not exactly quick, and the HD channels seem to take a couple of seconds or more. Not great for the continual channel changer in me.

Picture features : it's got black tone, dynamic adjustment, motion lighting, LED motion plus, motion plus and a few others. Just what do they do? Even the 300p+ guide doesn't really explain how it all works and what combinations suit different usage scenarios.

motion handling : just can't seem to get smooth motion on faster moving objects (balls at wimbledon). Fiddling with motion plus didnt seem to do much. Is this still an issue with modern LED/LCD or is it just me?

---
Amazon supplied the unit next day, with two 'free' pairs of 3100 3D glasses (RRP £95), £655, so pretty good price.

So overall, 7.5/10. Half a point off for no satellite input, a point off for the slow interface and a point off for well just stuff.

Last edited:
connectivity : Amazon and Samsung sites both claim this has an S2/satellite input. It doesn't. Called samsung, they confirmed it should. Called amazon, they said it should. they're investigating if the other units are DVB-T only too. Further digging showed an obscure footnote that UK-only models don't have satellite, everyone else does. Pants, and close to a deal breaker for me. Do any other models or screen sizes have satellite?
As far as I can see from their UK website, the 6-series are Freeview HD only. The 7-series and above have Freesat too. But some places on their website say one thing, and then are contradicted elsewhere. They make great TVs, but Samsung's website and general attention to literature is terrible. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Interactivity: - the samsung EPG, while pretty, is S L O W. Pretty unforgivable in 2011, how hard is it to update a row of text in less than 1-2 seconds.
You got that right! ;) some incredible things you can do with Smart Hub, but the graphics power in general is pathetic. Surely a decent graphics card doesn't cost that much Samsung? It's a good job the features are so good you just forget about it after a while.

Still love my new TV, but you've picked up on some gripes I agree with, I'm just so in awe of the picture I'd brushed them under the carpet ;)

Just got a ue32d6510, from Amazon. Mini review follows:
The good:
- style : chrome and white with thin bezel looks good. Viewing area is much larger than my old CRT and only takes a fraction of the space.

- picture : previous tv was a 28" SONY CRT. SD material is comparable, and HD material (when encoded right) is really good. Today;s Wimbledon was a joy to watch. Took a bit of tweaking to get rid of harsh edge artifacts though, and some modes seem to make picture, well, just dim. Arrived at a setting which suits just fine in the end.
Watched DVD upscaled from a Sony RDXR770 to 1080p - perfectly fine.

No banding or clouding, as reported in some larger screen sizes.
Detailed colour adjustment options provided, including whitepoint and providing expert patterns.

- connectivity : 3 USB, 4HDMI + composite / SCART inputs. What more do you need ?
- interactivity : haven't had much of a chance to play in detail, but iPlayer looks fine, equalling the Humax sat box I have.

It found my NAS no problems, and allows me to stream movies, photos and music. Interface is fine, nothing stellar.

- sound : for a small flat thin rectangle, it's pretty damn good. Certainly not hard on the ears after a few hours, like some models. The virtual surround mode is pretty effective too, and doesn't sound bad.

- networking : plugged unit into Ethernet, it found the O2 router just fine, auto-configured via DHCP. Internet connected in seconds, downloaded the firmware (0001011) quickly. Updating the SmartHub gadgets took ages though.

and the not so good...

Channel organisation : pants and slow process to move or generally re-arrange channels. It's also a feature hidden away in SmartHub, and not in the Settings menu.

Channel acquisition time: swapping from one channel to another is not exactly quick, and the HD channels seem to take a couple of seconds or more. Not great for the continual channel changer in me.

Picture features : it's got black tone, dynamic adjustment, motion lighting, LED motion plus, motion plus and a few others. Just what do they do? Even the 300p+ guide doesn't really explain how it all works and what combinations suit different usage scenarios.

motion handling : just can't seem to get smooth motion on faster moving objects (balls at wimbledon). Fiddling with motion plus didnt seem to do much. Is this still an issue with modern LED/LCD or is it just me?

---
Amazon supplied the unit next day, with two 'free' pairs of 3100 3D glasses (RRP £95), £655, so pretty good price.

So overall, 7.5/10. Half a point off for no satellite input, a point off for the slow interface and a point off for well just stuff.

backlight bleed ? that was the deal breaker for me.

How does one get the free glasses at amazon? I took a look around on the site but can't see any mention of this deal...

Hi, I've also had issues with the PVR on my D8000 - I used a WD Elements 2.5 USB powered drive - TV recognised it and it worked for a bit and then suddenly it wasn't there :( reconnected and had to reformat (losing all my recordings) and then disappeared again. after a few goes the TV stopped recognising the drive completely so took it back to Comet and got another one - this lasted a few more weeks before the TV stopped "seeing" it and I couldn't even use it as a PC backup drive as the PC couldn't format it either. I've taken it back and got myself a WD My Book powered drive now - hoping the self power will make it more reliable (the TVs have very strict rules on power consumption, speed, etc but the elements drive met them all). Hopefully the issue is with the power.

If you search for samsung PVR there is a cnet discussion and someone has started a spreadsheet with which drives work with which TV (this maybe American however). the My Book is on the list of drives that work so keeping my fingers crossed (I think i'll be pushing my luck with Comet if I return a third drive :))

what drive/s are you using ? USB or self powered ?

I'll let you know how I get on (although it may take a few weeks of reliability to ensure it really works).

I'm not using the PVR feature, but make sure the HDD is connected to USB1. I had the same issue with the drive disappearing from the other USB ports - I suspect they don't provide enough power to the drive.

Hi i have just purchased the UE46D6530 this week, does anybody have any calibration settings for this model yet?

Also when watching the tennis on BBC HD it was very jerky until i turned one of the motion control settings, can somebody tell why this is?

Thanks for your help.

How does one get the free glasses at amazon? I took a look around on the site but can't see any mention of this deal...

It's directly below the pictures of the TV where it says "Special Offers and Product Promotions". It's valid until 31st July.

I just spotted an amazing offer on the Samsung UE40D6100 with a free bluray player and two pairs of 3d glasses for only £629.

Does anyone have pics of this TV? And are there any major differences between this and the D6530? I know theres no wifi, but a dongle could be had for about £30 on amazon. Any other differences in picture quality and 3d performance.

what means Mega Contrast in numbers for Samsung ? 1mil:1 ? 2mil:1 ?

What about luminosity ? 400cd ? 500 cd ?

Does anyone have pics of this TV? And are there any major differences between this and the D6530? I know theres no wifi, but a dongle could be had for about £30 on amazon. Any other differences in picture quality and 3d performance.

The 6100 doesn't come with any 3D adjustment nor 2D to 3D conversion. It also has a much larger bezel.

The 6100 doesn't come with any 3D adjustment nor 2D to 3D conversion. It also has a much larger bezel.

Does 3D Adjustment mean you can change the depth on the D6530?

Im not bothered about the 2d to 3d conversion or the bezel, as its still a great looking tv.

backlight bleed ? that was the deal breaker for me.

I don't recognise any backlight bleed - maybe I am happy in my ignorance :)

Couple of other (minorish) niggles...
* the DTV tuner isn't as good as the one in my Sony DVD-REcorder. The sony never ever shows any picture breakup, the samsung seems sensitive on some of the lesser channels (E4, ITV3, CBBies). If sony can get a perfect picture, so should samsung.

* Game mode is buried, and I mean buried in the menus - it must be about five levels in to turn on and off. Unnecessary effort.

* When you change channel, it gives you the name and number, but doesn't tell you what's on. Which leads me to...

* When you press the TV Info button, it brings up a window with the usual info, however the programme description is in tiny tiny text. You have to press another button to bring up another window, where the text is legible. Again, just unnecessary effort.

* no 'now and next', without going in to the full EPG. Which as I've said already, is slower than a slow thing.

So overall, a very competent TV with a full range of features, solid picture wise, respectable sound, attractive interface. It's just not as slick to use as you'd expect, especially in an era of iPhone/iPad and HTC Android phones.

Does 3D Adjustment mean you can change the depth on the D6530?

Im not bothered about the 2d to 3d conversion or the bezel, as its still a great looking tv.

Basically, yes. I haven't seen a 6100 running 3D so can't say how good it is at it but I have seen one running 2D HD and it did look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom