Samsung D6100 Owners Thread

joeac

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a thread already for this set. After securing a price match of £500 on the D6100 from JL could anyone share their experiences with this set? especially with the 3D?

Also are current owners aware of there being a panel lottery on this set?

They are:

UE40D6100SW-Russia-CN01->Version No:01-Panel-LD400CGC-C2,CLL6CC5,10 BITS,40-CHILIN(CMI)Type-S-MVA
UE40D6100SW-Russia-HQ03->Version No:03-Panel-6K 40 3D_LTJ400HV03-V,LCD Ce-Samsung S-PVA

Just ordered this set:) Does anyone who owns this set know how to check which panel they have? as I prefer the s-pva.

I'm pretty glad you started a owners thread as iv'e been looking at this tv but haven't seen any reviews for it. One thing i would like to know is, is it actually 200Hz or is it really 100hz using a 200hz clear motion moniker?

Looks wise it ticks all the boxes i would just like to hear about how it performs so any info from yourself will prove to be valuable. When yours arrives do you think you can do a mini review followed by a few pics please.:)

I'm thinking of ordering the 46" model...

The real plus points in my partners mind are the TimeShift and PVR function. Is this any good?? In terms of both recording quality and ease of use....

I'm planning on using it for ps3 gaming, lots of SD tv viewing and when we get hd freeview that too... As well as streaming lots of avi files over my LAN.

So I have a couple of questions if anyone's willing to answer.... How does the picture quality hold up under all of these circumstances? ...and how easy is the user interface to navigate and use?

Thanks!!

I'm thinking of ordering the 46" model...

The real plus points in my partners mind are the TimeShift and PVR function. Is this any good?? In terms of both recording quality and ease of use....

I'm planning on using it for ps3 gaming, lots of SD tv viewing and when we get hd freeview that too... As well as streaming lots of avi files over my LAN.

So I have a couple of questions if anyone's willing to answer.... How does the picture quality hold up under all of these circumstances? ...and how easy is the user interface to navigate and use?

Thanks!!

Well i was in richersounds the other day and it did catch my eye it is pretty slick design wise, i'm also looking at the 46" aswell from what i saw the picture wasn't to bad i will be watching alot of SD to and some hidef viewing and gaming. I did have a play around with it and found the user interface to be pretty easy to use and navigate through.

I have a few other tvs in the running but i just want to find out alittle more about this screen.

I'm pretty glad you started a owners thread as iv'e been looking at this tv but haven't seen any reviews for it. One thing i would like to know is, is it actually 200Hz or is it really 100hz using a 200hz clear motion moniker?

Looks wise it ticks all the boxes i would just like to hear about how it performs so any info from yourself will prove to be valuable. When yours arrives do you think you can do a mini review followed by a few pics please.:)

I believe it is actually 100hz but Samsung promote it as 200hz due to their 'Clear motion' advertising. As you have stated the styling is excellent. I know this set has issues with the 3D (affects all D6*** models) but for only £20 more over the D5520 I thought I would give it ago + it should handle motion better. Once I get it I can do a mini review with some pics:smashin:, I will be able to compare it to the ST30 which was my last set, ended up getting rid of mainly due to the way whites were produced... very dim! Also it will be interesting to see how this performs in 3D with my own eyes, not expecting much from what I have read about the 3D however it could be proven wrong, I have read that even the 3D panasonics tv's don't produce Full HD 3D but much closer to 1080 than the D6100

Source from HDTVTEST
Taken from D6530 review

The Samsung UE40D6530 isn’t the only 3DTV promoted as “Full HD 3D” to actually not be – none of the 2011 Panasonic Plasma TV panels we’ve reviewed have been able to reproduce all 1080 lines of the 3D image, although they’re very close and the limitation is nowhere near as extreme. In fact, the only TV manufacturers we haven’t seen slip up in the resolution area so far have been Toshiba and Sony (although we’ve not seen all of their 3D range).

I have seen 3D on the Panasonic ST30, GT30 and Samsung D550, It will be interesting to see how the 3D lines up against these sets. At present 3D isn't what I use much at all (due to its cost and lack of content,) I am far more interested in 2D picture quality for SD, HD, gaming and films. So for me I see the 3D feature on the D6100 as a bonus because of its price against competition in the television market. Every set seems to suffer from issues no matter which manufacturer you choose. Delivery is due friday:smashin:

Last edited:
Yeah i'm not particularly interested in 3d myself but 2d picture quality, i'm really looking forward to your opinion.:smashin:

me too....

I was also wondering whether anyone has seen the UE46D6100 up for sale with a five year warranty for less than £879.90 (Richter Sounds)? Its the best I can see with the warranty... has anyone seen a better deal?

The cheapest I can see is on pixmania.co.uk (£700.15 with Quidco cashback). But no warranty on offer...

I'd also be interested if anyone has seen a good deal that comes with glasses...

me too....

I was also wondering whether anyone has seen the UE46D6100 up for sale with a five year warranty for less than £879.90 (Richter Sounds)? Its the best I can see with the warranty... has anyone seen a better deal?

The cheapest I can see is on pixmania.co.uk (£700.15 with Quidco cashback). But no warranty on offer...

I'd also be interested if anyone has seen a good deal that comes with glasses...

John Lewis price matched Hispek who initially had it for £500 now its £550. If you price match with Hispek you should get it for £550 with 5 year warranty:)

John Lewis price matched Hispek who initially had it for £500 now its £550. If you price match with Hispek you should get it for £550 with 5 year warranty:)

I'm assuming this was referring to the UE40D6100 (40" model), it's on there for £719 here... you could price match, but is out of stock! and the wrong size for me anyway.

I can't see the UE46D6100 (46" model) for sale on the John Lewis website? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I would love to ask for a price match...

Atm, I'm now a bit torn between getting the extended warranty and saving nearly 200 quid!

John lewis don't do it in the 46" only 40" the other day online i saw that they were doing a deal it was the 40d6100 with two pairs of glasses and free 3d bluray player for £719 i don't know if that deal is still happening now though ?

If they did that in 46" i might of considered that.

John lewis don't do it in the 46" only 40" the other day online i saw that they were doing a deal it was the 40d6100 with two pairs of glasses and free 3d bluray player for £719 i don't know if that deal is still happening now though ?

If they did that in 46" i might of considered that.

yea that deal they are out of stock on atm according to their website...

I'm assuming this was referring to the UE40D6100 (40" model), it's on there for £719 here... you could price match, but is out of stock! and the wrong size for me anyway.

I can't see the UE46D6100 (46" model) for sale on the John Lewis website? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I would love to ask for a price match...

Atm, I'm now a bit torn between getting the extended warranty and saving nearly 200 quid!

:facepalm: didn't realise it was the 46" you were after. For some bizzare reason it is now out of stock at john lewis although there were more than 10 in stock last night at £719!

:facepalm: didn't realise it was the 46" you were after. For some bizzare reason it is now out of stock at john lewis although there were more than 10 in stock last night at £719!

dw about it! The pixmania price seems very good in my eyes if I can end up paying around £700 after cashback for the 46" version.... but I've heard bad things about pixmania :nono: so I'm a tad concerned about ordering it from them!

I'm afraid I'm in sussex... but that is an option.

I have just sent Richter Sounds to run a pricematch, I will let you know how I get on!

Was that for the 40"? Also whats the set like?

Yes 40", its really good. I am yet to test it fully, as I am waiting for the set to be wall mounted.

The picture quality from my Sky HD Box is brilliant.

Not tested the 3D yet....

I have the 40" had it for about a month now, the deal I got was £700 with 4 pairs of 3d glasses from Currys. Have my set mounted on a floor stand with a back plate, picture 2d and 3d looks fantastic to me, the freesat box is really clear and even the sd channels look sharp. I have a sony 3d bluray player connected, and is faultless, picture is one of the best I have seen, but then again we upgraded from a 7 year Sharp LCD. Internet is also plugged in via lan cable, again no problems.. despite the lack of a web browser if that is important to you, but as a lovefilm user, its quite handy along with the other internet related content.

Let me know if you want any info etc..

I have the 40" had it for about a month now, the deal I got was £700 with 4 pairs of 3d glasses from Currys. Have my set mounted on a floor stand with a back plate, picture 2d and 3d looks fantastic to me, the freesat box is really clear and even the sd channels look sharp. I have a sony 3d bluray player connected, and is faultless, picture is one of the best I have seen, but then again we upgraded from a 7 year Sharp LCD. Internet is also plugged in via lan cable, again no problems.. despite the lack of a web browser if that is important to you, but as a lovefilm user, its quite handy along with the other internet related content.

Let me know if you want any info etc..

Thanks for the info, quick question do you suffer from any backlight bleed or clouding on your tv? and if so is it bad or tollerable for you thanks in advance.

Have had this set for around a month and a bit now and am really impressed with it! Surprised there doesn't seem to be many reviews of it knocking about nor calibration settings (although the D7000/D8000 ones seem to work fine) but i'm sure they'll come over time.

One annoying thing is i previously had an Onkyo 607 hooked up to it which the tv picked up flawlessly. Now i've upgraded to a 609 and for the life of me can't get it to recognise it. If anyone else has a similar issue then please let me know as it's driving me nuts trying to solve it!

I got this tv before christmas for £525 from amazon (yes its the 40inch!). It was so cheap that Richer Sounds actually backed out of their price match promise and claimed it can't have been a genuine set. well their loss as it is and it is their fault i looked it up. I had originally gone to get the UE40D5520 when their chap said that what samsung state as screen rate is not the true refresh rate but their clear motion rate. he said i would be better going for a genuine 100hz tv but would put the other on order...that evening a search or two found this bargain!

It looks beautiful and unobtrusive.
The picture is astonishing 2D, the black is so dark it makes an amazing picture with the contrast (i think you would need a plasma screen to get better black, samsung definitely leads on this front from the LED poin of view, having looked at the others). Even my sceptical wife is converted having watched an episode of frozen planet in HD. I havent seen any serious bleed or clouding, and i have tried alsorts of films programmes etc. For this range i dont think there is a better picture in 2D, having done a serious ammount of online and instore reviewing.

The online is adequate but not going to blow your mind, the love film is a little glitchy as it is early software and we tend to stream through the PS3 which actually gives a better picture on the TV too. I think it is early days for smart TV and this will continue to grow and upgrade. (brief edit...another reason for playing love film via the ps3 is that you can still alter the picture and sound setting on the tv if its not suiting the film, however you cant do this whilst it is playing through the smart hub directly!)

I have the Hama wireless dongle not the samsung one (it works and is half the price) However you need a very strong wireless signal to get it working properly, hence i have had to boost my wireless signal.

I havent yet tried the 3D as we didnt intend on using it for 3D, and all the sets we had looked at were 2D, it just so happened this fell into the price bracket for us and had the best 2D picture. I am not complaining though as it gives me/us the option of getting some glasses at some point (no doubt before too long)

I have got a USB hard drive and been backing up my DVD collection. Oddly, although it says it is compatible with MPEG4 MP4 etc, the only file i can get it to see is MKV, again not an issue as i would probably pic MKV anyhow for forward planning... nevertheless my converted star wars dvd looks stunning and lossless played through it. As for the usb, it spotted the drive straight away and reads it fine. (I am using a WD elements 1TB drive.)

Soundwise, we dont have a huge living room and the tv sits in the corner, I had originally planned a sound bar as a sound system was vetoed by superior powers, but to be honest the sound is fine for a 3x4m room and i wont bother with extra speaker at this stage, it definitely seems a step or two on from the d5520 i had been looking at.

watching youtube online on a 40 inch screen just adds to hilarity.

As for clearmotion, i am still trying to figure that side of things, but havent seen any speed issues yet.

The game playing on the PS3 is excellent (no delay on current games i have played and my poor death rate on MW3 is more my own issues rather than being able to blame slow delay. the Game setting isnt in the screen settings, but the main general settings, an odd spot but not something to get knickers in a twist, remember you are watching a bargain!)

So there is my little amateur input into this TV, which is superb and i cannot praise its picture quality enough, i am itching to hear what people think of the 3d side (and what their favourite glasses for it are). If anyone else has the USB drive issues or isnt i would be interested in hearing your experiences. I hope this helps people, as there are hardly any reviews for this TV out there and it was an accident i found it, as it seems sandwiched in the middle of the d5520 which is heavily publicised and the more expensive d8000 sets.

Last edited:
Thank you drgarold for your review it was very informative and you did get it for a bargain price!!! so much for richersounds saying that they will price match till it hurts, maybe at the price you got it for would have hurt them a little to much...:D

I got this tv before christmas for £525 from amazon (yes its the 40inch!). It was so cheap that Richer Sounds actually backed out of their price match promise and claimed it can't have been a genuine set. well their loss as it is and it is their fault i looked it up. I had originally gone to get the UE40D5520 when their chap said that what samsung state as screen rate is not the true refresh rate but their clear motion rate. he said i would be better going for a genuine 100hz tv but would put the other on order...that evening a search or two found this bargain!

It looks beautiful and unobtrusive.
The picture is astonishing 2D, the black is so dark it makes an amazing picture with the contrast (i think you would need a plasma screen to get better black, samsung definitely leads on this front from the LED poin of view, having looked at the others). Even my sceptical wife is converted having watched an episode of frozen planet in HD. I havent seen any serious bleed or clouding, and i have tried alsorts of films programmes etc. For this range i dont think there is a better picture in 2D, having done a serious ammount of online and instore reviewing.

The online is adequate but not going to blow your mind, the love film is a little glitchy as it is early software and we tend to stream through the PS3 which actually gives a better picture on the TV too. I think it is early days for smart TV and this will continue to grow and upgrade.

I have the Hama wireless dongle not the samsung one (it works and is half the price) However you need a very strong wireless signal to get it working properly, hence i have had to boost my wireless signal.

I havent yet tried the 3D as we didnt intend on using it for 3D, and all the sets we had looked at were 2D, it just so happened this fell into the price bracket for us and had the best 2D picture. I am not complaining though as it gives me/us the option of getting some glasses at some point (no doubt before too long)

I have got a USB hard drive and been backing up my DVD collection. Oddly, although it says it is compatible with MPEG4 MP4 etc, the only file i can get it to see is MKV, again not an issue as i would probably pic MKV anyhow for forward planning... nevertheless my converted star wars dvd looks stunning and lossless played through it. As for the usb, it spotted the drive straight away and reads it fine. (I am using a WD elements 1TB drive.)

Soundwise, we dont have a huge living room and the tv sits in the corner, I had originally planned a sound bar as a sound system was vetoed by superior powers, but to be honest the sound is fine for a 3x4m room and i wont bother with extra speaker at this stage, it definitely seems a step or two on from the d5520 i had been looking at.

watching youtube online on a 40 inch screen just adds to hilarity.

As for clearmotion, i am still trying to figure that side of things, but havent seen any speed issues yet.

The game playing on the PS3 is excellent (no delay on current games i have played and my poor death rate on MW3 is more my own issues rather than being able to blame slow delay. the Game setting isnt in the screen settings, but the main general settings, an odd spot but not something to get knickers in a twist, remember you are watching a bargain!)

So there is my little amateur input into this TV, which is superb and i cannot praise its picture quality enough, i am itching to hear what people think of the 3d side (and what their favourite glasses for it are). If anyone else has the USB drive issues or isnt i would be interested in hearing your experiences. I hope this helps people, as there are hardly any reviews for this TV out there and it was an accident i found it, as it seems sandwiched in the middle of the d5520 which is heavily publicised and the more expensive d8000 sets.

Nice write up, i'm looking forward to receiving mine now! I too am keen to hear about peoples experience with 3D.

For those interested Samsung have contacted me in regards to the panel being used and they have stated all their TFT screens are S-PVA and 'they believe' S-MVA isn't used in any of their screen. I'm not sure how reliable this information is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom