Samsung D6100 & Netflix

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by weemax, Jan 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. weemax

weemax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys! I'm just wondering if anyone has one of these tv's - or a Samsung smart TV & could try looking for the Netflix app?

I cant seem to find it anywhere :(

2. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Same here - have a D6100 but no Netflix App. Funnily enough if you do a search for Netflix it appears as one of the search results under Apps. Clicking on this result does nothing though.

I'd be interested if the app is yet to launch on all Samsung Smart TVs or whether it's just this model.

3. weemax

weemax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone with a 7000 or 8000 series TV could try to find this NETFLIX app?

Is it possible the 6000 series doesn't support it?

4. r4nd0m

r4nd0m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it became available this night at around 2am, at least on my 7000 series, prio to that I already contacted Samsung to query about it and received a reply mentioning that its not up to Samsung to maintain the repositories its the developers who submit the widgets and who decide on regions they should be made available ...

5. weemax

weemax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info, would appreciate if anyone else could have a look, thanks guys :) :smashin:

6. adamwebb28

adamwebb28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wasn't on my D6530 this morning but I emailed samsung who said they've only just announced the app and it is being worked on but couldn't say when it would be being released.

Seems strange seeing as the Netflix website says it's available on Samsung TV's!

7. ozsat

ozsat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Spotted the Netflix app and when loaded said I needed a tv software update too.

Done this and Netflix is working fine via Smart TV.

8. davidjearly

davidjearly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't get it on the D6530 here. Thankfully I've got the Xbox and AppleTV. Updating the software now hoping that helps.

9. DrovewayLuke

DrovewayLuke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was just wondering about this myself, for my D5520. Smart Hub updated itself, but only to remove and then reinstall LoveFilm, no sign of Netflix anywhere so far.

10. Izak

Izak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like we're not in luck (at the moment anyway) with the D5520, Samsung have apparently only released on the D6000 and above!! Considering the D5000 range is still very popular in shops and runs Netflix in the US, it is very frustrating to see Samsung dragging their feet in the UK.

11. MJ10

MJ10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to reports it's ONLY the D7000 and D8000 Smart TVs that are getting the Netflix app. BluRay players will get the Netflix app "in the coming months".

I signed up to the Netflix 1 month free trial in the hopes that I could go home and have a proper play with it on my Samsung D6530 SMART INTERNET ENABLED TV (as they say is possible on the Netflix website)... but No, it's hasn't been and will not be added for a while.

Emailed Samsung and was simply told "Netflix has only just been released in the UK and it will take some time for it to roll out onto compatable devices". Why on earth weren't Samsung ready and waiting to press the button as soon as it was launched seeing as they're on of the main sources of viewing Netflix!

[/rant]!

12. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Anyone that's got this working, can you comment on the quality please, is HD available and dare I say it, 3D?

13. weemax

weemax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes HD is available on some, but not all content. I think whether you receive HD content (when available) depends on your internet connection. Cant see anything in 3D though only had a play for 1/2 an hour before bed. The quality is not the same as BD Disc quality, though it is very good considering it is streamed.

Oh, no joy with this app on my Samsung D6100 though, this was through the 360 last night.

14. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Thanks, I imagine 3D will only be in SBS format anyway which suits me fine as my TV won't handle Full HD 3D anyway.

I'll see if my TV will install the app tonight and report back, may need to install the new FW that's just been released first though.

Also signed up for my Netflix account just now so am gonna hammer the one month free trial to decide if it's worth paying for yet.

15. r4nd0m

r4nd0m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I received the statement that its up to netflix to make it available in the different repositories or areas to be sent to the devices. so basically the developer provides samsung with the widget and tells them for which devices and regions it should be available ... its not samsung who manages the widgets they just maintain the repositories

@weemax - netflix doesnt have any 3d, if you use any other device other than samsung, you could use the trial of unblock-us.com and change your dns servers and login with your uk account to the us repository of netflix and browse and even stream the us content ... doesnt work with samsung devices recently for some reason I couldnt figure out yet, but any smarthub app fails to start due to, so it claims, network issues - so there must be some packets that are dropped ... its interesting to see however how much different the content is - uk content is much more behind when it comes to current releases

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  16. DrovewayLuke

DrovewayLuke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yes, but Netflix apparently requires a firmware update (not just a smart hub update - see here: Gone Digital | Netflix arrives on UK Samsung SmartTV) to work on the Samsung TVs, so I'd suggest that the Netflix app is doing something that requires the involvement of Samsung. So it's disingenuous of them to say it's all down to the developer.

I think what we are seeing here is another company struggling to come to terms with moving from the old way of making hardware and selling it, to making hardware, selling it, then supporting it throughout its lifespan. I guess Samsung make the same amount of money regardless of whether or not they release timely software updates. I've heard similar stories about Android updates on mobile phones.

Of course this is all short term thinking. If Samsung don't get their act together quickly, Google and Apple will take over the TV market with products that do adapt quickly in situations such as this. Then we'll have to choose between TV smothered in text adverts, or a glowing apple logo on the remote! :)

Luke

17. r4nd0m

r4nd0m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @Luke,

interesting find ... surely its the silverlight support, required for netflix streaming ... I was on 1020 already when it did show up, however if you switch the region on your tv from uk to us via ">>" 2,8,9 "<<" then set region to us netflix downloaded just fine even on 1017, connection via vpn worked for me ... keep in mind that netflix was available from start in the us on smarttv and the firmware was the same, depending on the locally set region features were enabled/available or not

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  18. satmanbasil

satmanbasil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

The Netflix app was available on my tv when i purchased it back in November 2011 but since i did two firmware updates the app just vanished from the app store. I have been in contact with samsung CSR and amazed the stories im getting from... "its not available on samsung tv"... to "do a firmware upgrade" ... to "its not available for my model" ?????

Come on Samsung get your act together and get this working on all your "Smart" tv's please otherwise stop promoting it !!

satmanbasil

19. Hansel

Hansel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In short, I think Samsung should be taken to task as they are clearly trying to make out via advertising (along with Netflix) that it's available on 'Samsung TV' well it 'kind of is' but only on 2 series and is not prevalent on their other newer ranges.

I can't understand why they just didn't roll out a lightweight OS that ran on all their 2010- kit.

Why have this situation where each model has to be configured - the OS should be updated across the board.

Samsung will regret this as content providers will look for companies providing platforms with wider appeal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  20. mpdee

mpdee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd update you on what samsung told me via there customer service when I queried the ability to use netflix on my D6100.

first response

Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I am sorry you are having this issue. I understand that this can be frustrating.

Unfortunatley, the Netflix application is only available on the D7000 and D8000 models. There is no information to if they will be released for your particular model.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

I grumpily queried the reason why and whether 'any' future apps would be received this

This is due to the hardware that is on the Samsung TV's. Your TV would not be able to support such application. We have had no information, as of yet, if there any future applications being released for your TV model. We do apologise about this.

21. Izak

Izak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung saying that these TV models can't support Netflix is a bit crazy. Don't they sell the same model in USA with Netflix support?

Seeing as LoveFilm, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, etc are supported and work fine, I'm sure Netflix would too.

22. plutus1947

plutus1947
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I note this thread was started in June 2010.

I have recently bought the Samsung BD6500 3D Blu Ray player and although I can access BBC iPLayer and Lovefilm on the Internet via my DVD Player I cannot access Netflix.

Neither is there an App for ITV Player.

I have contacted both Netflix and Samsung.

Samsung say the app is only available for D7000 & D8000 players.

Why?

According to Netflix there is absolutely no reason why the app can not be made available to my player, or to other Blu Ray players. I believe they said that the Neflix app is available on their USA models.

They say it is a simple matter to produce the app and would only require a firmware update.

I have many Samnsung products and I feel that they are not being very caring toward their customers if they produce an app for some players but not others.

It is nearly 2 years since this thread was started so why can't, or won't Samsung start thinking about their customers and produce an app so other customers can enjoy the privilege of watching Netflix films on their TV screens in the same way others can?

23. deagle

deagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The samsung 6xxx series is underpowered - despite the original Samsung advertising - hence it cannot do Full HD 3D or host the more CPU intensive apps.

24. gmccloskey

gmccloskey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. Hence my cunning plan to return my 6530 to Amazon for refund - for the no Full HD 3D issue - and acquire a new ES6710. The 6710 has dual core proc's - so hopefully should be up to the job.

25. deagle

deagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cunning plan indeed. But dual core ? Not according to this....

http://www.cedyaconcept.eu/img/accueil/samsung.pdf

26. disingenious

disingenious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little update to this: I have a UK 6 series (bought in UK, living elsewhere in Europe) and as a test, I connected to a proxy server in US and was able to install and use Netflix and other US apps; i.e. The TV ain't underpowered - It's just some crappy policy that Netflix/Samsung seem to have.

27. Chalkie

Chalkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Did you have to change the region settings or was it just using a proxy?

I connected to a proxy, changed the region settings and installed all the new apps, but none of them open, they all hang on "Connecting..." after 10 minutes the TV goes into standby mode.

-Chalkie

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  28. MLP54

MLP54
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Samsung 6900. I also bought a PolkAudio Soundbar 3000, no receiver. Using my DirectTV box, HDMI to the TV and an optical cable for audio out to the soundbar, it works fine. However, if I go to Apps and select Netflix, I cannot get sound through the Soundbar, only the TV Speaker. I've tried all the sound setting, but can't get Netflix audio to the external speakers. Any ideas?

29. FC360

FC360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a little confused, people say this TV doesn't have full HD 3D and yet when I watch 3D films it shows that it is full HD. The only time it doesn't have full HD 3D is when I play a 3D game on xbox 360 or use a 3D blu ray player that doesn't support full HD 3D, I tried out a friends and that only displayed 720p 3D but the Samsung 3D Blu ray I purchased has always played full HD 3D films.

As for Netflix I'm fed up with Samsung and not releasing the app on the D6100, the only nice thing is I have a Laptop, xbox 360 and blu ray player that all have netflix on them, well my blu ray is supposed to have it but I don't have it connected to internet so haven't checked.

30. weemax

weemax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 5 on demand & itv player apps don't work on this TV either.

Must be some "exclusive to currys" effort with little to no support.

There's still no Netflix app too, even though other 6000 series tvs have it.