• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung D381 Mini DV - Opinions - Make me feel better..

TheRoverdog

...Just ordered one for £60 with 3 mini dv's and a PC cable, I thought this was a superb bargain. It's only 3 weeks old and used once.

Anybody that has opinions on this unit please let me know your thoughts. I'm using it for family filming, christmas, school plays, bbq's. The Usual.

I have replaced my 9 year old Sony Digital 8 Camcorder which is now making loud whirring noices (mechanical) and giving up the will to function.

How will the image Quality between my new Samsung and my old Sony Dig8 camcorder compare????

Let me know your thoughts.

sonygeek84

Standard Member
I dont know how the image will compare but its a popular model and that was definately a VERY good price. where did you get it from?

senu

Distinguished Member
I dont generally up my expectations about Samsung camcorders, though to be fair 1 or 2 have been pleasantly surprising :)
Thier DSLRs and Displays ( PC and HDTV) tend to be tasty though:smashin:

Having said that you are best placed to compare the output to the D8.
My general feeling is that only the very best D8s would give an average MiniDV any headache despite similar encoding technology ( or indeed identical ) apart from physical tape
As such I suspect the Samsung will perform as well, if not better than the D8 unless it is a very C**P model
£60 is good though and even if it disappoints in some crictical areas it should give a fairly decent all round result with good lighting and judicious use of Zoom
Hope this helps:cool:

Last edited:

TheRoverdog

Was purchased on E-bay.

Also My sony was basic and not expensive all those years ago so I'm hoping to be impressed with the Samsung. At that price I couldn't say no.

I'll post later in week what I think of it!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom