Quantcast

Samsung CRT-HDTV!

Eiji

welwynnick said:
IIRC, the TX-R3080WH is a US model, and only has 1080i over component.
I did state it was a US model but you are incorrect in saying that the set only does 1080i over component, most likely because the specs on the official Samsung US site are 'incomplete'.

Its exactly the same as the TX-R3079WH specifications wise (HDMI etc) bar the cosmetic differences.

Read the manual on the website for the TX-R3080WH.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
from the EICTA guidelines for 'HD ready'

With reference to resolution, the core of the "HD ready" minimum requirements is: minimum
720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio (i.e. lines used to display a wide aspect ratio image).

I know its pedantic, I know its only a badge and the set may still work with all equipment that needs a 'HD Ready' TV, but I wanted to clear up this particular issue.

And I doubt this displays 720 lines *as is*, as very few CRTs do.

It also (kind of interestingly) addresses 15:9 screens. Seems if you have a 15:9 screen with only 720 lines of resolution, you are *not* HD Ready (you need to be able to display 720 lines at 16:9 (+/- 5%). So a 15:9 screen with 768 lines *is* HD ready, as long as it can display a properly proportioned 720p image in a 16:9 window.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Eiji83 said:
I did state it was a US model but you are incorrect in saying that the set only does 1080i over component, most likely because the specs on the official Samsung US site are 'incomplete'.
Could be!
And it might also have HDCP on the HDMI input. I hope so.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Hi Richard, there are lots of other flat panel TVs with more than 720 lines that are HD ready, so I really don't see what is the issue with this one. While it's not immaterial whether it displays 720p as 720p or 1080i, it doesn't stop it from being HD ready. There is no express requirement for progressive scanning, for example, though many will want it. If it can accept and display 1080i native, that is sufficient in itself. While desirable, not being able to display 720p native does not preclude HDR, though it looks like that is possible anyway. It is also 16:9 aspect ratio, so no problem there. However, Samsung do not make any mention of HDCP. That is not obligatory for HDMI, but it is for HD ready.

Nick

Nick_UK

Banned
Tony B said:
Are you sure about that?

i could believe that this might be so with monochrome, but not colour...
Yes, you are correct. In a colour CRT there are a fixed number of dots on the screen. These dots must act in a similar way to pixels on a plasma or LCD screen. However, the situation is often worse on a shadow mask CRT screen, because of the distance between the colour dots is higher than on a plasma or LCD.

Nick_UK

Banned
welwynnick said:
....... The electron beam can never register exactly with any one particular phosphor "pixel" or line, and it doesn't try to. It is always set up so that the beam spot is bigger than the phosphors, and it always overlaps a few of them.
Well for a start, Nick, there isn't a single electron beam in a colour TV, there's three. There's an electron gun for each colour. And if you've ever done a "purity" adjustment on a CRT, you would know that the purpose of this is to make the beam from the red gun strike the red phosphors, not overlapping ones ! If you get this adjustment wrong, you can end up with some very dark pictures, because the beam is hitting the shadow mask, and not the phosphor dots.

Eiji

welwynnick said:
Could be!
And it might also have HDCP on the HDMI input. I hope so.
The problem is, for the UK version of the TX-R3079WH, the WS32Z308P, Samsung removed the HDMI input and 1 of 2 component inputs and support for a 60Hz refresh rate. Quite sad really but Samsung have a chance at putting things right when they bring the newer model to the UK with hopefully all the features of its US counterpart.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Nick_UK said:
Well for a start, Nick, there isn't a single electron beam in a colour TV, there's three. There's an electron gun for each colour.
Yes, of course there are, and that is why there is a shadow mask. CRT pixels, unlike digital displays, are not addressable. You cannot aim the beams for a specific pixel. Whever the beams do strike, there will be a pixel of the right colour to illuminate. A "red" bem cannot strike a blue pixel because of the shaddow mask / eelctron gun geometry. And you cannot stop the beams from hitting the shadow mask. It might not sound very promising, but it does work.

Nick :)

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Nick_UK said:
Yes, you are correct. In a colour CRT there are a fixed number of dots on the screen. These dots must act in a similar way to pixels on a plasma or LCD screen. However, the situation is often worse on a shadow mask CRT screen, because of the distance between the colour dots is higher than on a plasma or LCD.
Not true at all. Yes, there are a fixed number of RGB triads, but these do not define or restrict the resolution of the screen. That is limited by the electron guns and the drive electronics.

The dots (bars, or stripes, actually) behave like plasmas, but only in the sense that they are phospors, and they are red, greeen and blue. In a CRT, you can have several "dots" in one video pixel, or you can have more than one line or pixel illuminating each phosphor. It's an analogue display, not a digital one.

Distance between the colour dots is higher...? Are you sure about that? I don't believe that is true, but I've never seen it specified for a TV. I've got an SD 36"CRT and a 50" 1366x768 plasma, and I'm pretty sure the CRT dots are smaller. The plasma dots are at 0.81 mm pitch, which is small for a plasma - about 1.0 mm is typical. I'll go and have a look tonight.

Nick

Nick_UK

Banned
I think you'd better read this..........

Cheap Hi-Res TV : Forget It

I think you are talking TV and thinking PC. Yes, you can get some amazing dot-pitches on small CRT PC monitors, but as the size increases, so does the dot pitch and dot size. As you said, not many TV manufacturers quote dot-pitch, and it's for a very good reason. Most domestic CRT TV's struggle to resolve a 640 x 480 picture.

"Big nasty secret: There does not exist a colour CRT tube, whether shadow mask or aperture grille, TV or computer monitor, that can clearly display all 1920 horizontal pixels of full-res HDTV.

There are plenty of computer monitors that can accept input resolutions of 1920 by whatever, or higher, but none of them have enough phosphor units to actually clearly display them. TV tubes aren't even in the race."

Goose74

Novice Member
My Sony FW900 handles 1920x1200 quite nicely thanks! It can go up to 2560x1600 and looks stunning

D

Demon1

Just wanted to post this from the Samsung knowledge base.

Important: Although HDCP was initially developed to protect digital content sent through the DVI interface, it has also been applied to the newer HDMI digital interface. All devices with HDMI interfaces are HDCP compliant.

Important: All Samsung TVs with DVI connectors are HDCP compliant. All Samsung TVs with HDMI connectors are HDCP compliant.

Nick_UK

Banned
Goose74 said:
My Sony FW900 handles 1920x1200 quite nicely thanks! It can go up to 2560x1600 and looks stunning
And so it might, but it's not displaying all the pixels :suicide:

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
The pixels on these monitors are almost invisible to the naked eye, and they have a video bandwidth of 350 MHz - 60 times that of an ordinary PAL or NTSC TV, and more than any current PC video card can throw at them.

They can display 1920 pixels.

Kalos Geros

I could see by looking at the Samsung 32Z308P at the mall, that its dot pitch didn't seem any higher than my 10-year old Samsung widescreen...and I have actually counted that my Samsung has 600 phosphor RGB clusters in vertical direction...I really wonder would 1080i be noticable with such a low dot pitch... :confused:

Nick_UK

Banned
welwynnick said:
The pixels on these monitors are almost invisible to the naked eye, and they have a video bandwidth of 350 MHz - 60 times that of an ordinary PAL or NTSC TV, and more than any current PC video card can throw at them.

They can display 1920 pixels.
Well, for a start Sony FW900's are 24" (22.5" viewable size) PC monitors not TV displays, which is what we were discussing - Samsung HD TV displays. Even so, if you do the math, you will find that it would not be possible to fit 1920 dots with a 0.23mm dot pitch across this size of screen.

The discussion is about the HDTV Slimline Samsung TV's, which are TV's, not PC monitors. Although the spec on these sets says that they have a "fine dot pitch", the spec conveniently omits to say exactly what the dot pitch is.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
I think it’s my turn to be pedantic, now Yes, we are talking about Samsung TVs, but I didn’t raise the subject of the Sony monitors. Richard just suggested they couldn’t display 1920 x 1200 because someone with no accountability on some website made an ignorant sweeping generalisation.
Nick_UK said:
Even so, if you do the math, you will find that it would not be possible to fit 1920 dots with a 0.23mm dot pitch across this size of screen.
On the contrary, if you do the maths, you get:
Aspect ratio = 16:10
Diagonal = SQRT(256 + 100) = 18.87
Diagonal = 22.5” = 571.5mm
Horizontal = 571.5mm x 16/18.87 = 485mm
Resolution = 485/0.23 = 2107 pixels give or take a few
That squares with my eyeball estimate.
Pedantic, yes, but many people do believe what they read in this forum, like HMDI mandating HDCP etc.

By the way, I took some high–res close up photos of our 36” Sony TV with a ruler to get an estimate of the number of pixels. I’ll see if I can show some of them.

Horizontal resolution? Curiously enough, near as damn it to 852 pixels! About the same as an SD plasma, and sufficient for PAL.

Vertical resolution? Difficult to say – the pixels are in fact continuous vertical stripes. When the DRC video processing is set 100Hz (low res), there seems to be about 480 distinct horizontal lines. Not brilliant but fair enough. When the DRC is set to 50Hz (hi res), it’s not possible to distinguish individual lines or pixels. IIRC, DRC is supposed to double vertical resolution in this mode, so that is consistent with the horizontal scanning frequency of the 100Hz mode. We think the 50Hz mode looks much better. (And, incidentally, rather better than our 1366x768 plasma, scaler or no scaler.)

The point there, though, is that the “dots” do not limit the vertical resolution, at least. The more scans you take per field, the better the resolution. The phosphors simply display whatever they happened to be scanned with.

MikeK

Novice Member
I think it’s my turn to be pedantic, now Yes, we are talking about Samsung TVs, but I didn’t raise the subject of the Sony monitors. Richard just suggested they couldn’t display 1920 x 1200 because someone with no accountability on some website made an ignorant sweeping generalisation.
Pedantic, yes, but many people do believe what they read in this forum, like HMDI mandating HDCP etc.

Ah, just to play devil's advocate for a minute :), but does the FW900 not feature TV style variable stripe pitch, where it's 0.23mm in the middle of the screen, and 0.27mm towards the edges.

Given the width of 19.1in, this means that 1920 pixels is actually c.101dpi across the width of the screen. Now .23mm stripe pitch, gives c.110dpi, so you're OK there, but 0.27mm stripe pitch only gives c.94dpi, not quite enough for 1920.

How's that for pedantic :) :)

Of course if you assume c.6% overscan, then you only have to display 1805 pixels - which means you can actually do it, even at the edges, but then you aren't really displaying 1920 pixels anymore.

Bottom line is that it's not quite so simple to compare FPDs and CRTs on pixel/dot/stripe pitch alone. It's certainly an indicator though - and while there may be exceptions, I tend to agree that there are/will be few CRT TVs which can truly do 1920x1080.
However, that doesn't mean they won't look really good anyway with HD material - and ultimately that's really the bottom line, not the actual number of pixels!

By the way, I took some high–res close up photos of our 36” Sony TV with a ruler to get an estimate of the number of pixels. I’ll see if I can show some of them.

Horizontal resolution? Curiously enough, near as damn it to 852 pixels! About the same as an SD plasma, and sufficient for PAL.

Yes - in fact 720 stripes would be enough these days (assuming equidistant stripes :) and the interpretation of PAL timing to be 53.33usecs per active line, but this is another debate - 702 would be enough for a 52usec active line)

Vertical resolution? Difficult to say – the pixels are in fact continuous vertical stripes. When the DRC video processing is set 100Hz (low res), there seems to be about 480 distinct horizontal lines. Not brilliant but fair enough. When the DRC is set to 50Hz (hi res), it’s not possible to distinguish individual lines or pixels. IIRC, DRC is supposed to double vertical resolution in this mode, so that is consistent with the horizontal scanning frequency of the 100Hz mode. We think the 50Hz mode looks much better. (And, incidentally, rather better than our 1366x768 plasma, scaler or no scaler.)

You'd like to think that there would be 576 lines viewable for a large PAL TV (not inc overscan of course) - however, as your experience may show, the reality is often a little different to what we may intuitively expect.
Of course some of these modern processing options can greatly complicate things, esp when the manufacturer is a bit vague about they really do!

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
MikeK said:

Ah, just to play devil's advocate for a minute :), but does the FW900 not feature TV style variable stripe pitch, where it's 0.23mm in the middle of the screen, and 0.27mm towards the edges.
That's absolutely correct. If you take an average of 0.25mm, then you do end up with 1920 pixels. Some specs say it can accept 2300 or 2500 horiz res, but when I tried that, it didn't look right. Sony recommends 1920x1200, and with good reason. I'm happy that's it's real resolution.

Whether a CRT HDTV can actually resolve 1920 x 1080 is another matter. I've heard several people say they can't, and I wouldn't be surprised if that applied to the Samsungs, too. At least they accept 720p and 1080i and display them both at (near) native, which probably means they would look very good. It's good news that Samsung sets with DVI/HDMI take HDCP, I just hope the UK sets will have them. HD by YUV only is too much hard work.

Nick

Nick_UK

Banned
welwynnick said:
Pedantic, yes, but many people do believe what they read in this forum, like HMDI mandating HDCP etc. .
Pedantic ? Yes. Correct ? NO !

Because you don't understand what "dot pitch" is ! Dot pitch is the distance between pixels, not the diameter of the pixels !

Of course you could fit 2107 pixels across a 485mm wide screen if the dot diameter was 0mm, but even if your pixel was 0.2mm diameter, you're only going to fit about 1000 into that space. Sorry to disillusion you, but you should make sure you understand what the terms mean before you make "sweeping generalisations" ! ;) :rolleyes:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/jargon/dot_pitch.htm

Eiji

While were on the subject of dot pitch, Samsung's WS-32Z308P 1080i HD CRT has a dot pitch of 0.77mm according to some Dutch folks who have been 'observing' the set.

Here is a picture one of the members took:

Attachments

Nick_UK

Banned
Are you sure they are not getting confused with the definition of "dot pitch"? It is one of the most confused terms - lots of people think it refers to the actual size/diameter of the pixels, but it doesn't.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Eiji83 said:
While were on the subject of dot pitch, Samsung's WS-32Z308P 1080i HD CRT has a dot pitch of 0.77mm according to some Dutch folks who have been 'observing' the set.
Well that is interesting. I took some pictures like that of my 36" TV - there should be one attached - and counted 112 pixels in 100mm, giving a pixel pitch of 0.89mm, or very close to 36/32 times the size of the Sammy. That suggests they have similar number of pixels - about 850 horizontally. You would expect a 1080i set to have more than twice that number. I was led to believe that they wouldn't actually resolve 1920 horizontally, but I didn't think they would fall that short.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Nick_UK said:
Pedantic ? Yes. Correct ? NO !
Because you don't understand what "dot pitch" is ! Dot pitch is the distance between pixels, not the diameter of the pixels !
OK, hands up all those people that think that Nick UK is wrong. The reference you gave just said "the distance between the pixels". That's rather loose, but it certainly didn't mean the gap between them. The word "pitch" is widely used to refer to the distance between periodically recurring items, such as threads on a screw, bricks in a wall...., many spatially repeated events.

In each case, though, the pitch is the size of the item plus the gap in between - it is the distance between the same points in the recurring items. In our case, it is the distance between, say the centreline of the red phosphor in one pixel and the centreline of the red phosphor in the next pixel. That is what pitch means.

To prove my point, I put a ruler up against my monitor, and counted 40 pixels in a centimetre - and I can post a picture to prove it tonight should that be necessary. So a little less shouting down of other people when you don't know what you are talking about, if you please! :nono:

Nick

Trending threads

Latest News

Musical Fidelity announces M8xi integrated amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces price rises for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display OLED panel production below forecasts
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published