1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung CRT HDTV set to rival plamsa's...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leigh_1973, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4160731.stm (bottom of page)

Quote :

"Samsung though has developed a new technique to create high-definition CRT (cathode ray tube) sets which are a third thinner at the back end than conventional CRT sets.

This also means that the sets are about a third of the price of plasma screens. "

So one third of the price of a plasma for a HD CRT, nice. Unfortunately it doenst mention anything about screen sizes, so do we assume up to 36" tops?

What do you think?

2. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want one and when can i get one in the uk

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be less th en 42" that is for sure.

I'd like to see 1/3 less!

Current tv's are barely 1/3 less as it is and they are not HDTV.

Koing

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    This may use 'ThinCRT' technology which allows multiple set to keep expanding the screen size with no joins. So may well go beyond 80"s.
    It will nodoubt be great for people who like pq over aesthetics.

CH

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's called vixlim. I know very little about picture quality for this tube but it says the whole set is no deeper than 13" There is a samsung website dedicated to it but it's the usual blurb, no real substance. As far as I know it's only 32" maximum size, I don't know if Samsung produce a 36" tube.

Could be interesting though for those on a tight wallet and room...

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's an amazing angle to get yer electrons flying at, that's for sure. It must be difficult to get the geometry right at the edges. I'd love to run DVE on one!

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the blurb on the vixlim website they've produced a special DY coil to get around the obvious problem with focus at the edges. I must admit my concerns lie with how much the focal length changes from centre to the edge - there must be some serious engineering going on there to correct the focus over such an area from such a short focal point. I would like to see one myself, even though I probably won't buy it because it's too small!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well they cant make a decent plasma!!!! so this will be great or utter tosh!!!!!!!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A technically fascinating set of problems to overcome, and for what? LCD will be this price in a few years, and it's still a lumpy thing, not cool.

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

I disagree. I like it :blush: CRT is not dead. I love my pj and would only ever watch dvd's from it (or maybe hidef as & when hardware allows :) )
    But Ive been down that 50" plasma route with the 503 on the very first day it was released. And although I loved watching dvd's on it, there was something not right (i mean that it felt un-natural :rolleyes: ) watching normal daytime or evening viewing. Ie. The News or Deadenders.... That may make sense to some :laugh:

I now feel 32" is plenty for bulk standard tv viewing, and if i wanna go into movie mode... out the pj!

LCD's are just not cutting it for now (even the best ones). Plasmas are very very good but IMHO still lagging CRT.
    People will disagree with me and they are welcome to. I have seen nearly all the LCDs and Plasma's out there and as impressed as i have been still think it is lacking.

CH

11. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, cool is not necessarily good. Picture quality is my primary concern when buying a TV and neither plasma or LCD have the beating of CRT in this department. As CH says, it lacks naturalness and I also find that colour fidelity always seems to be lacking regardless of how long you play with settings.

I'm well happy with my 51WH36 and I see no reason to change as yet. HD broadcasting is still not with us and sadly I think the format issues will drag this down and delay mass roll out of HD for some time yet.