1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung Cable conundrum

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by barneybelly, Sep 7, 2005.

1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered the LE32R41B and was planning in advance what cables i would need for the best viewing pic possible.
    I gotta admit that i am a bit of an amateur when it comes to 720 hd blah etc....
    So if i tell you what i got could some knowledgable folk out there tell me the best way to connect and what i need?

Panasonic E85 DVD Recorder

Sky Box

Samsung tv (coming soon)

I won't be using this tv for xbox/ps2 etc as thats all set up in a different room on a crt tv.

One newbie question.....i have read a few things on here about progressive scan and that its a good way to view dvd's....how do i go about setting mine up with this and is there a seperate cable to use?
    See...i told u i was a newbie!!!!
    Also...whats component and is it better than scart?

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Component cables consist of five cables; red/green/blue ones for video, and red/white for audio. They're the same kind of cables as Composite (red/white/yellow) but they carry a different type of signal. Rather than sending the signal over one cable, the "brightness" (black and white) picture is sent over the green cable, the blue colour information over the blue cable, and red over red. The green colour information is worked out mathematically. Everything is seperated like this so that they can't "mix" in with each other, softening the image, and "muddying" the colours.

They're very similar to RGB SCART in terms of quality, but generally aren't as bulky as a good quality SCART, from my experience. Technically RGB SCART should provide a better picture with interlaced content, however that is generally not the case. Most televisions handle a component signal much better. The Samsung definitely does.

The advantage of component is that they also support progressive scan, which is far superior to "interlaced" images. Images on a television set are made up of hundreds of lines. With interlaced signals, the picture is made up by flashing between all the odd and even lines 50 or 60 times a second. This means that there is never a whole picture shown at once, even though you perceive it as one. This causes flicker, however.

Progressive scan displays the whole image at once, showing 50/60 full images per second. This removes the flicker, and shows off more detail. Progressive scan images can also be higher resolution, showing off even more detail. LCD televisions are progressive in nature, so they have to blend together interlaced images to display them on the screen. (this is why they don't flicker) This can sometimes slightly blur the image, however sending the television a progressive signal removes this.

Basically it means that you want to send a progressive signal whenever possible.

If your DVD recorder supports component, connect it up with that. You should then have an option somewhere in its menus (turn it on without a disc in) to enable progressive scan. Not all players/recorders support this however, so the option may not be there.

If you're wanting to get the very best quality out of DVDs, you will want to purchase an "upscaling player." Standard DVDs are at a resolution of either 480p, or 576p, depending on whether they're NTSC or PAL. (uk dvds are PAL) Your television runs at a resolution of 720p, so these images have to be stretched to fill the screen.s

The television will do a good job of this, but an upscaling player will do a far better one, as it uses advanced image processing and sends the television a 720p signal. These can also be connected up with even better types of cables, either HDMI, or DVI. HDMI is better, but it is backwards compatible with DVI, you just need a cheap DVI > HDMI cable.

Here's an example of what an upscaling player can do with a DVD:

[​IMG]

That image is an example of what the Oppo upscaling player can do to enhance a DVD. It is said by many to be the best quality DVD player you can buy, and is about £140-180, depending on where you buy it. At the time, I had to import mine from America, and it cost me £165 after paying customs duties on it. Power is not an issue; you just need to cut the end off, and wire it up with a UK plug.

Basically, you want to connect everything up to the TV via its best connection. Here's a list of what you'll have on the television, in terms of worst to best.

• RF "aerial" cable.
      Composite cables. (red/white/yellow)
      Composite SCART (Ext. 2)
      S-Video cables (red/white/black)
      RGB SCART (Ext. 1)
      Component (red/white/red/green/blue)
      VGA
      HDMI

I hope that helps, and that I didn't go too indepth. (I have a feeling I probably did though)

3. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Brilliant explaination for us newbies.
    Thank you
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fantastic response Andrefee....much appreciated.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Due to the purchase of the new tv i don't really have the money to buy a new dvd player so will be sticking to my Panny dvd recorder.....
    I have checked with my dvd recorder and am not sure if it does progressive scan....in the manual it says it can do progressive video....is this the same thing?
    so how do i go about connecting this up and what cables do i require?
    So am i right in saying that when the tv arrives it will be best to connect my sky via the rgb scart and the dvd via the component cable?

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    That is correct. :) You'll just need some component interconnects.

As with all cables, they'll vary wildly in price/quality. You'll either get three cables with "RCA" style connectors on the end for the video, or five cables, for video and audio. If you're connecting up to a surround system and not using the TV's speakers, the video-only ones are what you should go for. (no point in paying for two other cables you're not using)

[​IMG]

6. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...i have a seperate amp speaker set up so will not be using the tv's speakers so anybody know a good reasonably priced place i can purchase from?...or does the tv come with a component cable provided?

Thanks again andrewfee....could do with transfering some of your tv knowledge into my head as i feel such a newbie in all this!! :smashin: :thumbsup:

7. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOOHOO.....just been informed the tv is being shipped today :thumbsup: :smashin:

So off to town i go now to purchase some new cables!! :)

8. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **** me....just got back from town and can't believe how much stores are asking for a component cable :eek: :eek:

Anybody know a place online were i can get a decent cable at a decent price?

9. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know specifically myself, but THIS THREAD looks useful.....

10. ihshaikh

ihshaikh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a great post, you answered most of my questions.....one thing missing from the list though SCART > SCART connection (non RGB)...how would you rate this?

This is how I intend on hooking up my system:

DVD (HDMI to HDMI)
    SKY DIGITAL (RGB SCART TO RGB SCART)
    DIGIFUSION FREEVIEW (SCART TO SCART)

Is that ideal for best quality picture?

11. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Scart to scart (non RGB) is the same as composite scart as mentined in andrewfee's post. Basically a non RGB scart is not fully wired and is the same as a composite connection.

12. ihshaikh

ihshaikh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

And if all 21 pins are wired then its a RGB scart?

13. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I don't think it's as clear as that. I believe that even some fully wired scart cables only carry a composite signal. If the packaging states it's RGB scart it should be but there are cases when even though it's stated on the packaging that is not the case. If it's a cable by a well known reputable brand you should be allright otherwise the only way to find out is to try it.