Samsung BPD-1400 & 7.1 tracks

eddytrouble

Standard Member
You guys,

I got a Samsung BPD-1400, just upgraded to latest firmware. I got a few questions.

I am going to buy an Home Theatre system, and will get receiver and speakers separately. My budget for the Receiver is £150-£250.

My initial idea was to invest the cash in a really good 5.1 receiver, as there aren't many movies with 7.1 soundtracks. Furthermore all Dolby TrueHD soundtracks seem to still be 5.1. Then I noticed that there's many DTS-HD MA soundtracks which do play in 7.1, actually.

My questions then are: my player decodes Dolby True HD, but is it only via HDMI bitstream, or can it actually decode itself? In that case I could connect each channel to the Receiver analogically, and that would be it. I know it decodes DTS-HD MA as well, with the latest firmware, but is it only bitstream or is it actual decoding, that I can then use with analogical connections?

Basically my choices are:

1. Get a really good 5.1 receiver, and connect analogically to the Blu-ray player, and get Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtracks fine. That is if my Blu-ray player decodes Dolby True HD internally.

2. Get an ONKYO TX-SR506 B, which supports 7.1, and connect analogically to the Blu-ray player. Provided my player actually decodes DTS-HD MA, then I would get 7.1 sountracks correctly. Cause this Receiver won't decode DTS-HD MA bitstream, correct?

3. In case that my Blu-ray player only sends DTS-HD MA bitstream, is there a good receiver around which decodes it, and that I could use?

If my questions made any sense at all, could you please reply? ;)

Eddy

kingfats

Distinguished Member
My questions then are: my player decodes Dolby True HD, but is it only via HDMI bitstream, or can it actually decode itself? ?

Eddy

Hi eddytrouble. :)
The 1400 can internally decode TrueHD no problem. :smashin:
All the best.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom